GreaseSpot Cafe

Aging: not always convenient, but better than the alternative

johniam

Puberty and menopause. Those are the only 2 I can think of. Periods of time when one has to make an adjustment that have names. What about the ones that don't have names??? Throughout life not much time goes by before we have to make adjustments: either a physical medical adjustment or mental processing adjustment. We are all constantly doing this. I see aging as yet another period of adjustment. Perhaps the frequency of making those adjustments is accelerated in aging, but it's awkward when things like simple balance and hand eye coordination that we've taken for granted for decades are starting to wear down. Ultimately, we're all going to die, but I want to stay as proactive as possible until that happens.

There are some benefits to aging. I went to my 50th year high school reunion few months back. There were 450 in our class, about 10% of which are dead, and over 100 came to the reunion. The overall tone of the event was positive and upbeat. When you get to this age, you're probably as comfortable in your own skin as you're ever going to get. That can have a positive impact on such an event. 

People are different. Not everybody ages the same. I have never had to wear glasses. When I was young my mom fed me rabbit's food, and I actually liked it. Raw carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, even radishes and scallions were in her rotation. I need reading glasses to read some stuff, but I won't get driver tested again until 2027. I do, however have knee problems. No surgery yet, but I've weighed 200 plus for 30 years. That must put pressure on knees. When I walk downstairs I can at times do so one step at a time without holding a handrail. Other times I not only hold the rail, I also put both feet on each step all the way down. Err on the side of caution.

It occurred to me that many of us are getting up there. I thought perhaps other might want to share things that have helped them age more gracefully.

• Upvote 1

Exercise. Modification of dietary intake.

Anyway, you cogently make the point about aging. I very much relate to what you said and how you said it.

I have recently had to get some physical therapy for aging related changes to my leg and back muscles.

My prostate has been an irritant for most of the last 25+ years. A nurse practitioner recently told me she considers prostate issues to be essentially male menopause.

I went to my local community college fitness and wellness center to work out earlier today, got home about an hour ago.

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

My prostate has been an irritant for most of the last 25+ years. A nurse practitioner recently told me she considers prostate issues to be essentially male menopause.

My doc recommended Saw Palmetto. I get it over the counter at CVS or at Sam's. Been taking it for a couple of years - - and it really helps! doc said the only alternative he knows of currently is the "Roto-Rooter" surgery. yikes! taking Saw Palmetto is fine by me. 

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Exercise. Modification of dietary intake.

Yes, Yes, Yes. I joined Planet Fitness for about $10 a month and it is the the best investment made so far in my aging process. They have a cage that has bars going everyway you can imagine, and instructions and pictures on how to use them to do stretching exercises. The stretching exercises begin at your neck and covers all the way down to your feet. Then there are treadmills, bicycles, free weights, and machined weights to build your cardiovascular system. 
When I slack off and miss a few weeks my body starts barking because it is becoming stiff again. 
In addition, I have lost 75 pounds and struggle to keep it off, but keeping the goal of maintaining as much mobility as possible, is keeping me honest and on track.

Obviously, things happen within our bodies and minds that we have absolutely no control over. We can only hope the medical professionals have a medication, surgery, prostheses, or mental health help that will keep us going. We should take advantage of every available procedure so we can lead a happy and productive life.

I have a relative who has slowed down physically, but not adjusted their calorie intake. Only one thing can happen and that is to put on additional weight.

Another has had a heart attack are not changed any eating or dieting to lose weight.  When the doc suggested these changes, their response was, “That will happen when world peace comes about.” With such an attitude what can anyone do to help them? They refuse to help themselves so you can only wait until the worst happens. So far the medications have kept them alive, but their mobility is limited. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

My doc recommended Saw Palmetto. I get it over the counter at CVS or at Sam's. Been taking it for a couple of years - - and it really helps! doc said the only alternative he knows of currently is the "Roto-Rooter" surgery. yikes! taking Saw Palmetto is fine by me. 

I started taking saw palmetto in my early 40s. Helps for a time. There's a medication, "tamsulosin" with a brand name of Flomax. That's very helpful too. The roto-rooter treatment comes in when meds no longer work.

10 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I started taking saw palmetto in my early 40s. Helps for a time. There's a medication, "tamsulosin" with a brand name of Flomax. That's very helpful too. The roto-rooter treatment comes in when meds no longer work.

oh, great I've got something to look forward to - :rolleyes:

Glad to say I'm pretty fit and healthy.  No serious problems, though knuckle joints are a bit bulgy and swollen but don't restrict any activities.  Eyesight poor since a child, corrected with contact lenses to give perfect vision, but my optician tells me I have beginning cataracts - but I think these have been there for decades without any significant change.   I believe I have great genes - maternal family all lived into mid-90s+, not so sure about paternal side.  I confidently expect to live into my 90s unless I have a serious accident beforehand.

I keep pretty active at work (s/emp gardening, lots of moving about, can get quite physical) and like going for long walks in any leisure time I have. 

My mum (exactly 25 years older than me) used to say, "Look into the future.  You've got all this coming!" but thankfully I don't have any of the problems she's had, either when she was the age I am now, or previously.  And I show no signs of having any of the problems she has currently.

I thank God every day for my good health (which I don't take for granted).  I know that some people I was at school with have already had nasty health events (like strokes and heart attacks) or have even died.

Again in the words of my mum: "Old age is not for wimps!"

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, johniam said:

Does the roto rooter treatment refer to a colonoscopy? If so, had my first one couple years back. The procedure was OK; the prep??? Reminded me of what some corps  said about the colon cleanse.

No, it doesn't... even though colonoscopy prep can feel like roto rooter treatment.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/prostate-problems

Benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH, is very common in older men. It means your prostate is enlarged but not cancerous. Treatments for BPH include:

• Watchful waiting, also called active surveillance. If your symptoms are not too bad, your doctor may tell you to wait to see if they get worse before starting treatment. Your doctor will tell you how often to return for check-ups.
  • Medications. Medicines can help shrink the prostate or relax muscles near your prostate to ease symptoms.
  • Surgery. If nothing else has worked, your doctor may suggest surgery to help urine flow.
  • Other treatments. Sometimes radio waves, microwaves, or lasers are used to treat urinary problems caused by BPH. These methods use different kinds of heat to reduce extra prostate tissue.

5 hours ago, Twinky said:

my optician tells me I have beginning cataracts

Both of my parents had cataract surgery in their early 50s. So did I (in MY early 50s, not theirs ;) )

At the time of my cataract surgery, the VA implanted permanent lenses under my corneas. That procedure meant I ONLY needed reading glasses but not distance correction lenses for the following 12 years or so. Now I get updated prescriptions every year.