GreaseSpot Cafe

Hallmark Channel Plots

Broken Arrow

This is a television plot. Attractive female, blond, in her early to mid-30's returns home to the family farm after being away for many years. Her father just died and she is back to attend the funeral. The rest of the family, though they love her, are hurt that she left and found a new life in New York City. She didn't even come home when father was ill, but that's because he never let on how serious his illness was.

There's the mother, always sweet, encouraging, and content. There's the younger brother who stood with the family through thick and thin, and his very pretty wife and 2 children aged 10 and 12. Brother is bitter toward the older sister for leaving, leaving him alone to take care of the family homestead. It just so happens it's Christmas.

After the funeral, the family's attorney comes over and it's then we found out that the farm hasn't been profitable for years. To make ends meet, the recently deceased father was taking out loans. The equity in the farm has been tapped out, moreover, dad had not paid back taxes. The estate has to come up with $70,000 by December 31st or the farm faces foreclosure. It's already December 15th.

Meanwhile, in a coffee shop in town, Bubba hears that the long lost sister has returned home. The long lost sister, call her Ellie, left him for the lights of York York when they were 18. He still loves her and he's been very lonely since his perfect wife died 5 years ago. Besides, his shattered children need a mom. He loves Ellie, but let her get away and now it's too late...or is it?

But the plot thickens because Ellie has a business partner that is also her fiance. He keeps calling and asking Ellie when She's coming home, the business simply cannot operate without her.

This is the plot of every made-for-T.V. movie on the Hallmark Channel. Maybe a different wrinkle here and there, but basically the plot.

Probably good that I dont watch that channel much...but at least it sounds better than the channel where every woman has been abused, raped or molested.. I dont know the name of it but it's 29 on my clicker.. If Im passing through it usually takes about a minute and a half to figure out who the recovering molestee is, the roles of the 3 or 4 different women that support her, who the evil shadow man from her past is, and a few pieces of her shattered persona that she is valiantly struggling to put back together to overcome her fear and pain.....

I usually get about that far... then I continue on to "Cash Cab"

Mstar, I think you may be watching at the wrong times. There are plenty of movies on that channel but I read the describtion carefully, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for those films.

Sunday nite there is a great series called "Army Wives". It's never man bashing...just a story of 5 or 6 women on the same army post and their lives. It's a fun show...but...maybe men wouldn't like it...but that doesn't mean it's man bashing.

:) Yea i know thats probably got to be the case, and I didnt mean to downplay the sensitive subject matter either...I know that it is real problem and something that many women struggle with----but--Its just that I always happen to see that same story line when Im on there.

I dont know if its a formula that works for their demographic so they stick to it, or if their staff writers are just out of other ideas but it doesnt pull me in.

....and FWIW I dont like the "Origins of Chewing Tobacco", "100 ways to blow up stuff" or "Bikini Babes in Fast Cars" type shows either...

I have a hard time finding anything I like on TV.

Sorry---I didnt mean to derail this thread

I do have to say that Lifetime has actually improved in the past couple of years... They acquired Project Runway (one of my all time favorite shows EVER) and have done a better job with their original series than those ridiculous movies. I am not bashing the subject matter either, but when a network consistently shows movies about abuse and thinks that that is the only subject matter that an audience of women will approve of, then they need to re-examine their thought processes. It look like Lifetime is doing that now.

Being a woman, I find it insulting that movie companies think I should fit into a little tiny box defined by my gender as far as what movies I would like. I don't do well in that category. I am a woman who likes science fiction, good dramas, historical films, documentaries, and "dick and fart" humor. I don't enjoy romantic comedies. I think that confuses some people.

....and FWIW I dont like the "Origins of Chewing Tobacco", "100 ways to blow up stuff" or "Bikini Babes in Fast Cars" type shows either...

I have a hard time finding anything I like on TV.

Sorry---I didnt mean to derail this thread

Remember when the History Channel used to be about...history? Now you get "Ice Road Truckers", or those guys who travel around buying antique junk, or that show about lumberjacks. Shows about actual history are few and far between anymore.

Remember when the History Channel used to be about...history? Now you get "Ice Road Truckers", or those guys who travel around buying antique junk, or that show about lumberjacks.

:biglaugh: I dont get the shows about every profession under the sun either---Pawn Shops,Fishermen,people who decorate cakes, or do additions to houses--

The History Channel must've run out of old Hitler movies to show or sumpin

You have an interesting sense of humor Mstar!!!

I pick and choose looking for good science stuff, some things on the comedy channel, and other things here and there. If I can find a good drama that's good. I will admit to one soap opera and as a woman I believe we are entitled to 1 (you guys hog the TV for football etc, so we get at least one soap!!)

I agree, TV generally stinks lately....but isn't that why they invented NetFlix?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not making value judgements here. No one's choices are better than others. I'm talking cliches as in certain networks in reality re-hash the same theme over and over again. I'm picking on the Hallmark Channel (because my wife watches it) but Cop and lawyer shows do the same thing, and is it possible to come up with anymore medical/hospital dramas?

I don't even have to watch the show most times to know what is going to happen.

Edited by Broken Arrow

Sunday nite there is a great series called "Army Wives". It's never man bashing...just a story of 5 or 6 women on the same army post and their lives. It's a fun show...but...maybe men wouldn't like it...but that doesn't mean it's man bashing.

I love "Army Wives." Of course, you could put Catherine Bell in a show about Yellow Pages delivery people and I'd watch it! And "Army Wives" has Kim Delaney, Brigid Brannagh, Wendy Davis, and Sally Pressman; all worth the ptice of admission!

E_ArmyWives_325.jpg

George