GreaseSpot Cafe

Lamsa

Pax

I once asked Dr. Bruce Metzger what he thought of George Lamsa's translation of the Cry of Dereliction.

He said, and I quote exactly, "Rubbish."

He was well aware of Lamsa's work, and thought it corrupted by doctrinal biases beyond usefulness.

I was next door neighbors with one of Metzger's best friends [N.P.] for years. My wife and I attended cocktail parties (lol) with him and Isobel often on F____r Road.

Most respectable scholars believe it's an allusion to Psalm 22 and, if so, perhaps the gospel writer wants one to assume Jesus was eliding the salvific conclusion of that lament. Don't get your panties into a wad, real scholarship is grown-up stuff... not props for some imaginary, superman, historical messiah.

My God, My God, for this was I spared... to be free of cult crap and stinkin' thinkin' (my cry of deliverance)

Edited by Pax
  • Upvote 2

Well Lamsa made his own Bible, and he didn't really know what he was doing, but he thought he did, and so few people were doing anything with Syriac and Chaldean, much less Aramaic back then. The majority of his Bible was just a modern language translation of established versions and rarely deviated from them much except in a few key places where ARAMAIC supposedly made all the difference.

I guess it was interesting to know that a rope couldn't go through the eye of a needle. I think Lamsa tried to make a case that he was the premiere Aramaic scholar, and no one would really say otherwise back then, either because they didn't know Aramaic, or because they were happy to see their scholarly field receiving some long overdue attention, and perhaps, some respect on the horizon.

I have no problem with scholars except when they lie or lose sight of common sense to feed their egos. And they are a very small (yet often vocal) percentage of each field of study. For those who do the work and learn through their studies, I have nothing but respect, as long as they correct rather than codify their errors - if and when they discover them.

The Way International does the reverse. and if something is glaringly wrong, they whitewash it and push on without correcting it.

It seems to me that one can tell when a Biblical Scholar has finally "arrived" in that he no longer believes in much of anything anymore. He embraces agnosticism with open arms relieves himself of the daily struggle to try to make sense of the inherently irrational...

• Upvote 1

Ah, Geo. Geo. Geo., how could I love you any more? not if you were a believer.

.... rational/irrational.... yes ,the substrata of primitive religion (fundamentalism) is indeed irrational and, thus, dangerous and despicable. Primitive religion is bad religion, it sucks.

However, I hold out hope that I can be Christian rationally (perhaps rational Christianity IS agnostic in that it doesn't claim that faith is fact).

My Christianity is an effort to live rationally -- few doctrines except Romans 13:8 have really assisted there. The church is rational, to me, because it structures my life in community... (fancy for ‘makes me up with put, and be up with put by, other people’).

If it results in helping the poor and promoting peace and justice that’s rational enough for me (here's the rational substrata of the Bible actually).

There are examples of rational scholars within the church (most of them seem to give lectures at Oxford); Gloomy Dean William Ralph Inge was one, I think. 'Gloomy' because he lost his beloved daughter as a child.

Marcus Borg, I think, is another.

Rational, of course, includes fallible. It's a path. We both hope that people who leave TWI and its irrational, sick religion will break out of the wilderness and find it.

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita

mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,

ché la diritta via era smarrita.

Ahi quanto a dir qual era è cosa dura

esta selva selvaggia e aspra e forte

che nel pensier rinova la paura!

Tant’ è amara che poco è più morte;

ma per trattar del ben ch’i’ vi trovai,

dirò de l’altre cose ch’i’ v’ho scorte.

Io non so ben ridir com’ i’ v’intrai,10

tant’ era pien di sonno a quel punto

che la verace via abbandonai.

what about his successor, Rocco A. Errico and his Noohra Foundation from Smyra, GA? any opinions?

what about his successor, Rocco A. Errico and his Noohra Foundation from Smyra, GA? any opinions?

Dear Thomas,

Rocco A. Errico is WORSE then Lamsa ever was.

Perhaps he's a bit brighter, but this is like throwing gasoline on the fire.

Everyone gets burned.

Errico is in it for the all mighty dollar, like 98% of the other modern Aramaic Primacy movement people.

If it's possible, Errico is even more 'New Age' then Lamsa was, and he does NOT believe that there is a devil.

I rest my case.

Peace, Albion

of course there is Agnes Smith Lewis, Matthew Black, Charles Cutler Torrey(not sure if he is related to Ruben Archer Torrey of Moody Bible Institute), and Arthur Vorbius from University of Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that one can tell when a Biblical Scholar has finally "arrived" in that he no longer believes in much of anything anymore. He embraces agnosticism with open arms relieves himself of the daily struggle to try to make sense of the inherently irrational...

Amen! :eusa_clap:

www.abouttheway.org has a few good articles on Lamsa and Aramaic.

Check the "Biblical Research" and "Reviews" sections. The article in the Reviews section reviews TWI's own interlinear Aramaic New Testament, showing how it contradicts TWI theology on several important verses, such as John 1 and Gal 4 (the deity of Jesus Christ), John 21, Philp 3 (death), Mat 28:19 (the Trinity).

Regarding the "cry"... it translates the word as "spared" but two chapters earlier translates the same word accurately as "forsaken."

Contrary to what Lamsa thought, Aramaic was never ignored by New Testament scholars. Greek NTs put Aramaic variant readings in the footnotes where they are signifcant.

It's peculiar that TWI latched on to Lamsa. Lamsa had his office at Unity School of Christianity, which is a "New Thought" group like Christian Science. His actual beliefs contradicted TWI theology on almost every signifcant point. There is a lengthy article on Lamsa in the "Research" section of abouttheway.org Wierwille liked authors that said wild things, no matter how ignorant and inaccurate they were.

I knew this guy, who took Lamsa to the edge of his life, all he would read was Lamsa, all his reasonings came from Lamsa, crazy things? I read Lamsa for the context of the story being told, Lamsa gots a lot of Diamonds in the ruff?