GreaseSpot Cafe

The Bible is folklore,

Of course there is folklore in the Bible. Does that, in itself, detract from its value? I think you have to consider the intrinsic purpose and value of folklore. Folklore exists because people want to preserve information that they feel is important. I wouldn't be too surprised to find that parts of Proverbs or Jesus' parables were derived, at least in part, from "folklore". Why should that disqualify or devalue the messages they contain?

• Upvote 1

pretty broad generalization there, wouldn't you say?

Is it? If we take the human heart to mean the seat of human intent, thought and interaction. . . . what is comparable? Nothing. . . . not a thing except God. Above all else. . . .what else is there? Pretty limited IMO.

I think that means it is so bad. . . . it is unexplainable. :)

Just think of what we are capable of in terms of deceit. . . .

Edited by geisha779

God first

thanks modbaker

thanks old friend

I glad have peaceful board

thanks all that you do

with love and a holy kiss Roy

thanks cman and Ham and waysider and geisha779

cman yes my friend

Ham and waysider it does not add or take away from things they teach us

folklore is all around us we used it to teach a negative and other used to teach positive

yes it is limited geisha

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Is it? If we take the human heart to mean the seat of human intent, thought and interaction. . . . what is comparable? Nothing. . . . not a thing except God. Above all else. . . .what else is there? Pretty limited IMO.

I think that means it is so bad. . . . it is unexplainable. :)

Just think of what we are capable of in terms of deceit. . . .

perhaps. then there are those of us.. who would rather go live in a tent in the woods somewhere.. than start a fanatical hitlerian cult of sorts..

In a general sense.. I would acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE for the mind to be that deceitful. History answers that question..

Just think of what we are capable of in terms of truth.

I think if you turn the bible upside down or at least a little sideways,

you can get a better view.

Looking at anything from one side is deceiving, and only part.

Nice point on folklore waysider.

Much truth in there.

Perhaps the heart can be more truthful then anything else too.

perhaps. then there are those of us.. who would rather go live in a tent in the woods somewhere.. than start a fanatical hitlerian cult of sorts..

In a general sense.. I would acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE for the mind to be that deceitful. History answers that question..

Not to put too fine a point on it. . . .but, as former fanatical Wierwilian cult members. . . . we got tricked. . . our hearts lead us down the ugly path. Hey, some people won't even admit to that.

It isn't about degrees of deceitfulness. . . .VP vs Hitler . . . the human heart is deceitful. Easily caught up in lies. . . my opinion anyway. It doesn't mean we are not capable of great good though. . ..

Edited by geisha779

some just ran off and started offshoots..

somebody said to me.. I won't say who. :)

the only thing I will say.. I wanted to sell old pfal junk on ebay.. but the said person circumvented.. "don't let a TREASURE to fall into the wrong hands.."

and a previous comment..

"They (the offshoot) needs somebody like you.."

no kidding..

no thanks. If it came down to that, or having to live in the woods somewhere (I did that once :biglaugh:)

I'd live in the woods..

:biglaugh:

I'm still trying to find out what family here, that I belong to..

well.. I'm patient. Let me know now, or the next lifetime..

be warned.. *part* of me.. will remember some of this the next time around..

You know, this whole discussion makes me think about the controversy that erupts, from time to time, regarding the works of William Shakespeare. (Stick with me; there is a parallel.)

For the past 200 years or so, people have debated whether one man was capable of being the author of the many works we attribute to The Bard. Are they the works of one man or a conglomeration of the works of many? That's the essence of the ongoing debate, complete with references, citations and irrefutable proof from both camps.

Does any of that matter when Puck frolics about the stage, in Midsummer Night's Dream, practicing his trickery and mischief? Does any of that matter when, in The Tragedy of Hamlet, the observer is faced with real life questions about insanity, incest and corruption?

One man wrote it all or a hundred men put their pens to paper. No matter. "The play's the thing."

• Upvote 1

Does any of that matter when Puck frolics about the stage, in Midsummer Night's Dream, practicing his trickery and mischief? Does any of that matter when, in The Tragedy of Hamlet, the observer is faced with real life questions about insanity, incest and corruption?

One man wrote it all or a hundred men put their pens to paper. No matter. "The play's the thing."

heh..

as long as they have good dope, who cares..

:biglaugh:

OOPS!

I thought you were talking about THIS kind of "dope".

"Thou art a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy worsted-stocking knave; a lily-liver’d, action-taking, whoreson, glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar, and the son and heir of a mungril bitch."

Kent, King Lear (2.2.15-23)

edit: That's Shakespeare's version of "--------and the horse you rode in on." :biglaugh:

(Not you, Ham, just a generic portrayal of a "dope"."

Edited by waysider

i knew you knew that....:)

just thought it was a good place to say it....

:) History also bears this out. . . . that we are capable of extraordinary acts of goodness and great self-sacrifice.

maybe I should rephrase that..

having witnessed or fallen victim to that kind of deceitfulness.. I would not practice the same.. even to who might be described as my worst enemy..

I give a big Amen to that.

For the record here, I DO believe in an Intelligent Designer/ID (I call God for want of a better word) however it is not worthy of my worship (especially not the alleged trinitarian story book one)

The biblical text itself or any other alleged Holy Book ' are nothing more than a story book of fantasy fabricated by mortal men.

There is NO legitimate evidence to conclude it is the Words of a God given to man.

Cheers!

Everyone is welcome here, Composer, so long as they follow the basic rules. You know, stuff like "no name calling", "no personal attacks", etc. We have people here with a wide variety of spiritual convictions, including those with none.

Cheers back at you