GreaseSpot Cafe

If LEAD was spiritual........

skyrider

• 1 year later...

What did I learn from hitchhiking?

I caught a ride over a desolate area with a guy who wanted me to drive. I did so through the night, and narrowly avoided falling asleep and then running over a deer in the middle of the highway - contact point missed by maybe 2 feet.

What I learned is that if the cheapskates that were running my training program had enough decency to not spend my tuition money on Drambouie and sexcapades that they might have had enough left over for a friggin' bus ticket.

I never got the opportunity to go LEAD. The snow was so deep in the year that I went that the event was cancelled. We were sent out Lightbearers again instead, a bit of a scratch effort, but nice all the same to be away from HQ.

LEAD could have been a wonderful opportunity to spend time in the outdoors. Alone/solo/duo, whatever. I like disappearing off into the bush/wilderness all on my own, just me, with my map in my pocket and my pack on my back and if it's not in the pack, tough, I ain't got it. Many solo trips of long weekends to entire weeks or more. Went off for 6 weeks once, with a brief excursion into a tiny township for 2 days, to resupply. Walked miles and miles over challenging terrain. It can be a great time for thinking, for peacefulness, for calm, for letting the business of the world just drop away.

I can't imagine that would be at all the case if one were to be constantly on the watch for what "instructors" might report back. Whether one showed sufficient "team work" or "ability to depend on God." Not so much an opportunity to grow, as an opportunity to become more stunted in fresh new areas of life, perhaps.

As for hitchhiking, that can be fun. I like giving and receiving lifts. Not sure I would do it now (hitch, that is) - maybe. Loads of really interesting people out there. And a few nutters. But - there are loads of interesting people on other modes of transport that are not so risky - on a bus or train, say. But that would cost money... something the Way didn't like spending, how spiritual is that? Tightwads!!!!!!

The way was so stingy,All about the money,Lead was another way to make a few bucks.

As a apprentice corps,we will treat you like real corps,yes we can really abuse you now.

A gal had a rock fall on her head,she was told it was her fault,she fad taken her helmet off.

LEAD is such a sad topic. ask ken, rochelle, howard, and the lovely gal from 10th who was raped on her hitchhiking "adventure"

i hitched for in my teen years by choice when it was "cool" (before going in way corps) and i was very lucky one time in particular

as far as LEAD goes, i'm not an outdoorsman, but i know how to kiss azz, shut my mouth, and plus i was young and up to most of the stupid physical tasks

would be nice to see how vp, harry, don, rozee and others on LEAD did ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

would be nice to see how vp, harry, don, rozee and others on LEAD did ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Now that would be interesting! Rosie ... rock climbing. Sleeping out under the stars ... VPW building a campfire (as opposed to pontificating round one that had been set by someone else)...