GreaseSpot Cafe

The Absent Christ?

OldSkool

3 hours ago, waysider said:

Method acting. That's what's being promoted as "Christ's eyes behind your eyes" type thinking. Where in the scriptures is it referenced that people should be method actors?

2 Cor 5:20 Contemporary English Version
We were sent to speak for Christ, and God is begging you to listen to our message. We speak for Christ and sincerely ask you to make peace with God.

Here is a larger section from that same version:

18 God has done it all! He sent Christ to make peace between himself and us, and he has given us the work of making peace between himself and others.

19 What we mean is that God was in Christ, offering peace and forgiveness to the people of this world. And he has given us the work of sharing his message about peace. 20 We were sent to speak for Christ, and God is begging you to listen to our message. We speak for Christ and sincerely ask you to make peace with God. 21

.*/*/*/*/*

The reason God made Jesus absent on the day of the Ascension was so that this responsibility of taking the stage FOR CHRIST while he is absent.

In theater world we would be called Christ's understudies.

un·der·stud·y
/ˈəndərˌstədē/

noun
plural noun: understudies
  1. (in the theater) a person who learns another's role in order to be able to act as a replacement at short notice.
    "I was understudy for the lead role in the opera"

3 hours ago, OldSkool said:

...we are witnesses and point the way to the risesn saviour. But we become Christ so we can leverage power to get stuff. 

WRONG!   
We become Christ-like.
We are supposed to PLAY Christ on the stage of life.

Where did you get that "We become Christ..."  garbage?
I hope you washed your hands.

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

If you hold a perfect image and it doesn't work when tested in the real world...

...then you try again.  Testing our power in the real world means helping people with their real problems.  If we fail, we simply try again until we get it right. 

The main ingredient to all this is love, so if we focus, not on ourselves, but on whom we minister, then God will be there to teach us, just like He taught young Jesus.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 Timothy 3%3A16-17&version=ESV

Instead of perfect, complete is translated here.

https://apologeticessay.wordpress.com/2022/05/02/does-2-timothy-316-17-teaches-sola-scriptura/

Verse 16 is talking about The Old Testament.

Interesting also the article points out that inspiration includes prophecy, music and art.

Ever seen the artwork from The Way?   Bland.  The music?   zzzzzzzz

The Word taking the place of the Absent Christ is kinda like saying "Art takes the place of the Absent Christ"

"Literature takes the place of the Absent Christ"

From the comments:

The question isn’t whether all the books of our Bible are “God-breathed” or God’s infallible word but whether Protestant pastors and theologians have the divine authority to interpret the Scriptures in accordance with their fallible private judgments in support of their preconceived notions. Obviously, they don’t. The power to bind and loose was conferred on Peter and the Apostles who were united with him and through them was transferred to their valid successors in the divine office of the episcopacy. The New Testament provides the internal evidence for this theological fact while the unanimous writings of the Patristic Fathers provide the historical external evidence as early as the 1st century.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

Being inspired by an image may be different.   

I'm reasonably certain in TWI results were expected to be instantaneous.  Which is insane.

There were lots of errors like this TWI and those kinds of disciplinarian  TVTs grew worse and worse in TWI-2.  I am so glad I got out by 1988.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

...then you try again.  Testing our power in the real world means helping people with their real problems.  If we fail, we simply try again until we get it right. 

The main ingredient to all this is love, so if we focus, not on ourselves, but on whom we minister, then God will be there to teach us, just like He taught young Jesus.

Before jumping out to help others one should have their own house in order.  I was referring to the perfect internal image one has of oneself as if Jesus.   That is perfectionism.  That erodes itself.  That does not help others.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

There were lots of errors like this TWI and those kinds of disciplinarian  TVTs grew worse and worse in TWI-2.  I am so glad I got out by 1988.

TVTs were bred by bad ideas people accepted.  

Stop pretending there was corruption.  Things self destruct by design.

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

TVTs. Yeah, let's blame it all on verbal communications. If verbal communications weren't an integral part of The Way, why did we even need twig meetings? Just hand everybody a set of collaterals and send them on their way.

