GreaseSpot Cafe

Archaeology Class

Right now, I'm finishing up a class I was working on before I was hospitalized last year. I've always enjoyed archaeology since I took an undergraduate course in it forty-some-odd years ago. My professor back then was Dr. Jeeninga (HE really WAS a doctor, and earned the respect he received) who founded archaeological studies at this school. It feels funny to be answering a question and to write, "Well, Dr. Jeeninga always told us..." to the young guy teaching the class. My memory of Dr. Jeeninga and the respect that he earned are the genuine items, of which the false persona Wierwille projected was a cheesy counterfiet!

Coming back to a formal study of archaeology after all these years of observing it as an amateur, I find my view of the beginnings of the Bible to be vastly different from what they formerly were. The Bible was NOT written from scratch, neither was it written in a vaccuum. These are my best guesses at present: The Pentateuch was put into written form at Jerusalem during the reign of Solomon. There were many, MANY oral songs, stories, etc., in circulation about the origins of the community, and there were regional variations, as well. Solomon, or someone very close under him, set a task for the scribes at Solomon's scriptorium to collect, redact and correct the oral stories, and then to write them down. I think there were also a very few written documents that were used as sources. I think that's how Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers came together. Sometimes I wonder about Deuteronomy...

At the time of Solomon, Jerusalem was NOT a cornfield in rural Ohio. I think the scholars at Solomon's scriptorium were a fairly cosmopolitan lot, familiar with the thought life of points east and west, Egypt and Mesopotamia. I think the first few books of the Bible were put together in some degree of conversation with the literature of the surrounding cultures.

Does that mean I think the Bible is not God-breathed? No, it simply means I think God breathes in a much more nuanced way than we were taught in Sunday school!

I will need to write a 10 page paper, and I think I'm going to do it on viewing Genesis 1:1-11:9 as a conversational response to the Enuma Elish, the Babylonian creation myth.

Love,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, is this in response to the recent movie on Noah?

Thomas, look at the dates. Steve posted well before Raf's latest thread on Genesis.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally finished the paper a few weeks ago. My doc tried to switch my blood pressure meds from pills to a patch. I had an adverse reaction that put me down for too much time.

One of the greatest things I learned was how much later the writing was done than I had before imagined. The first few chapters of Genesis assumed the form in which we have them today after the Judean scholars had been carried off in 587 BCE. In some respects, the creation accounts in Genesis 1&2 are refutations of the Enuma Elish, which the exiled scholars would have seen performed every New Years Day during the 70 years they were in captivity at Babylon. The Enuma Elish was the Mesopotamian creation myth.

While the Judean scholars were writing about the tower of Babel, they were right there in Babylon, seeing the great ziggurat before them every day. The last night before finishing my paper, I found a copy of a Mesopotamian story called Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta. Enmerkar was the founder of a small Mesopotamian empire... a city that ruled over several smaller towns. (There was no Nimrod in the historical records. Nimrod was a generic example of the multitude of founders of city states in the Land of Shinar. Enmerkar was such a founder.) Enmerkar was building a ziggurat, and he needed to get materials from one of his vassal towns, a place called Aratta. Enmerkar sent a messenger to the boss-man of Aratta saying "Send me this stuff I need." One of the things Enmerkar did was have his messenger sing the Incantation to Nidimmud, asking the god Enki to restore linguistic unity to the land of Shinar.

What this tells us is that the rulers of city-state empires in Mesopotamia were having trouble whipping their subjects into line because of the linguistic differences within their empires. The fellow whole wrote the account in Genesis of the tower of Babel must have been poking his finger in the eyes of the gods of Mesopotamia, Nidimmud and Enki in particular, saying "It was OUR GOD who confused YOUR languages, just to give you trouble!"

Well, it's been a lot of fun!

Love,

Steve

Edited by Steve Lortz

I see no reason to believe that any of it ever happened. Maybe when we start getting into Abraham, but anything before that comes off as entirely mythical. No? Is there evidence to suggest it's anything other than myth?

Edited by Raf

Myth as opposed to history.

