GreaseSpot Cafe

Betching and moaning sessions

Bolshevik

In my experiences, a lot of folks seemed to like to go to twi fellowships to talk about how the world sucks. One could have a bad day, or think they did, and then come to fellowship and talk about how the world is messed up and the adversary is giving them a hard time. People would talk about their non-standing spouse, coworkers, neighbors whoever. Everyone could shake their heads with you and say "The world, tsk tsk, they need da Word, they have no real power, blah blah . . . blah." It reminds me of how bullies pick on people to make themselves feel better. I think I've been to fellowships where, that's the whole fellowship, sit and b!tch about everyone who annoys you.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Edited by Bolshevik

If any of us didn't notice that behavior from our wayfer days Bolshevik, it might be simply because we don't remember doing exactly that. :doh:

• Upvote 1

I thought it said Belching and moaning, so I thought it was in referance to....umm well, something else.

Betching, moaning, screaming, hollaring, denying, complaining, accusing, bemoaning, bi+ching, lying.

Yeah, I recall.

If someone is having sex, the twi folks are having better sex.

If someone is having a meal, the twi folks are eating better.

If someone is excreting, twi folks have a gold seat on which to put their snobby azs.

If someone is driving a red truck, the twi folks' truck is redder.

The world sucks, we have to live in it and we have to tolerate the worlds crap.

Blah puke

• Upvote 2

How bout the more subtle version then?

If only God would bless them as he has us...sigh.

Or the one out of Wierwille's own mouth which went something like,"They are blessed just to have you in their communities...that's right!"

• Upvote 2

Nope.

Back in my day, it was unacceptable to talk about anything "negative".

"Your car just breathed its last breath? Well, praise God! He must be getting ready to bless you with any even better one!"

:rolleyes:

It's still unacceptable to talk about negatives. But what did you guys say about unbelievers you dealt with?

it was always about how much better we were than worldly people and yeah, there was plenty of criticizing people who had left or who wouldn't listen to the "word" we were speaking.

there was also plenty of backstabbing other "believers" when they weren't around.

the very best, though, was when I was getting divorced and the mother's day "teaching" was on Abigail and what a great woman she was because she put up with so much abuse from her husband and still stood by his side and that's why god was able to bless her so much.

:mad2:

sorry, gonna go barf now.

• Upvote 1

. . .

there was also plenty of backstabbing other "believers" when they weren't around.

. . .

Once there was a meeting in which I was not in attendance, and which was audiotaped. I was chewed out for doing something I was not yet aware of. The next day I was called in for a yell session. That evening I heard the tape.

It didn't bother me. I was used to it. But it, and seeing others get picked on, made me realized waybots just look for opportunity to degrade another.

It's still unacceptable to talk about negatives.

Happy Birthday call last night that was a blast from my past and she said "you sound sad, are you sad?"

I said "no, not sad, I'm pizsed off"

She said "negative thoughts and feelings? You know better, we'll be believing for you"

The next thing she heard was "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up and dial your number again"

Yeah, that cheered me up

• Upvote 1

Happy Birthday call last night that was a blast from my past and she said "you sound sad, are you sad?"

Now normally I don't do off-the-cuff-smart-@zz, but I have heard a variation of this BS so many times that I actually have a canned response prepared.

But before I say it, let's examine this interaction. Now, nowhere but in Way-stupidity-brain-land are you ever going to find a statement like this where someone can go from zero to j@ck@zz in 0.5 seconds. This is classic "way brain" going on here. The poor girl probably thought to herself "I'm looking for an opportunity to minister to someone". However, reality is much different. She is calling with the pretense of wishing you a happy birthday, but the real habit is to troll for some response to reprove. This is also classic "Job's miserable comforters" tactics. What is really amazing is that they show up when you're not miserable and try to make you so. It's a "Job's-make-you-miserable-comforter".

When I hear a question like this, my radar goes "reeeh reeeh reeeh braying donkey alert" and I go into :B) mode.

I usually respond, "Why no, actually I am feeling fan-f-ing-tastic, thank you for asking. But the fact that you brought up being sad mistakenly indicates that your mind must be focused on sadness. Perhaps you are projecting. Is there anything you need to share with me so I can help you out?"

Usually that obtains the desired result - them exiting all huffy. To say they actually learn anything from that type of exchange is a stretch. They wouldn't learn if you engraved it on a 2x4 and whacked them between the eyes with it so they had to look at it in the mirror every day. But I have noticed the end result is that after a few verbal exchanges of this nature, they stop pulling that BS on you and move on to try it out on some other person.

Now maybe I'm a touch overreactive here, and maybe I'm on a soap-box, but to me it's taking back my life in all the little things that I'm after. And is it wrong that I do a little dance after? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Edited by chockfull
  • Upvote 1

yeah, good way to go too!

The same day, yesterday, a ran into another miserable comforter in the grocery. She patted my arm and said "how are you?" to which I of course replied "doing very well, thanks" when she said in a syrup dripping voice "reeeeeeeealllllllllyy, are you really doing well, do we need to talk?" She is, as she often reminds me, a Christian woman.

WHAT THE PHUECK

So, in my maturity, I said 'and how are you' to which she of course replied she was fine and dandy thank you. I said "are you sure?" and she was taken aback, replying "well, you don't have to be bi+chy".

I had to say it "yes, in fact I do have to be bi+chy, I'm past sick and tired of your condescention and pompious smirky shi+ to me.

Another thread for another universe, but I sometimes think I have a tattoo on my face that says I'm incompetent and stupid, talk to me thusly.

TWI is just the straw that breaks the thing and the vessel through which they suck.

And no, a little dance is not wrong, it's about time.

Edited by Shellon

...snip So, in my maturity, I said 'and how are you' to which she of course replied she was fine and dandy thank you. I said "are you sure?" and she was taken aback, replying "well, you don't have to be bi+chy".

I had to say it "yes, in fact I do have to be bi+chy, I'm past sick and tired of your condescention and pompious smirky shi+ to me....snip

Remember before we turned 50 when we thought it necessary to use tact when saying yuck foo to those who so badly beg for it???

I said "no, not sad, I'm pizsed off"

She said "negative thoughts and feelings? You know better, we'll be believing for you"

The next thing she heard was "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up and dial your number again"

Yeah, that cheered me up

What a fine group of bonified, trained counselors we were! :smilie_kool_aid:

It seems to me that according to Bolshe's initial post that if a regular part of TWI fellowship was looking down on everybody else that eventually we'd become incompetant yet oddly self-cogradulatory clowns...hhhmmm.

Especially in cases requiring real counseling skills to produce good results.

And if we as Wayfers then refused to come down off of our high horses would we not then become defensive and somewhat paranoid clowns w/out any real adequate skills as pertaining to counseling and helping people.

Heck, and it seems to me that this scenario only applies to those who are unwittingly tripped up by being puffed up but still had good intentions.

How sad the end IMO for those who instead of good intentions have willingly clung to the abuse and have hid it too?