SOLA COLLATERALA!

*thumps chest*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

TVTs. Yeah, let's blame it all on verbal communications. If verbal communications weren't an integral part of The Way, why did we even need twig meetings? Just hand everybody a set of collaterals and send them on their way.

It was only the corrupted verbal traditions that were to blame. 

Because they were verbal, it was difficult to nail errors as they arose.

Verbal traditions are good if they confom to the written Word.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

The United States of America has a written document called the Constitution.  

There are whole bodies of people dedicated to deciding its interpretation.  This has been going on with some continuity for 200 years.  Plenty to discuss.

Scripture is thousands of years old.  How is its proper interpretation decided?  Do you see how conforming and restricting and suffocating this is?

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

WRONG!   
We become Christ-like.

Where did you get that "We become Christ..."  garbage?
I hope you washed your hands.

Logical progression based on your choice of words. If it's Christ behind my Nikes and sport coat and I if I replace jesus Christ and if I am acting as though I am Christ then I am becoming a fake Jesus. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ahhh..just like the pharisees and the oral traditions of men that Jesus Christ confronted on the gospels. Thanks for confirming that 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

then you try again.  Testing our power in the real world means helping people with their real problems.  If we fail, we simply try again until we get it right. 

Try what? Repeat the same tactics, methods and image building that resulted in failure the first time? Try again with more....grrrrrr!....  more ..... mmmmmph!....?

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Is that what love is? Focusing on the image of another constructed by thought? 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

That's not what I was "taught."

I was "taught" to spit on on cars with WWJD bumper stickers. I was taught to ridicule people wearing WWJD t-shirts.

I was taught this by someone who was throughly entrenched in and an expert of the collaterals.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

3 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

That's not what I was "taught."

I was "taught" to spit on on cars with WWJD bumper stickers. I was taught to ridicule people wearing WWJD t-shirts.

I was taught this by someone who was throughly entrenched in and an expert of the collaterals.

You're describing the narcissist's need to devalue and discard others.

Mike described how narcissists/borderlines see the world as a play, and you are simply there to fill a predetermined role.

(That's from a video by Vaknin)

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Scripture is thousands of years old.  How is its proper interpretation decided?  Do you see how conforming and restricting and suffocating this is?

NOT b y committees, that is for sure!

The ultimate details regarding OUR POWER and how to bless with it are impossible to pull out of the surviving manuscripts by 5-senses methods only.  Matching wits with the obfuscating powers of the adversary is foolish and ignorant.  The only way to get God's interpretation is via a direct intervention by The Author.  This is why VPW prayed the day before the 1942 Promise for something FROM GOD that he "would never have to back up on."  Like Solomon, he got more than he was asking for.  God is generous.  What is the most important thing God can do for you TODAY?

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

I do not get this last sentence at all. Can you explain who suffocates and how here? 

When it comes to coming up with an interpretation of a verse, I would WANT my attempt to be as conforming as possible, and severely restricted to what God wants that interpretation to be.

If God wants something to have more than one interpretation, I would expect Him to tell us. 

However, multiple APPLICATIONS of a single interpretation may exist at times.

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Logical progression based on your choice of words. If it's Christ behind my Nikes and sport coat and I if I replace jesus Christ and if I am acting as though I am Christ then I am becoming a fake Jesus. 

A fake Jesus would be lacking in love.
An ambassador for Christ would be exhibiting the same love Jesus loved with.

30 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Try what? Repeat the same tactics, methods and image building that resulted in failure the first time? Try again with more....grrrrrr!....  more ..... mmmmmph!....?

Is that what love is? Focusing on the image of another constructed by thought? 

Love is serving.

3 hours ago, waysider said:

An ambassador is someone who functions as a representative, not as a duplicate.

We can only TRY to duplicate what Jesus did. Sometimes God will boost the results of our efforts and we can come closer.

Evidently, God thinks it's good enough in what we can accomplish while trying our best to serve in love like Jesus did.  God simply wants the job to get done, so if we do our best, He can do the rest.

An ambassador DOES have duplicate authority over the devils and forces of corruption.