GreaseSpot Cafe

bin Laden is Dead

krys

I'm glad justice has been served and I think the operation was necessary. In the overall scheme of things, though, it doesn't mean much. Terrorism still exists; there are still plenty of people who hate the U.S., some of which are American citizens, and there still is much danger ahead for our country. I had the same reaction when the Berlin Wall fell. People at that time were talking about what a safer world we lived in since the Soviet threat had been neutralized. Were we safer? No. Tyranny just came in another form.

. . .

That makes me wonder if would have been better to keep him alive. At least we knew who to keep pressure on.

I don't mean in any way to demean the role and courage of our military. In fact I honor them. Nor do I underplay the importance of the mission itself because I think it was necessary. I'm just not rejoicing in the streets crying "victory!"

BA, while the cry may have been victory, I think people were actually celebrating justice being served--one of those rare times we note good really does triumph over evil.

J1580.jpggod-bless-america.jpg

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Reminder to pray from Christian Breaking News:

Missionaries Call for Prayer for Safety and Evangelism in Wake of bin Laden's DeathAimee Herd (May 4, 2011)"When there is a need for a sense of safety and peace, there's an opportunity to spread the message of a peace that surpasses human understanding."

bostonmemorial.jpg

Missionaries near and far are reminding Believers that there is a great need for prayer for safety and evangelism in light of Sunday's news of Osama bin Laden's death. (Photo: Reuters / Brian Snyder)

Wendy Norvelle, associate vice president and spokesperson for the International Mission Board for the Southern Baptist Convention, noted, "They have really pled that Christians here, instead of celebrating, would fall on their knees and pray for an opportunity to share the Gospel."

She added that a death can often open doors of communication as people seek comfort and answers, and that can also mean an open door for evangelism.

At the same time, Norvelle warned that the risk of danger for Christian missionaries in Muslim nations was increased, and the Church should be praying for their protection.

Source: Stephanie Samuel – Christian Post

I have been taken aback by the many people I have seen on various forums who criticize the killing of Bin Laden because they say we have done nothing but "provoke" Al Qaida into killing more people. But they have been killing people steadily anyway. For example, over 50 people killed in two attacks in Pakistan alone the month before his death. They are terrorists and that is what they do. I don't think this is a logical reason to decry Bin Laden's death.