George Washington, first president of the United States, is history.

George Washington, confessed to chopping down his dad's cherry tree, is myth.

And apart from the language of mathematics, can quantum reality be expressed as anything other than myth?

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Myth is truth expressed through simile and metaphor rather than through propositional statements. Myth expresses poetic knowledge.

Depending on how a person defines "accuracy", poetic knowledge is more accurate than propositional knowledge because it is closer to human experience than propositional knowledge is. For instance, science can only speak about experiences that are repeatable, but reality is that nothing is ever genuinely 100% repeatable. In some very important respects, there are some aspects of ordinary human experience that science cannot address at all, or has very difficult times addressing. An example is neuro-chemisty. There are a number of illnesses categorized as mental. There are a number of drugs that do various things with the balances of neurotransmitters. Yet there is no way to "scientifically" match the drugs with the illnesses. To arrive at the proper prescriptions, the doctors have to resort to trial and error, and they have to rely on the patients' descriptions of their experiences (through simile and metaphor) to arrive at the proper drug and proper dosage. And it's DIFFERENT for EVERY patient!

You make a distinction between myth and history. That's valid, but what is our definition of "history"? Have you ever heard of The Doomed History of the Deuteronomist? I can't say that I know much about it, but the Deuteronomist had distinct views about what constituted history that probably did overlap with ours in certain ways, but differed in others.

For instance, there is no "Nimrod" in the historical record, but there must have been scores if not hundreds of Enmerkars. If the Deuteronomist rolled all those Enmerkars into one Nimrod, can we truly say then that there is no historical basis for Nimrod?

I agree with you that Abraham is probably the first human being in Genesis that we would characterize as "historical", but I think there was an historical basis for the story of the flood, though not a worldwide flood of "Biblical" proportions. Sometime after the last ice age, Lake Agassiz flowed out and raised the level of the oceans by many meters. Doggerland in northern Europe was flooded and the basin of what is now the Black Sea may have been filled by a catastrophic inrush from the raising sea level. That event may have been the basis of the flood legends in Mesopotamia and Europe. The protagonist of the Mesopotamian myth (Mesopotamia is the land of Shinar in Genesis) was a fellow named Utnapishtim in the Gilgamesh epic. The protagonist of the Greek myth was Deucalion. I think Noah was a mythic refutation of the myth of Utnapishtim. I think it would be wonderful if a bunch of fundamentalists found an ark on top of Mount Ararat, and the name plate on it said "Utnapishtim" or "Deucalion."

I agree with you very much that the fundamentalist interpretation of Genesis is very, very wrong, but I think there are other ways to interpret Genesis that can be very, very right.

I like you, Raf, and value your input! You raise questions we all need to consider deeply. The fact that we may come to different answers to those questions doesn't detract from their value!

Love,

Steve

P.S. - If you can describe quantum reality in terms other than those of mathematics or myth, I'd like to read what you come up with!!! :-)

P.P.S. - I have some notes in my possession that I made some 40 or so years ago, when I was actively involved in the US Navy Nuclear Power Program, a good five or six years before I ever even heard of TWI, regarding the relation between myth and math!

Edited by Steve Lortz

I just don't think my question was so ethereal that it required the word "quantum" to answer. Everyone knew what I meant, the answer was obvious, and everything else is smoke and mirrors. Sorry, but it's frustrating.

Understanding that Genesis is not history but mythology changes things for a lot of Christians, who now have to ask, "well, in what sense is it true?" THEN you can get into all of the business we're talking about here.

The notion that the Biblical flood was inspired by something that actually took place... I mean, come on, no duh! 95 percent of fiction fits that category. That doesn't mean it deserves the label "based on a true story." The question being raised (mostly on another thread) is whether the flood described in Genesis actually happened, not whether some other flood happened that inspired the writer of Genesis to plagiarize write a fictional account featuring a 600-year-old ship builder and his childbearing age daughters-in-law.

I'm going to stop writing before I get rude and/or off-topic.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your achaeology class, Steve.

Edited by Raf