GreaseSpot Cafe

New Movie Release "The Way"

Human without the bean

Heard about this movie starring Martin Sheen and is directed by his son Emilio Estevez. I don't know if Charlie Sheen is in it or not.

From what is described it's somewhere between an adventure and a comedy. Doesn't twi own the rights to the >way?

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi923573529/

We'll see, won't we?

A violation can exist and if it's never challenged just goes on. I guess all of their faithful followers, all 50 or so, could see this advertised, become confused and suddenly assume that The Way is now a movie and start an entirely new effort going to the movie on Sunday nights, fellow shipping in theaters two nights a week and putting all of their tithes and offerings in the Snack Bar for popcorn, sodas and candy which will likely encourage further attendance as suddenly and FINALLY something of real value is returned for their cash and then ultimately The Way of Shelby County would be justified in suing to recover all that lost money not to mention the emotional damages incurred by a wired Charlie Sheen showing up at the WOAW Auditorium by mistake one night, wired and wild, screaming "WINNING!"

But, because it's a different application of the name - a movie - and not a religious organization, church or ministry, they'll probably leave it alone.

The movie does have a Catholic connection though so there are religious implications to the name as used.

They love to defend their right to those two words from the Bible and claim ownership, which follows form I guess but who knows.

It would be humorous to see if their arrogance compels them to pursue violation - they need more bad publicity like a hole in the head so they'll probably keep it down. Then again this could be the floss that breaks the femus's back.

Theatres' could introduce a new hot dog call it "the bratwurst", and pull in mass amounts of money from the movie goers pockets. They could make a killing by naming a new candy bar in honor of CharlieSheen call it the " vip starbar" that will increase revenues, then there's always the sequel THe <way Too.

• 4 weeks later...

Even worse for them: the wording of the clip from HBWB in post 1 reads: "The Way: International Trailer" [my bold] - don't know if y'all get that or it's just because I'm not in the US - maybe you get a different trailer.

Looks like it could be a good movie...but the name...is enough to put me off...

For all of TWI's bluster about trademarking "The Way", from what I understand about the law it is a very weak trademark.

For a trademark to be strong, it should be unique and abstract from the concept it is applied to. For example, Kodak, Tektronix, and Compaq. None describe the types of products the companies market and all are unique. My personal opinion is that the only way someone could infringe on "The Way International" would be to use the same exact phrase to market similar products or services.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.