GreaseSpot Cafe

Inspiration and the inerrancy of Scripture

When I originally wrote the sentence, I used the word "earliest", but I changed it to "early" for just the reasons you cited. I think I and II Samuel were probably the first books originally composed at Solomon's scriptorium, and those would be earlier than some others. I think the writings of Moses, etc. were upgraded, probably put on more expensive material, using the latest script.

I don't think Moses would have written in the Proto-Sinaitic script. Heck, I think he could have written in hieroglyphics! Maybe it was Moses that converted the Proto-Sinaitic script into Paleo-Hebrew.

I'm not writing this stuff to kick up any arguments. It's like shootin' the breeze around a campfire, and I'm enjoying all sides of it.

Love,

Steve

Steve,

Any “argument” in the classical sense (posting an idea, having dialogue, and a possible concensus) is good stuff! I’m all for it. So, don’t apologize for kicking up ideas and information.

I’m also of the opinion that Moses probably wrote in hieroglyphics (brought up in the house of a Pharoah’s daughter will do that for you…) and may have had a hand in the alphabet. I wrote a piece for publication while in seminary on the language of the Jews from the Biblical evidence (how it developed, morphed and grew firm with the publication of the MT). I’ll try to find it and update it for today’s audience.

I’m interested in the evidence you might provide for books being “composed” in “Solomon’s scriptorum”. Also, I’m interested in the verb you used for Moses’ writings (“upgraded”); script and material only? There are some who feel that they were edited. I don’t; there’s no evidence for this, IMHO.

Now, on the heels of that article that I attached I’ll attach another for discussion (rather than just shock and awe). It was written by someone whom I respect and opens a lot of areas of inquiry and answers a lot of questions. FF Bruce wrote this article back in 1946 for the Victoria Institute, an organization of evangelicals who actually wanted to discuss inspiration and inerrancy. The other article was attached to give people the sense of what one has to do in Biblical research. The notion that Paul was a non-scientific prophet must sit in the consciencousness while reading (not, say, as an angel on the shoulder kind of thing, but in the awareness). These difficult Scriptures to understand in the Western mind can be ferreted out. There are other contexts, many that relate to women in the Bible, that cannot be understood without the historico/cultural aspect being brought in.

Anyway, here’s the next article. Hopefully this helps jump start the discussion.

Well, tried five times to attach the next PDF without success. I'll try doing it in paragraphs.

RE

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Been a while, & I haven't read all the posts since the last time I posted, so I'm sorry if this point has been covered already. But I came across this verse just a few minutes ago. It reminded me of a point that was percolating within me when last I was here, but didn’t get to post.

The verse is Psalms 119:140 (KJV)Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.

“very pure?” How does that apply to our topic, “Inspiration and the inerrancy of Scripture?”

How pure is very pure? Is it almost completely pure? Does that make scripture very inerrant? Is that like almost inerrant? Almost inerrant is not innerant.

Psalms 12:6 reads, “ The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.”

No matter how many times silver is purified in a furnace, it is never 100% pure. I think words are like that. Language is constantly developing, improving or degrading, in a human field. Language development studies show languages improves over time up to a point – then languages start to degrade.

At any point in a human language’s development, can God ever purify it to the point where we can say it is 100% pure?

I think not. Nothing in the earthly realm can be made completely pure. That’s why we need Holy Spirit - because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

I think language is like that. It is a human means of communication. God can purify it, but it is ultimately imprecise. It takes Holy Spirit to enlighten the eyes of our understanding as to the truth of the Word that is recognizable as holy in application.

Maybe I’m wrong. What do you think?

Love in Christ,

Tom

. . . . It takes Holy Spirit to enlighten the eyes of our understanding as to the truth of the Word that is recognizable as holy in application.

Hello Tom,

Apart from your story book who told you there was such a thing as a Holy Spirit?

Is your alleged Holy Spirit any different to the Holy Spirit J.w's claim?

Is your alleged Holy Spirit any different to the Holy Spirit Mormons claim?

Is your alleged Holy Spirit any different to the Holy Spirit SDA's (7th Day Adventists) claim?

