GreaseSpot Cafe

Some are calling it 'helicopter-parenting'

skyrider

Isn't THIS what twi was promoting at the Rome City campus on monitoring others' kids?

Remember when every adult was to carry a wooden spoon.....and HAD THE AUTHORITY to swat any kid that needed it. The leaders had taught the doctrine and given the responsibility to every adult to monitor each and every kid on campus.

Today, with iphones and video cameras.....everything is being reported.

Click -- Stop helicopter-parenting

We're rapidly approaching the point in which it's not enough for helicopter parents to micromanage their own kids — they have to manage other parents' kids as well. But in the latter case, they do it by strafing their peers with legal threats and putting them in the big "time-out" in a local jail.

Old proverb: "It takes a village to raise a child."

Meaning: All (not just parents) should contribute, nurture, guard and guide, and be watchful for children as they grow. Social interaction is vital for a growing child to learn appropriate norms and mores. All can contribute.

Does not mean: All have the right to beat any child.

Also does not mean: All have the right to abuse a child by being "over-protective."

Looking out for abused children is one thing. But the people you refer to in your news article should be prosecuted for wasting police time.

Edited by Twinky

"It takes a village":

It can only work if there is a cultural consensus of ethics, mores, behavioral standards, limits of deviation. In my opinion, there is too much diversity in the typical American community for this to be viable in a literal sense.

I don't think even with American diversity, it could be other than the norm to think that hitting other kids is wrong, stealing from the local shop is wrong, being rude to or swearing at other people is wrong.

And I don't think even with American diversity, it could be other than the norm to think that being courteous to people is appropriate.

These are some cultural norms from 2000 years ago. They are from a culture that might be very different from "American" culture, however you define that. From a time in history that was very different. And yet, Americans, Europeans, Japanese, Asians, most people - still think these norms are worthwhile in their cultures.

The acts of the flesh are obvious: ... hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, ... and envy...

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

... Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Even very young kids can be taught these things. Simply. At a "five senses" level, if you like.

Older kids can be taught some of the other stuff that I've omitted - sexual immorality (yeah, right), drunkenness, etc.

And anyone can teach these things to kids in two ways: (1) by explicit correction of wrong behaviour; and (2) by modelling the desired behaviour.

(Of course, all of us are perfect and never make a step wrong - yeah, right - that's why we can also teach (demonstrate to) kids that when we stuff up, we apologise)

"It takes a village":

It can only work if there is a cultural consensus of ethics, mores, behavioral standards, limits of deviation. In my opinion, there is too much diversity in the typical American community for this to be viable in a literal sense.

waysider.....I would agree with that assessment.

But....this article is actually addressing the over-bearing, growing concern to involve authorities and/or impose legal and punitive action for neglect. Of course, there is room for debate on these issues.....but long gone are the days when kids would head to the neighborhood pool and be gone till supper.

It's an odd way to "help" a child who is unsupervised for five minutes to potentially inflict years of stress, hours of court appearances, and potential legal fees and fines on their parents. Children who experience discreet instances of suboptimal parenting aren't always aided by threatening their parents with stiff, potentially family-jeopardizing legal penalties. The risk of five or even 10 minutes in a temperate, locked car while mom shops is still a lot better than years in group homes and foster systems.

Twinky

I think you're reading too much into my post. I wasn't suggesting that unethical or physically harmful or immoral behavior are appropriate. I'm merely saying that in a complex society, there are multiple opinions on what constitutes proper child rearing technique. Unless there is consensus, the child could be pulled in opposing directions. Ergo, "It takes a village" may be an unrealistic concept in a complex society.

Edited by waysider

I'ts an age old dilemma. When do you cut the apron strings? When do you coax the fledglings out of the nest? For birds, it's pretty straightforward. For humans, not so much. There is no easy answer . Even within a single family, parenting styles may need to vary from child to child.

This has been happening for quite awhile. It's human nature taken to an extreme. The professional media people have been invasive for a long time. The worst of them have a perverse sense of power by rationalizing minding other peoples' business into "making a difference".

Now that we have social networking, the average person becomes his/her own kind of journalist and is capable of the same.

Old proverb: "It takes a village to raise a child."

Meaning: All (not just parents) should contribute, nurture, guard and guide, and be watchful for children as they grow. Social interaction is vital for a growing child to learn appropriate norms and mores. All can contribute.

Does not mean: All have the right to beat any child.

Also does not mean: All have the right to abuse a child by being "over-protective."

Looking out for abused children is one thing. But the people you refer to in your news article should be prosecuted for wasting police time.

Hilarious. TWI is so twisted in their doctrine raising families that they need multiple hours of therapy just to understand a common phrase in society.