GreaseSpot Cafe

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone

waterbuffalo

This sounded so good...

"Why I Quit Church and Started Attending Love Feasts"

Then, it sounded so familiar...

Nothing new under the sun, I suppose...

Apparently, Baptist minister turned Mormon, now doing own thing house church but will speak at your house church if you book him...

Edited by waterbuffalo
  • Upvote 1

It seems to be a bit of Mormon flavor added to post-modern thinking. I think you will notice that the emphasis is on community and not doctrine, which sets it apart from the TWI home church concept. Could you imagine having a dialog during the actual "message" part of a twig gathering? I don't think so.

What this guy is talking about is pretty much where I've been headed for the past 10 years (without the Mormon thing of being pre-destined royalty), and didn't know why. It seems to be kind of a stream of consciousness that's been awakening in people. This is yet another person who is manifesting it with some interesting twists.

• Upvote 1

It seems to be a bit of Mormon flavor added to post-modern thinking. I think you will notice that the emphasis is on community and not doctrine, which sets it apart from the TWI home church concept. Could you imagine having a dialog during the actual "message" part of a twig gathering? I don't think so.

What this guy is talking about is pretty much where I've been headed for the past 10 years (without the Mormon thing of being pre-destined royalty), and didn't know why. It seems to be kind of a stream of consciousness that's been awakening in people. This is yet another person who is manifesting it with some interesting twists.

Ah, yes, I thought the same thing, Tazia, at first.

But, would it really be like that once you got involved...

I have my doubts. They started it, so my guess is it's THEIRS...no matter how involved and supportive other Christians become who hook up with them. Again, just my opinion for what that's worth.

I would have to agree that this particular page has more of the all inclusive flair of the post-modern movement. Then I started looking around and I'm getting more of a zionist kingdom (exclusionist) vibe than a post-modern kingdom vibe. So it's the same ol' our ways are the righteous path stuff.

• Upvote 1

He's got a few other things you don't....

http://www.greaterthings.com/SterlingDAllan/FAQ/grandeur_following.htm

"Do you not believe, as Joseph Smith taught, that you can eventually become God? I do, and I think you do too. Does not the Christian world find this so preposterous and so delusional as to be blasphemous? You know they do, and you know that this is one of the defining differences between Christianity in general and Mormonism (at least it used to be) -- a defining difference on which President Hinckley wavered when questioned about it by Larry King. (Sept. 8, 1998; ref.)

I believe that all can and eventually will attain to godhood."

============================

Genesis 3:4-5 (NIV)

4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Genesis 3:4-5 (NASB)

4The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die!

5"For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

I've heard this claim before.....

I see similarities in the pagan groups in my area with th unstructured twigs back when I first got involved in TWI.

Lots of the Wiccans, pagans, heathens and various and sundry in my area meet informally in small groups in homes and campgrounds. Twice a year, Halloween and midsummer we have something more grouplike but very casual--potluck or campout, and the annual witches' ball. We know we will see pagan folk if we go to a certain new age store(which has a meeting room in the back) or the occasional New age/Renfaire held around the area. There is also a coffee shop downtown that is a favored meeting place.

The small group I gather with now and then is 4 middle aged ladies. We all have different labels and beliefs, one is a green witch, one is a bruja, all different, but we all have a background in basic Wicca( we met in an Traditional 101 class held at the local store some years ago)and part of the dynamics is to find and agree on what we want to do and why. We don't have a lecture/teacher/audience type of structure.

I have visited another group of pagan folk from my job--a couple open their home to about six Wiccan types. They are all in their twenties, have small children and do quite a bit of socializing together. They also favor very fancy gowns for rituals! We met through pagan jewelry(I don't wear a pentacle at work because some people are afraid, but I do have a charm bracelet with charms that look like leaves but are obvious pagan/Wiccan symbols to pagans and Wiccans.) I enjoy their group but prefer my spangle free middle aged ladies.