Is your alleged Holy Spirit any different to the Holy Spirit Moslems claim?

Is your alleged Holy Spirit any different to the Holy Spirit Hindu's claim?

Is your alleged Holy Spirit any different to the Holy Spirit Buddhists claim?

Hypothetically assuming you have one and assuming another denomination beat you to them, how do you convince an illiterate person that your particular Holy Spirit is the correct one and they have been duped by those that came before?

Cheers!

Edited by Composer

I guess I just don't get.. I'm not trying to be the "dissenter" who takes this discussion in a different direction, so I hope this post is actually helpful if only to aid others to clarify their thoughts on the subject.

But to me, it seems like you can't avoid circular logic if one is going to attempt to arrive at calling anything "God's words".. Which then makes the attempt rather, well, subjective and biased.. Am I wrong?

I have no doubt that the creator of the heavens and earth left His mark in everything. It's clearly evident even today with anyone who makes something. Whether it be the unique way your hand moves with every stroke or the logic each person utilizes and pushes into their creation. To some extent I believe it is unavoidable. The same reason you track who made bombs, viruses, and other man made creations back to the original. So in the same way, I believe God's handiwork has a sort of indelible mark.

Course with that, one has to first start with the premise that there is someone/something that created such said things before one can begin to define his attributes that then could be used to actually pin point his "mark". So before I could even begin to acknowledge various "writings" (graphE - aka: scripture) as being "breathed" by God, well, we'd have to actually start from scratch. I'll accept the premise of there being a "creator" of the heavens and the earth since there is enough scientific prove to persuade me on this, but you'll have to persuade me how you jump from there to the Bible is His very words.. Maybe you guys didn't want to go there, and are looking for those who already "accept" your premise of the Hebrew writings (and the various canons thereof) or even further of the NT writings.. But if you ask me, I like to check everything, consider it all suspect until proven. Anti-american maybe, guilty until prove innocent, but why wouldn't I, I was already taken for a ride by those whom I approved innocent but were wildly guilty!

Ok, there's my starting spiel...

While I believe some things written in said Christian writings may actually have been said by our Creator.. I believe many things in there are also writings of those who were "inspired" by our Creator, and not HIS actual words or even possibly His complete and without variance thoughts on any such matter.. Just so you know, my POV!

Personally I don't see 2 Timothy 3:16 as actually defining what "writings" he refers to when he says "All God inspired and profitable writing [is] for teaching, for reproving, for perfecting, for the training in what is right....." I actually see him referring to two things, those writings both inspired and those profitable..

Hi Spec,

RE: your post above, “But to me, it seems like you can't avoid circular logic if one is going to attempt to arrive at calling anything "God's words".. Which then makes the attempt rather, well, subjective and biased.. Am I wrong?”

I think so, and here is why I think so:

Subjective means:

1. Taking place within the mind and modified by individual bias

2. Of a mental act performed entirely within the mind

You said, “I have no doubt that the creator of the heavens and earth left His mark in everything.… I believe God's handiwork has a sort of indelible mark.”

I am entirely in agreement. Consider this, Spec. If God indelibly marks His handiwork and His Word is His handiwork, His Word will bear His signature.

That’s all quite redundantly said, but it is not circular. It starts with God. It ends with His mark establishing what is and what is not His Word. While it may appear to the outside casual observer that this process is subjective and biased because it takes place entirely within the mind, it is not subjective because God is there - working with you – confirming the Word as His – with signs following. That’s His mark.

Matthew 18:15 ¶Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Christ is the indelible mark of God on His Word.

When God has written His Living Word on the fleshy table of your heart, His signature is there, His mark, on your heart.

Then with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, you, we, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost.

• 2 weeks later...

No one is required to "answer" you. Quit goading others. You are more than welcome to your opinion as is everyone else on this board.

I was at first led to believe this is a discussion forum?

You know, present a question, expect sensible legitimate evidence in support of answers?

Apparently not!

