GreaseSpot Cafe

Wierwille's doctorate

OldSkool

This has been discussed here ad nauseum...I get it...but I wanted to add a couple points on Pikes Peak Seminary, US government, and accreditation in the state of Colorado. For those new to the topic victor paul wierwille insisted people call him Dr. Wierwille because he had a fake doctorate from a degree mill and that organization was unaccredited. By all reliable accounts wierwille earned a masters degree, which is hard enough...so why lie about the doctorate? Anywho...heres the facts...

First let's get Chockfull's post from 2011 out in the open:

Then there is John Jeudes work on Pikes Peak Seminary:

http://www.empirenet.com/~messiah7/quz_ipikepk.htm

Theres the governments opinion on Pike Peak Seminary:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_Bible_Seminary

"The seminary was regarded as a diploma mill by the United States Office of Education"

Pikes Peak was also known as Burton College and Seminary"

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/1960/may-9/editorials-scandal-of-bogus-degrees.html

Then there is understanding the state of Colorado. Personally, I dont know if this applied to Pikes Peak back in the time it was active, because perhaps state law changed. But this especially applies to anyone who received a degree from the way international from Camp Gunnison -- sorry your degree is not worth the paper it's printed on and not recognized as an accredited degree...and that applies to me as well..

https://cdhe.colorado.gov/private-accredited

Religious Authorization- A bona fide religious postsecondary educational institution, offering only programs which are religious in nature, which is exempt from property taxation under the laws of this state and whose degrees or diplomas have no state recognition;

So, either Pikes Peak/Burton College and Seminary was totally unaccredited back then...or perhaps these laws were in effect back then and Pikes Peak Seminary falls under Religious Authorization accredidation which is to say --- The state of colorado recognizes your religious group as meeting the criteria to grant a degree under Colorado law but that degree has no state recognition...which makes it null in every other state..since it's worthless in Colorado reciprocity is out the window... and null in the eyes of US Department of Education.

Wierwille wasnt a doctor and his mail in doctorate wasnt worth the paper it was printed on. A Dr he wasnt.

Edited by OldSkool

For me he did earn that degree, based on the POSITIVE effects of PFAL on my life and on the lives of many others. 

I am to remind everyone of Research Geek's post here on how he investigated this issue by physically traveling to Pikes Peak and checking out the record. He's one of the very few GreaseSpotters that seem to have done this kind of thing, not shoot from the hip, but investigate objectively. Others here will dig ONLY for dirt, but miss the gold.

This was originally posted by Research Geek October 04, 2002:

I'm not trying to defend vpw, but I do think that the facts need to be made straight. vpw did get a masters at Princeton which is not too shabby and he did go to Pikes Peak Seminary.

I saw the home moves of his graduation. There were a number of people in his class. My wife and I searched for the place and found it when we visited Colorado. We drove up to it on a hill and were looking at the building when the owner of the house came out. We said hi and explained what we were doing and he invited us in and showed us around.

The owner said that indeed the Seminary operated out of that building and even showed us a picture of the place years ago taken from across the valley. It was in a frame and mounted on the wall. The owner said that it was a condition of the house purchase agreement that the picture remain with the building. We took photos and showed them to vpw. He remembered the picture on the wall.

The main problem was that Pikes Peak Seminary utilized an "experimental" kind of education method. Because of that, its coursework was not accepted by many other institutions.

vpw did put in the time and did get a doctors degree.

But few institutions recognized it. Later the seminary fell into disrepute and its degree granting authority was abused and became a place where you could write in and get a degree, similar to what you can now do on the Internet. That fact made his degree even more difficult to legitimize.

I think that he kept the title obstinately, in spite of the criticism because he had done the work and put in the time. Unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong institution for the effort.

So it was not a lie. He believed that he had earned the title. Perhaps his decision to go was unwise. I think that if I was going to put in the effort, I would have chosen an institution with better credentials.

*/*/*/*/*/*

I might distance myself from a few of the opinions expressed at the end of the above post, but the bulk of it is quite noteworthy. I urge the objectors to dig deeper than just listening to what's in the wind, and not base crucial life decisions on the reports of people who didn't bother to get informed.

Dr not only earned his doctorate, but he performed far beyond what any PhD has ever done for anyone. He brought us God's light like it hasn't been seen in 2000 years. In my book that earns him credit far beyond a doctorate.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

For me he did earn that degree, based on the POSITIVE effects of PFAL on my life and on the lives of many others. 

I am to remind everyone of Research Geek's post here on how he investigated this issue by physically traveling to Pikes Peak and checking out the record. He's one of the very few GreaseSpotters that seem to have done this kind of thing, not shoot from the hip, but investigate objectively. Others here will dig ONLY for dirt, but miss the gold.

I'm not trying to defend vpw, but I do think that the facts need to be made straight. vpw did get a masters at Princeton which is not too shabby and he did go to Pikes Peak Seminary.

I saw the home moves of his graduation. There were a number of people in his class. My wife and I searched for the place and found it when we visited Colorado. We drove up to it on a hill and were looking at the building when the owner of the house came out. We said hi and explained what we were doing and he invited us in and showed us around.

The owner said that indeed the Seminary operated out of that building and even showed us a picture of the place years ago taken from across the valley. It was in a frame and mounted on the wall. The owner said that it was a condition of the house purchase agreement that the picture remain with the building. We took photos and showed them to vpw. He remembered the picture on the wall.

The main problem was that Pikes Peak Seminary utilized an "experimental" kind of education method. Because of that, its coursework was not accepted by many other institutions.

But few institutions recognized it. Later the seminary fell into disrepute and its degree granting authority was abused and became a place where you could write in and get a degree, similar to what you can now do on the Internet. That fact made his degree even more difficult to legitimize.

