GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

On 12/15/2023 at 11:40 AM, Raf said:

He didn't deny the musicians part, though.

So it is either a bunch of unknown musicians assuming classic names, or a bunch of known musicians hiding their classic names behind other classic names.

Who hid their names? 

And why can't I give you their assumed last names?

On 12/15/2023 at 6:45 PM, Human without the bean said:

Don't forget about me Raf, I'm so petty too.  From "Wildflowers" to "The Last DJ".  :offtopic:

19 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Somehow, I get the feeling that Human's skipped over this round completely....

Absolutely.  I only thought Raf was being smug so I just threw in the comment.

4 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Unless they're all members of Tom Petty's band, I still got nothing.

George

Now I'm kinda in this with nothing, but I do know The TP & TH's band very well and none of those names would be a member.

Edited by Human without the bean
I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't correct my grammar.

On 12/13/2023 at 8:56 PM, WordWolf said:

Ok, next question.

Here's a list of first names/nicknames.  What do they have in common? (That is, why do I find them noteworthy, what's this a list OF?)

Otis,  Lefty, Charlie Truscott Jr, Lucky, Nelson, Spike, Clayton, Muddy and Boo.

So, Human, are you saying that THIS list of names doesn't ring any kind of bell to you?  No, they are not "the Heartbreakers."       

8 minutes ago, Raf said:

And then there's his OTHER band...

The Traveling Willburys

Got too bored waiting for someone to catch up?   Yes, we're talking "the Traveling Wilburys."

Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynn, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty.

For "Volume 1", they made up a family- the Wilburys- and dad- Charlie T. Wilbury Sr- and made up names of his kids for the artists on the album.

Otis Wilbury was Jeff Lynne (of ELO)

Lefty Wilbury was Roy Orbison

Charlie T Wilbury Jr was Tom Petty

Lucky Wilbury was Bob Dylan

Nelson Wilbury was George Harrison.

For their next album- "Volume 3"- Roy Orbison was already dead, so it was just 4 brothers.

Clayton Wilbury was Jeff Lynne.

Muddy Wilbury was Tom Petty.

Boo Wilbury was Bob Dylan.

Spike Wilbury was George Harrison.

43 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

So, Human, are you saying that THIS list of names doesn't ring any kind of bell to you?  No, they are not "the Heartbreakers."

Yes, more or less.  I never really got into their pseudonyms.   I had no idea about the band members using others names for "Vol 3" either. 

In 1985, a rising star actress was in a commercial where she ended a sentence with a word that had never been used on television before ... at least, not to refer to the thing she was talking about. The word had certainly been used before to mean other things. What's the word? I'll add the actress in a later clue, but the fact that it was an actress at all is in itself a clue. 

Hints:

I've already actually given away the answer with my Most Subtle Hint Ever (TM). So subtle, Mike would not be able to find it in a lost Wierwille teaching. But the answer appears five times in this post, if you catch my meaning.

The fact that it's an actress and not an actor is far more relevant than the precise clue that it's Courtney Cox. In fact, that should be enough [without her name] to narrow it down to two or three words. 

Edited by Raf

4 hours ago, Raf said:

Hints:

I've already actually given away the answer with my Most Subtle Hint Ever (TM). So subtle, Mike would not be able to find it in a lost Wierwille teaching. But the answer appears five times in this post, if you catch my meaning.

The fact that it's an actress and not an actor is far more relevant than the precise clue that it's Courtney Cox. In fact, that should be enough [without her name] to narrow it down to two or three words. 

I think I've got it.

None of the words of the post have appeared 5 times, unless it's "THE" or something.  "THE" may matter to GSC regulars, but won't change meanings for anyone else.

It was a COMMERCIAL, which means it was almost certainly to sell a product.  (Unless it's a PSA or a commercial for a program.)   Funny thing about commercials, they have to fit the sensibilities of the people who watch television- or, more to the point, the people who monitor what airs.  Sometimes something isn't done on TV, sometimes an analogy is used, sometimes a product is advertised and they can't say what it does.  One commercial for maxi-pads or something used blue water to illustrate how effective their product was, without explaining why you'd want that much blue water caught. 

More often, it's the phrasing that's crafted to avoid saying things.  "What's 'feminine protection', anyway?  A chartreuse flame-thrower?"    Commercials get squeamish about any product that has anything to do with private parts, especially women's private parts.

So, I'm thinking the word that was first actually mentioned in the 80s was "PERIOD."  There had been periods in history, in sports matches, in punctuation, but none in women's health.  At least, that's my guess.    Raf's normal use of punctuation meant that multiple periods appeared in his post.

On 12/20/2023 at 12:31 PM, Raf said:

In 1985, a rising star actress was in a commercial where she ended a sentence with a word that had never been used on television before ... at least, not to refer to the thing she was talking about. The word had certainly been used before to mean other things. What's the word? I'll add the actress in a later clue, but the fact that it was an actress at all is in itself a clue. 

Most Subtle Clue Ever.

You're up.

Ok, here's something frivolous.

A US TV commercial had a (former?)  supermodel appear in an ad for Budweiser. This ad aired around St Patrick's Day, and was set on St Patrick's Day.   She claimed that Budweiser was the OFFICIAL beer of IRELAND.  Considering Budweiser's a US brand, and Ireland has their own brands, how was this claim explained in the ad?