GreaseSpot Cafe

Hot dog eating contest

kimberly

Well, my 4th of July is complete. Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest was on, of all channels, ESPN. The coverage leading up to the fierce competition was hilarious. It showed the top two guys and them having their game face on, as the announcer so seriously put it, before the chowing. I am still chuckling.

I was entertained until they actually started forcing wet dogs and buns down their throat. I have a weak stomach when it comes to people foaming at the mouth with what looks like regurgitated food. I gag if someone talks with food in their mouth and I see it. The boy thought it was hilarious. Must be a guy thing.

• Upvote 1

The announcers were great!

I was tuned in as Joey Chestnut defended his world title against the onslaught of Teveru Kobayashi, setting a new world record in a match that wasnt decided until the last seconds

It was humorous but disgusting,---and very.....american------a good thing for he fourth

Where exactly does someone put 68 hotdogs and buns? How do they force in two at a time and just jam em down like that over and over ?? :o

I dont think I could eat 68 hot dogs in 2 or 3 years, never mind 10 minutes...

All Hail the champ!

080416-chestnut-hmed-9a.standard.jpg

Edited by mstar1

hot dogs.. hot dogs..

It reminds me of a time..

my mother cooked up about a dozen or more hot dogs which were not eaten. Now we had a cocker spaniel.. it wasn't really large or anything..

she fed this character one hot dog at a time.. I think it "blew her mind" (well, it was the early sixties..) that this dog could consume one cold, frigid hot dog after another.. and so many.. probably a pound and a half, or two, of the said hot dogs..

well.. we were camping. This explains the multitude of hot dogs..

but we were invited to stay at a friends house. Where indeed did the said hot dogs really go..

the next morning, one could follow a trail, where said dog which gorged in hot dogs went..

we were NEVER invited back. Not that I remember..

:biglaugh:

ooohhh, come on outintexas...hotdogs, popcorn, peanuts, crackerjacks, bbq, apple pie. The top 3 winners of this contest are not obese. I was surprised the one hefty dude was not ranked.

There ain't no rules how we celebrate our freedom, day in and day out, unless you want to blow off somebody else's hand.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/10/11/what-is-really-in-a-hot-dog-and-how-unhealthy-are-they.htm

Fun Hot Dog Facts

to Impress Your Friends

In 2006, Americans ate enough hot dogs at major league ballparks to stretch from RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. to AT&T Park in San Francisco.

New Yorkers eat more hot dogs than any other city population (even Chicago, also known for its hot dogs).

Travelers at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport eat six times more hot dogs than travelers at Los Angeles International Airport and LaGuardia Airport combined.

Hot dog season -- during which Americans eat 7 billion hot dogs -- stretches from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Americans eat 150 million hot dogs on the fourth of July, alone

nor does the drunken use of explosives--but it seems to be a tradition for some reason

As Craig Ferguson said on the Boston Pops fireworks show, "We're gonna celebrate in true American style - by makin' a lot of noise and blowin' stuff up!"

Mustard.. I live for mustard..

The cat does not get mustard..

*They* (cats) demand that I wake up at seven AM..

*they* must be fed..

well.. one waits. Until about 8 or so..

It requires eggs..

well, two egg yolks..slightly cooked..

I get what's left over..

hehe