GreaseSpot Cafe

Come Back.......This Time Will Be Different

skyrider

First of all, what is THERE to go back to? What can twi's headquarters offer today that could possible attract any of us who've 'been around the block a dozen times' on this same snake oil salesman routine?

At least, in the 1970s there was:

1) Far less legalism and micro-management

2) Youthful zeal and young-blood-fun spontaneity

3) The wierwille mystique was still hidden then

4) Nazi corps were in their infant stage of growth

5) If you didn't like your twig, then go to another

6) Camping at roa was an adventure and reunion

7) Realities in life were still on back burner

Most all of these "benefits" were pocketed from a youth experience.....nothing more. So, after say 30 years, what could possibly be twi's attraction TO ANYONE WHO HAS CONNECTED THE DOTS? From every angle or perspective, I just don't see any benefit to re-connecting with a distant 'headquarters' who pontificates how I should direct my life and choices. What could possibly entice me to kow-tow to their directives?

Guilt.....Shame......A longing to 'belong?' What?

To embrace nostalgia?

Must be something in the 'sheep-mindset' of follow the one in front. Security and comfort in numbers for some, but only at the expense of twi's twisting of scriptures. I remember twi teaching that *neighbor* was to be viewed in terms of *your believer neighbor.* So, therefore.....yeah, be kind and loving to a fellow [cult] believer, but not to a regular neighbor next door. Every doctrinal teaching of twi was skewed to strengthen the fabric of twi's household and isolate their followers from ever integrating with neighbors, coworkers, society.

If you ascribe to twi-doctrine......AND faithfully attend their home fellowships, AND take updated classes, AND tithe/abs 12-15% of your income, AND respect their protocols, AND exhibit no dissent, AND subscribe to their magazine and ideology, AND attend major events, AND refrain from personal gains in career, education, family, AND not veer from this path till death do you part......THEN you might be briefly acknowledged in the end by twi leadership.

But then, my Bible speaks of refraining from ALL APPEARANCE OF EVIL and wierwille sure walked hand-in-hand with plenty throughout his life. Martindale, Geer and Rivenbark, too. Thus, it makes no sense to disobey God and submit respect and obedience to these low-lifes.

So, what's it going to be? A domestic sheep

Or, Bighorn sheep

:)

I am aware of one person I knew very very well who has never left, but has remained. As long as she knew where to go for meetings, she's attended more or less faithfully but not nearly with the same vigor she used to have. Many years ago this person tracked me down and asked me all about the lawsuit and a few other things and I explained to her in detail what I knew. I know more now than I did then because of these web sites.

She went back. Even after knowing what was going on. I can't explain that. In the recent past, we reconnected again and this time she invited me to go back with her telling me it was nothing like the "old days". What happened? I don't know! I am sure, though, that I don't want any more of that business. I guess she forgot that conversation we had!

She went back. Even after knowing what was going on. I can't explain that. In the recent past, we reconnected again and this time she invited me to go back with her telling me it was nothing like the "old days". What happened? I don't know! I am sure, though, that I don't want any more of that business. I guess she forgot that conversation we had!

I, too, have sat with a few individuals and had THAT conversation and months later go back to twi. What happened? Oh, most likely a number of things really. For one thing, the person had been conditioned to the twi-commune style of living and found it strange and uncomfortable to make his own way. The twig gave him a sense of belonging and psychological comfort. Besides, wierwille's sins and shortcomings were none of his concern.....nor did he care to *connect the dots* of how this deception played out.

Like water finding its own level, people seem to find their level of comfort and conformity.

In the past 25 years, some of our twi 'friends' left and found a good church.

Some 'friends' left and found a spouse, career, hobbies, and family.

Some 'friends' went to a splinter group.......and many, later, exited it as well.

Some simply left.......and we never heard from them again.

From my experience, I have observed that the strong, independent types.....those who were aggressively minded to pursue goals, education, advancement, careers, etc.....were the ones who split from twi early and did NOT go back. Whereas, the dependent and low esteem types, they were the ones who had little life outside twi and therefore were willing to attend everything. And often, these 'dependent' ones had a set of issues that, in their mind, prevented them from advancing in society.

I find comfort in knowing there will always be a big bag of familia and a bottle of figpep waiting for me, stashed somewhere deep in one of the cupboards.

And....why did twi feed us loads of familia and figpep each morning, especially corps?

Because....we'd been sitting on our arse nearly 12-15 hours a day of INDOCTRINATION.

We needed those rectal-routine-scrubbers and colon cleansers to undue the excessive sitting

sessions of twi's mog-ideology. Every mog on stage wanted his 15-minutes of adulation.

