GreaseSpot Cafe

The Absent Christ?

OldSkool

4 hours ago, Mike said:

It is not just Acts 1.  There is far more.

Look at all the references here from John 14:

1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

Actually I already answered these questions about 2/3rds the back in the thread...probably on page 19 or so...use the search feature...I gotta go wash some windows...

old-very-dirty-window-industry-as-backgr

What Mike has done, and it's typical Mike, instead of dealing with the multitude of points that have already proven him wrong with his wierwillian ever shifting positions is duck-dodge-resurface later. It's his attempt to bury points he can't answer, then resurface later with lengthy word salad posts all so he can control and confuse content. 

Trollshonta malakas many.

Mark 11:22- 24

Have faith in God, Jesus answered. 

Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain,
‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’
and does not doubt in their heart
but believes
that what they say will happen,
it will be done for them.

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer,
believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mark 11:22- 24

Have faith in God, Jesus answered. 

Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain,
‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’
and does not doubt in their heart
but believes
that what they say will happen,
it will be done for them.

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer,
believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Is this figurative or literal?

6 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

So you take the mention of the lob to get off topic...ok then...

https://eyesupandopen.org/

I read the first paragraph and noticed the conspicuous absence of any mention that the law only really works for promises of God. 

This is a crucial bit of knowledge. Does the author bring it up later in the article?

The second epistle of Peter warns that people who get sloppy with the Epistles of Paul bring a lot of destruction upon themselves.   The same holds with the law of believing.  When the important details, like God's power and God's promises, are left out then people have lots of problems with the law of believing.

Another detail often left out is the "no doubt in your heart" part.

What about that guy who said he believed he'd be dead this time next year?

"Why, If I was a betting man..."

It seems to work a lot easier for bad outcomes than good ones. No S.I.T., renewing the mind, word studies, trudging to endless twig functions or any such things required. "Works for saint and sinner alike." "I saw unbelievers living a more abundant life than the believers."...Oh, right, something, something about rain falling.

Edited by waysider
phrasing

Just now, waysider said:

What about that guy who said he believed he'd be dead this time next year?|

"Why, If I was a betting man..."

It seems to work a lot easier for bad outcomes than good ones. No S.I.T., renewing the mind, word studies, trudging to endless twig functions or any such things required. "Works for believers and unbelievers alike." "I saw unbelievers living a more abundant life than the believers."...Oh, right, something, something about rain falling.

Again it is the "no doubt" part that you are leaving out.  You are stuck in the counterfeit "Law of Mental Assent."  Believing in the heart with no doubt is different from having a positive attitude and positive thoughts.

I think genuine believing with action and with no doubt is a fairly rare thing.

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

read the first paragraph and noticed the conspicuous absence of any mention that the law only really works for promises of God. 

And that's your problem...as soon as it doesn't fit your world view you shut down...which is your problem...not mine. 

You realize you just contradicted yourself, right?

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

There is more to this law, such as asking accurately, according to God's will.

Was it God's will for the guy to be dead in a year or for the unbelievers to live a more abundant life than the believers?

11 minutes ago, waysider said:

You realize you just contradicted yourself, right?

Was it God's will for the guy to be dead in a year or for the unbelievers to live a more abundant life than the believers?

Careful....if u keep asking rational questions Mikes gonna have to go clean some windows...or smash atoms...or troll Facebook groups ..or something...

9 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Careful....if u keep asking rational questions Mikes gonna have to go clean some windows...or smash atoms...or troll Facebook groups ..or something...

I make many priority decisions each day. MUCH of what I want to do does not get done, but I just do my best.

You folks seem to think that my highest priority is getting your approval for my words, after I must prove them to you.   I think you miss being a cult leader and want to tell me what my priorities are.  Give it up.  I will wash windows and pay attention to the topics that I think are most important and deserving of my time. Quit wining that I am not submitting to your Inquisitions.  Grow up and pay attention to the issues.

Edited by Mike

2 minutes ago, So_crates said:

And what about the dude in India? You know the one that Saint Vic claimed he healed? The one that told Saint Vic "I don't believe in your Jesus."

Yes, God certainly is Good, isn't He!!! 

I wonder what that man thought of our Jesus after he was healed. 

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

I make many priority decisions each day. MUCH of what I want to do does not get done, but I just do my best.

You folks seem to think that my highest priority is getting your approval for my words, after I must prove them to you.   I think you miss being a cult leader and want to tell me what my priorities are.  Give it up.  I will wash windows and pay attention to the topics that I think are most important and deserving of my time. Quit wining that I am not submitting to your Inquisitions.  Grow up and pay attention to the issues.

Then carry on an honest discussion. At this point you can't deal with the material beyond saying that wierwille said it was so. 

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I doubt he even existed.

Who else did wierwille heal? Name one person. 

Edited by OldSkool

33 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

And that's your problem...as soon as it doesn't fit your world view you shut down...which is your problem...not mine. 

As soon as I spot the lack of emphasis on the promises of God being central to the law of believing, I know something is wrong. 

I just read a little more and noticed a few things. A doubling down on the idea that the law of believing is supposed to work for any desired results, bereft of any of God's promises or power.

I also noticed that the story is familiar, and I think the author is a poster here. If that is you, then I feel for your struggles. We all have them. 

There are things in my life I have NEVER had my believing together on.  I blame me, not the words I read from Jesus on believing, not the words in PFAL.  

Some of the promises of God I have no trouble believing with all my heart; for some all I can do is mentally assent, and that's only on a good day. But I don't give up, and am always thankful for when I have seen the law of believing work well in my life.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

But he didn't believe in Jesus, and therefore the promises of God, a direct contradiction to your claim.

11 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Then carry on an honest discussion. At this point you can't deal with the material beyond saying that wierwille said it was so. 

I always try my best to be honest in these discussions.
I do not try at all to conform to the initial postulates and attitudes that are adopted here as the basis for debate.  I have a different set of ground rules for how I approach an apparent error in the PFAL collaterals.  I simply refuse to start the debate at the point and with the rules and assumptions that you prefer.

You start every debate here with a certain bias. I have a very opposite bias. We come up with differing results.  Then we bet our lives on what we come up with.