God first

thanks Composer

no will prove anything nor can you

we believe and you do not

and I never told you people will do anything nor did anybody other

look they not even talk to you if keep on

so what you do not believe as we do

there are Atheism here

they post in doctrine too

but tell us in a showing love

and they make some good points

but you to be bitter

I know Paul was trying to fight but I a big boy

look up the Way Ministry before you speak and also check JW because there are some EX-JW

know you are talking to

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Edited by year2027

Hi everyone,

Perhaps this info would be more useful here in this thread rather than where I posted it yesterday in response to a comment by Robert on the old thread about my article. Anyhow, for what it's worth...I've found James Barr's works very helpful in understanding the issue of inerrancy of the scriptures, so maybe some of you might, too.

snapback.pngroberterasmus, on 08 March 2010 - 11:25 AM, said:

The inerrancy issue is very important to some who do think the the originals were "perfect".

RE

Posted Yesterday, 08:16 AM

Indeed, it is.

Most of us acknowledge that the inerrancy of the Bible (that it is free of errors or discrepancies of any kind) is not only a hallmark of fundamentalist thought, but of many evangelical positions, as Bob points out it is addressed in many institutions of higher learning. We understand it comes from the idea of divine perfection, i.e. that "God is perfect," so His Word (the Bible) must be "perfect." This is an idea VP inherited and propounded in PFAL over and over again.

Where this idea comes from is interesting to me, so I thought the following info might be useful to others interested in this thread. This is from the biblical scholar, James Barr, in his book Fundamentalism, pg. 277:

"When conservatives say that the Bible is inspired by God, this means for them that it is completely without faults, failings, errors or discrepancies of any kind, or that such as exist are so absolutely minimal as not to count. What is the basis for this conclusion? There is no biblical or exegetical ground upon which it can be made, and conservative apologists do not even pretend to attempt an exegetical demonstration of it. [ Penworks note: exegetical means explanatory, in this case explain from the Bible.] The implication is a philosophical one. The nature of God is to be perfect; and if he involves himself in something, as he would do in inspiring a collection of books, these books would partake in the divine qualities of perfection...This way of thinking about God does not come from the Bible. In the Bible God is presented above all as active and personal: he can be argued out of positions he has already taken up, he operates in a narrative sequence and not out of a static perfection. The picture of God which presents perfection as the essence of the doctrine of God is clearly of Greek origin and is well represented in the Platonic and Aristotelian traditions. It was incorporated into Christian thought at a very early date and has remained extremely influential. "

I'd like to know when this "very early date" was. Does anyone participating in this discussion happen to know?

James Barr's credentials are outlined in several places, including in this tribute by Vanderbuilt University upon his death:

James Barr

Cheers,

Pen

Edited by penworks

I was at first led to believe this is a discussion forum?

You know, present a question, expect sensible legitimate evidence in support of answers?

Apparently not!

the quality of your questions may have a lot to do with your expectations not being met

demanding answers is a quintessential form of violent communication

hospitality is a wellspring of sound reason

Steve,

I’m interested in the evidence you might provide for books being “composed” in “Solomon’s scriptorum”. Also, I’m interested in the verb you used for Moses’ writings (“upgraded”); script and material only? There are some who feel that they were edited. I don’t; there’s no evidence for this, IMHO.

The book where I read about the possibilities of a scriptorium in Solomon's court was Scribal Culture and the making of the Hebrew Bible by K. van der Toorn, 2007. His main considerations were the relatively expensive support that a professional scriptorium required, and the wealth of Solomon's court, rather than any hard archaeological evidence. I went up to the University library to consult the copy I had read, but I couldn't find it on the shelf. The students are finishing up their papers and their finals, and the library is a mess. I worked at Waldenbooks off-and-on for seventeen years, and I'm well familiar with the problems of mis-shelving. Otherwise, I'd give you some page numbers.

I didn't mean anything deep by using the word "upgrading." I was just thinking about the possibility that the books of Moses may have been originally written in proto-Sinaitic. Purely speculation.

Love,

Steve

...In the Bible God is presented above all as active and personal: he can be argued out of positions he has already taken up, he operates in a narrative sequence and not out of a static perfection. The picture of God which presents perfection as the essence of the doctrine of God is clearly of Greek origin and is well represented in the Platonic and Aristotelian traditions. It was incorporated into Christian thought at a very early date and has remained extremely influential. "

I'd like to know when this "very early date" was. Does anyone participating in this discussion happen to know?...

