GreaseSpot Cafe

health care professionals

excathedra

do you ever have problems with doctors or psychiatrists or counselors who are very condescending ?

i have run across this lately and while i respect their years of school / training, i can't seem to come to grips with holier-than-thou attitude

i'm looking elsewhere. i just wondered if you ran into this very often

it hurts when you need help

i have run into it a lot in the past.

Im lucky right now in that I have folks that I connect with...that listen....that get it...and that respond appropriately.....on whatever it may be..

It hasnt always been that way...

For me its been a long road to find good Pro's.. If your unsatisfied--my advise is to keep looking until you find the right ones for you.

I have a sister who is a doctor, my brother was studying to become a doctor before he went deaf, and I worked directly for doctors for 10 years (and had one special friend among them).

In my opinion, there is a "heart" of a doctor (dentists are doctors, too), a heart of compassion and mercy and humility, knowing they have been given a gift of knowledge and skill etc. that belongs to the world and is not a reflection upon their "greeatness" but on God's kindness to the world.

Similar truth holds to a "minister" -- Billy Graham has shown to be a true "minister." Others are not so.

I recently had an appointment with a new doctor to see if there was anything medically to do about my deafness, and although he could not help me, he was one of those kind kind of doctors, and it was just so nice to be truly "under the care" of him. He gave me a hope for living. Nice.

Some doctors go into the business to make money and never "get it."

I think the arrogance and stuff comes with a lack of central integrity before the Lord. Anyone who knows the Lord cannot be arrogant and anyone who does not know the Lord is susceptible to arrogance:

God has so graciously given so much capacity to learn ("brain power") to people, and so few have the means to make use of what they have; therefore one who has the means to learn could easily feel better than others if he does not recognize the precious privilege of having the education, the support system, etc. which allowed him to be in the position of becoming a doctor.

(Our mom would always say, "there but for the grace of God go I" when referencing someone in social pains of poverty in any area.)

I think that the new CBS tv show "A Gifted Man" (which I have watched on the computer) correctly portrays a doctor, although the spiritual "before the Lord" business is murky. Albert Schweitzer is my paradigm of a good doctor -- He loved God above all and used his knowledge and ability to help and teach others, and he put much of his life to music, and thereby demonstrated the music and poetry of the Lord as well as the medical relief he gave to so many.

Yes, Lately I have. An ophthalmologist...a md for eyes. Extreme sarcasm about changes in my vision and what he thought were structural changes...too soon to tell about that....changes could be from some other thing. I named the drug I use for asthma and he said..."that's not for asthma" it's for emphysema which you got from smoking.

I said, no, it is asthma....it is the bronchial tubes which tighten....in emphysema the lung tissues fall apart and become too big to be effective. He made some snide comment about the patient telling the doctor what's the score. I'm surprised I didn't fly off the handle at his nastiness and quietly suggested that he ask Dr. Porris, the pulmonologist upstairs who prescribed it for me what use it has.

He gave me a sample of something to use for dry eye and asked me back in a week to see how it worked. I had a 12:30 appointment. When I was still sitting in a relatively full waiting room at 3 pm I got up and left!

And on the other hand I worked for a doctor here in Reno who spent so much time with patients I made up a permanent (laminated so it wouldn't get dog-eared) "Dr is behind schedule" sign. He handled a lot of welfare cases and tried to help people get of drugs etc. He was a treasure, and his patients never minded waiting to see him.

do you ever have problems with doctors or psychiatrists or counselors who are very condescending ?

i have run across this lately and while i respect their years of school / training, i can't seem to come to grips with holier-than-thou attitude

I'm looking elsewhere. i just wondered if you ran into this very often

it hurts when you need help

About 80/20 for me exsolesia, favoring good matches. I've been with Kaiser for years and had the same Dr. for a number of years there. He was a great guy, direct, not especially warm but interested and responsive, a good balance for me. He left and the Dr. I've selected now is much the same. Dentists - mine now is the perfect match for me, in the past I've had a couple that were harsh and disinterested, which didn't work out well with any kind of extended treatment.

My Mother had a lot of medical care over the years and I saw (only a tiny bit compared with my Sister who was involved day to day) what you're talking about and the first time I encountered it with her and her Dr. I had to leave the room, actually walk out and take a deep breath and come back in, it was so thick. They'd dealt with what you're describing a lot though from what they told me. I had to learn to measure my response, my problem is I go from 0 to 90 in high risk situations and don't like messing around - medical providers live that every day though, and can become unresponsive to immediate needs.

It can be tough. If you can it's worth it to fine someone you feel comfortable with and that you feel you can talk to.

I was a medical secretary/transcriptionist from before the earth cooled until 2007, when I retired. I can tell you that they come in all sizes, shapes, temperaments and attitudes. I can remember a chief resident who strutted around like he had a hemorrhoid problem, thought he was God's gift to women and everyone else. I can remember doctors who stayed up all night with a sick patient in hospital. I can remember those who took the Hippocratic oath seriously and those who were in it for the money, and who earned no respect at all from me. Some of them were geniuses and some didn't know beans from barium.

The last doctor I worked for was one of the bravest souls I ever knew, someone whose deep faith in God gave her strength to treat dying children with love and compassion beyond belief.

If you don't connect with your physician(s) you simply need to find one you do connect with. And if someone spoke to me as that fool ophthalmologist did to Krys, I would tell him/her to take a flying leap at a rolling doughnut. That's inexcusable.

• 4 weeks later...