And then....they confronted us of excessive toilet paper usage. :mooner:

I, too, have sat with a few individuals and had THAT conversation and months later go back to twi. What happened? Oh, most likely a number of things really. For one thing, the person had been conditioned to the twi-commune style of living and found it strange and uncomfortable to make his own way. The twig gave him a sense of belonging and psychological comfort. Besides, wierwille's sins and shortcomings were none of his concern.....nor did he care to *connect the dots* of how this deception played out.

Like water finding its own level, people seem to find their level of comfort and conformity.

In the past 25 years, some of our twi 'friends' left and found a good church.

Some 'friends' left and found a spouse, career, hobbies, and family.

Some 'friends' went to a splinter group.......and many, later, exited it as well.

Some simply left.......and we never heard from them again.

From my experience, I have observed that the strong, independent types.....those who were aggressively minded to pursue goals, education, advancement, careers, etc.....were the ones who split from twi early and did NOT go back. Whereas, the dependent and low esteem types, they were the ones who had little life outside twi and therefore were willing to attend everything. And often, these 'dependent' ones had a set of issues that, in their mind, prevented them from advancing in society.

Yep.

First of all, what is THERE to go back to? What can twi's headquarters offer today that could possible attract any of us who've 'been around the block a dozen times' on this same snake oil salesman routine?

smile.gif

My answer to that is absolutely nothing.

~War~ Edwin Starr Edited by Human without the bean

I've been thinking a lot about her and the situation since I posted that. I have to admit, there was a lazy streak in there. It was just too easy to follow what somebody else said because it was familiar. But the last time I saw her before that time that we reconnected was about 12 years earlier. She appeared to age 25 years or more during that time. Her eyes were dull and she was too. I guess it's really true that you become what you look at.

Some people WANT others to make all their decisions for them.

Some people WANT a routine they can count on, even if change will improve their lives.

It takes some degree of courage to change your life and leap into something better

and different. Not everyone is prepared to do that.

Some people WANT to be led, WANT to be sheep, WANT to be told what to think.

twi counts on that and is willing to maintain the flock so long as they get

to fleece the flock all the time.

Some people WANT others to make all their decisions for them.

Some people WANT a routine they can count on, even if change will improve their lives.

It takes some degree of courage to change your life and leap into something better

and different. Not everyone is prepared to do that.

Some people WANT to be led, WANT to be sheep, WANT to be told what to think.

twi counts on that and is willing to maintain the flock so long as they get

to fleece the flock all the time.

Yes....far too many REFUSE to take ownership of their own lives and destiny.

More and more WANT to be in the wagon of dependency rather than walk on their own two feet.

Vast swaths of industries, programs, and products are marketed with this in mind.

Religion, too, has joined the ranks of fleecing the dependency mindset.

And yet, twi encroaches into the fibers of 24/7 monitoring its followers.

About 10 years ago, we had traveled to a city where we spent years in a corps assignment. This particular Saturday mid-morning, we had arranged to meet with a long-standing advanced class grad, an elderly gentleman age 71 (?). Rather than visit him at home, we planned to meet at a nice suburban mall near the food court. And, although we'd exited twi many years prior, our friendship was deeply rooted from years of working together in twi.

Well, he showed up alright......but was anxious and jittery. He kept looking over his shoulder to see if some corps leader might be wandering thru the mall and see him WITH US. It was a stunning spectacle......an elderly man who, years earlier, had such joy and effervescing love to be cowering in such fear! Here, a father, grandfather and successful retired businessman crumble under the weight of such indoctrination......amazingly heart-breaking.

Twi knows the buttons to push and levers to pull to inflict the dependence.

And someday, I believe, they'll have to answer for this manipulation.

This is a very interesting thread. I was thinking about this same topic recently. Years ago when I was in TWI, a woman I cared very deeply for (and who introduced me to TWI) was in my Household. She toed the line fanatically, but I knew she had reservations about TWI. Before she broke off contact with me she told me she had argued with her family. To make a long story short, I left TWI. She remained. I understood that her family and her whole life was wrapped up in TWI, so that when a conflict emerged, it was far easier to ditch me than oppose her family, friends, and TWI. About a year later, I heard that she had abruptly left the state. One of her TWI friends approached me (no kidding!) asking if I had spoken with her, which I certainly had not. This told me that she had some sort of issues with TWI, if they suspected that she had contacted me, a total unrepentant apostate.

Anyway, despite the hurt that I still felt after the whole episode, I was proud of her for having the courage to leave. Over the years, just randomly looking at social media, I found out she had moved to another part of the country. A few years later I was looking up stuff on TWI, and saw a Corporate listing for TWI in her town. An alarm bell went off in my head. No, it can't be, I thought. But sure enough, the Corporate address for TWI, and her address were the same!

Oh, well. Go figure.

As the Irish say, agus fagaimid suid mar ata se.....