Second Temple Judaism wasn't monolithic and neither were the Christian communities that sprang from it.

Hellenism made itself felt throughout the eastern Mediterranean world and east as far as western India in the inter-testimental period. In the first half of the first century, the Jewish writer Philo was generating an hermaneutic by combining Jewish exegesis and Greek allegoric interpretation. Some people claim Philo was the true creator of Christianity!

There were a mix of philosophical schools between 300 BC and 200 AD, with Stoic, Epicurian and Cynic being common and Stoicism being dominant. So a lot of Paul's Gentile converts were coming to Christianity with various philosphical predispositions already formed. Many took what Paul wrote and ran with it, without making careful distinctions between what they were learning from Judaism and what they already believed from philosophy.

That's not very definitive, Pen, but I hope it helps!

Love,

Steve

Edited by Steve Lortz

Thanks, Steve. I'll look into Philo and the rest. The "where did that idea come from" sort of question always interests me and naturally, this one does very much because in my view it affects the main premise of TWI research - inerrancy...

Cheers!

the quality of your questions may have a lot to do with your expectations not being met

demanding answers is a quintessential form of violent communication

hospitality is a wellspring of sound reason

The facts are that the quality of my questions are so correct and decimating to false ideologies, that those questions can not be legitimately answered and so pitiful excuses or silence are the inept alternative provided in lieu of a shred of credibility for the ideologies that oppose mine.

My questions and facts are hard hitting certainly, for they are NOT what false religions and self acclaimed but failed story book Jesus believers want to hear.

Thanks, Steve. I'll look into Philo and the rest. The "where did that idea come from" sort of question always interests me and naturally, this one does very much because in my view it affects the main premise of TWI research - inerrancy...

Cheers!

I've been reading Augustine for awhile. I got interested while I was reading The Ruin of the Roman Empire, The Emperor Who Brought It Down, The Barbarians Who Could Have Saved It by James J. O'Donnell (2008). He also wrote a book called Augustine, A New Biography. I got hold of a copy, and that fired me up to find out what Augustine actually wrote. So I read Confessions (I cheated a book report on Confessions forty-three years ago, passing the report with an informed/lucky guess rather than by reading), and now I'm working on City of God. Synchronistically, I got to Book VIII, chapter 6 earlier today. Here are some quotes,

"The Platonic philosophers, then, so deservedly considered superior to all the others in reputation and achievement, well understood that no body could be God and, therefore, in order to find Him, they rose beyond all material things. Convinced that no mutable reality could be the Most High, they transcended every soul and spirit subject to change in their search for God. They perceived that no determining form by which any mutable being is what it is---whatever be the reality, mode or nature of that form---could have any existence apart from Him who truly exists because His existence is immutable."

"The Platonists have understood that God, by reason of His immutability and simplicity, could not have been produced from any existing thing, but that He Himself made all those things that are. They argued that whatever exists is either matter or life; that life is superior to matter; that the appearance of a body is sensible, whereas the form of life is intelligible. Hence, they preferred intelligible form to sensible appearance. We call things sensible which can be perceived by sight and bodily touch."

These quotes are from pages 152 and 153 of the Image Books edition of The City of God (1958), edited by Vernon J. Bourke, ISBN 0385029101

The Platonists posited the existence of two parallel cosmoi, the kosmos aisthetos or cosmos accessible to the senses, and the kosmos noetos or cosmos accessible only to the mind. Everything accessible to the senses changes, therefore the kosmos aisthetos is inferior to the kosmos noetos. God never changes (His immutibility), so He Himself, though He does not belong to the kosmos noetos, can be approached only through the insensible realm. Neo-Platonists confused ideas about spirit with ideas about the insensible realm and came up with the "spirit realm versus the natural realm" dichotomy. The Platonists, along with all the other Greeks, continued to subscribe to the idea that a material, mortal body is inhabited by an immaterial, immortal soul.

It would appear that Augustine preferred his Christianity mottled with Platonic dialectic.

Love,

Steve

(edited to correct Greek terminology)

Edited by Steve Lortz