GreaseSpot Cafe

Enlighten me.

OldSkool

I am a musician and have played professionally. Naturally, way productions is absolutely repugnant to me. I mean it just sounds bad on all accounts. The people that have talent in that group sound like people who have talent playing in a REALLY bad band. I could go on but the video of Sputz doing the robot chicken on Grease Spot's main page says it all.

Now, I have heard a lot of the old way productions. I think my favorite was Pressed Down. I mean those guys could tear it up and I would wager even deaf people could jam to the vibrations they were so good. Now Rozilla likes to propagate a story about them where they played and Doc Vic was just infuriated with them and had them picking up trash the next day. Anyone got the skinny on this?

Here's a thread I started that you might find of interest.

Ya, that's the same root topic for sure. Musicians are ego-maniacs. Good grief. Then you get garbaged floating around like the words are the most important part of the song. Which is one of the reasons way productions sounds so horrible. The mix is all backwards. Plus they have no clear lead singer most songs but more of a chorus of ladies trying to out sing one another. Anyways.

Was The Forehead a musician? :biglaugh:

If you are an artistic person, it is inevitable that Way doctrine will knock the creative wind out of your sails. Hell, you can't even use the word "creative" without hearing some sort of correctional lecture.

And that they did.

Then you get garbaged floating around like the words are the most important part of the song.

I think John Popper of Blues Traveler made a good point about the words being the most important...

It doesn't matter what I say

So long as I sing with inflection

That makes you feel that I'll convey

Some inner truth of vast reflection

But I've said nothing so far

And I can keep it up for as long as it takes

And it don't matter who you are

If I'm doing my job then it's your resolve that breaks

Because the hook brings you back

I ain't telling you no lie

The hook brings you back

On that you can rely

There is something amiss

I am being insincere

In fact I don't mean any of this

Still my confession draws you near

To confuse the issue I refer

To familiar heroes from long ago

No matter how much Peter loved her

What made the Pan refuse to grow

Was that the hook brings you back

The hook brings you back

On that you can rely

Suck it in, suck it in, suck it in

If you're Rin Tin Tin or Anne Boleyn

Make a desperate move or else you'll win

And then begin to see

What you're doing to me

This MTV is not for free

It's so PC it's killing me

So desperately I sing to thee of love

Sure but also rage and hate and pain and fear of self

And I can't keep these feelings on the shelf

I've tried, well, no, in fact I lied

Could be financial suicide

But I've got too much pride inside

To hide or slide

I'll do as I'll decide and let it ride until I've died

And only then shall I abide this tide

Of catchy little tunes

Of hip three minute ditties

I want to bust all your balloons

I want to burn all of your cities

To the ground, I've found

I will not mess around

Unless I play then hey

I will go on all day, hear what I say

I have a prayer to pray

That's really all this was

And when I'm feeling stuck and need a buck

I don't rely on luck because

The hook brings you back

The hook . . .

On that you can rely

The Hook, lyrics by John Popper

Good one Oak! biglaugh.gif

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> Edited by dmiller

I've never played professionally, but I've spent a lot of time on stage holding/ picking a variety of instruments while performing for an audience sitting in front of us (the band) expecting entertainment. All of my playing music for the past umpteen years has been a hobby/ something fun to do/ an avocation (if you will) rather than a vocation. In all my years of picking (and being in the "opening group" for some pretty well known national acts), I've never been "micro-managed" by any of the stage managers/ promoters of the concert/ festival/ etc., the way I was when I was asked to play a simple song (that I had written) for twig.

Not only did I have to play the song for the twig leader before twig (listening intently with furrowed brow - - obviously concentrating on the words of the song), I also had to listen to their BS suggestions that I change a few words that they (somehow in their "spiritually renewed mind") decided didn't fit. I told her (yes it was a she) to forget it. I either did it the way I had written it, or it was a no go.

I'm the least "ego-maniac" you'll ever meet when it comes to music and performing it on stage, but to be told by a total neophyte (when it comes to music) how and what to sing or perform really, really (did I mention "really") rankled. Twi seemed to think they knew "it all" when it came to __________ (insert any topic here). Fugg em. They knew nothing then, and know nothing now about anything, even though they pretend to "know everything with God's blessing on it all".

If twi were to get a new name, I'd call them AWAC.

(A$$holes Without a Clue). They've certainly "manifested their ineptness" in every category imaginable.

OldSkool, I had a topic (I think the first one I ever started here on GSC) a long time ago about creativity in twi. Now I can't find it and I don't have time to delve into the depths of the Cafe to find it. It was a great discussion with several creative people on the subject.

OldSkool, I had a topic (I think the first one I ever started here on GSC) a long time ago about creativity in twi. Now I can't find it and I don't have time to delve into the depths of the Cafe to find it. It was a great discussion with several creative people on the subject.

HERE it is.