GreaseSpot Cafe

Eyewitnesses: 2000 - Your Stories

chockfull

We are starting to run up against the end of the last story bucket, and things are overlapping into the year 2000.  I thought I'd jump in and start the bucket, if that's OK with WordWolf.

Year 2000:

• Y2K
  • Martindale Ousted
  • Rivenbark Installed

Thanks everybody for all the stories.  Woven together like a tapestry, they form a pretty compelling picture about what the Way is actually like, as opposed to what they advertise they are like.  I think this helps in two respects:  1) individual recovery from past 2) warning for the future.

• Upvote 1

One reason I also have for wanting to continue the timelines to extend them to the present is that the Way is continually hiding their past, whitewashing it, and saying they are a different ministry now.

Here's where I can quote half of a proverb verse.  It doesn't even have to contain any spiritual truth, just a common sense rhetorical question.

"Can a zebra change his stripes?"

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, chockfull said:

One reason I also have for wanting to continue the timelines to extend them to the present is that the Way is continually hiding their past, whitewashing it, and saying they are a different ministry now.

Here's where I can quote half of a proverb verse.  It doesn't even have to contain any spiritual truth, just a common sense rhetorical question.

"Can a zebra change his stripes?"

yeah whitewashing it alright...paint the zebra white...that covers the stripes....and voila you have a white horse!

Edited by T-Bone
trying to beat the submit clock

• 3 weeks later...

LCM was still around in 2000 if I remember right.

At that time I was trying again to explore thinking outside TWI.  Many parents were concerned about "keeping their children in fellowship".  I believe that to be an extension of LCM's paranoia about his own children.  At one point, my family under the direction of multiple Limb leaders from multiple areas (different states) wrote long lists of rules I was to follow, including how to drive a car, brushing your teeth, a Way materials study schedule and checking in Branch Coordinators on a regular basis like I was on Parole.  It really helped me to give up on school and end up at HQ.  

The internet was popular back then too.

Interfering beggars, Bolshevik.  I've heard the expression, "It takes a village to raise a child," but this appears to be, "It takes a Branch to raise a child."  Parents not required. :(