I think that he kept the title obstinately, in spite of the criticism because he had done the work and put in the time. Unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong institution for the effort.

So it was not a lie. He believed that he had earned the title. Perhaps his decision to go was unwise. I think that if I was going to put in the effort, I would have chosen an institution with better credentials.

*/*/*/*/*/*

I might distance myself from a few of the opinions expressed at the end of the above post, but the bulk of it is quite noteworthy. I urge the objectors to dig deeper than just listening to what's in the wind, and not base crucial life decisions on the reports of people who didn't bother to get informed.

Dr not only earned his doctorate, but he performed far beyond what any PhD has ever done for anyone. He brought us God's light like it hasn't been seen in 2000 years. In my book that earns him credit far beyond a doctorate.

Sorry they don’t award doctorate degrees based on the perceived feelings about the positive effects of a persons life.

Just to repeat one more time even after OS linked my thread from over a decade ago I have been to that location and as I said there’s the Zillow link.

Also fact checking Research Geek - he got the masters degree college wrong.  The “experimental” coursework was none except what I already described as correspondence work.  It wasn’t something different that was unique and not accepted.  It was exactly that - written papers and grading them by the Drs in that house.  No classes.  VPW only went there once - not weekly or even monthly to attend classes.  There was no internet.  He wrote a few papers including a thesis and gave a verbal presentation on it like his wife who was there recorded in her book.

It seems that hate idol is keeping you from reading the facts I’m presenting.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dr not only earned his doctorate, but he performed far beyond what any PhD has ever done for anyone. He brought us God's light like it hasn't been seen in 2000 years. In my book that earns him credit far beyond a doctorate

Saint Vic stole the work of his peers and claimed it as his own, something no intellectually honest academic would do.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

Let's thank God you're not the standard.

But then, not being a woman, you wouldn't know what it was like to be drugged and taken advantage of.

57 minutes ago, Mike said:

based on the POSITIVE effects of PFAL on my life and on the lives of many others. 

This is the same as saying nothing.

And what positive effect is that?

Who are these others you're speaking of?

I know 18,000 people PLAF had a negative effect on.

You're always talking about the good in abstract. Go over some of the stories here and notice they not only mention the negative effects, they go into specifics.

Edited by So_crates

53 minutes ago, Mike said:

*/*/*/*/*/*

Mike...u disappoint ... I know u can do a better hatchet job than this :dance:

Edited by OldSkool

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

I guess I just don't understand why he would even need this degree, seeing as how God gave him access to all the secrets of the universe anyhow.

:jump: Ok...think im done with the internet for now...

I have been objectively investigating the movement of religious hucksters for a few years. Religious hucksters have been around for millennia, but a movement emerged out of the evangelical/fundamentalist/Pentecostal tide that was rising in early 20th century America. By mid 20th century, this movement was reaching a crescendo.

Every Tom, Dick and Uncle Harry's brother was eager to catch a wave on this storm surge. Unaccredited huckster diploma mills started popping up all over the country to meet a new demand for religious credentials. Most of these "seminaries" offered only correspondent courses. The "course work" was, well, Mickey Mouse. The most important criterion for "earning" a degree was a check that cleared the bank.

These huckster degree mills folded as quickly as they ascended. Most do not exist today. It was a cash grab. For everyone.

Pikes Peak was one of these short lived huckster diploma mills.

Don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Religious hucksters have been around for millennia, but a movement emerged out of the evangelical/fundamentalist/Pentecostal tide that was rising in the early 20th century America. By mid 20th century, this movement was reaching a crescendo.

Im studying this one as well. It traces back to Westcott-Hort, John Nelson Darby, Cyrus Ingram Scofield and onward from there. Occultic ideas were slowly infused into Christianity and Wierwille rode that tide and so did I and thankfully I am out and fully forgiven.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, waysider said:

I guess I just don't understand why he would even need this degree, seeing as how God gave him access to all the secrets of the universe anyhow.

The huckster knows academic degrees boost credibility. Hucksters only need to be beleeeved for their tricks to work on dupes.

The hilarious, twisted irony is victor loved to hate academia... all the while insisting on being called by his academic title.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

Mike...u disappoint ... I know u can do a better hatchet job than this :dance:

My reason I repeatedly post what I do on this topic is to remind people that MUCH of the building that goes into the pure evil, intense evil anti-idol here is a flimsy house of cards.  Plagiarism and the PhD are two examples of the really weak arguments GSC posters are constantly propping up to maintain the pureness of the anti-idol.

These are extremely minor points for me: VPW's degree and being called "doctor."  
I posted all I know and care on the topic, so I am back to whittling down backlog responses to earlier this week, that still await me on my MS Word processor.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

a flimsy house of cards. 

The "ministry" victor paul wierwille built.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Plagiarism and the PhD are two examples of the really weak arguments GSC posters are constantly propping up

They aren't REALLY arguments. They are the conclusions of objective investigations. They go to the heart of victor paul wierwille's integrity. If he was misleading about these two facts, what else was he misleading about?

Turns out he was misleading about oodles and oodles.

l've posted all I know and care on the topic. Let those who want to know find out for themselves.

• Upvote 1

Reading thru the silliness, I just had an idea why VPW wanted that PhD.

One of the ways he conducted research and teaching was to invite guest teachers to HQ.  If he had a PhD next to his name, he would stand a better chance of attracting speakers who were in demand.

Help me here, historians.  When was the date of his PhD ???

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

One of the ways he conducted research and teaching was to invite guest teachers to HQ.  If he had a PhD next to his name, he would stand a better chance of attracting speakers who were in demand.

So he lied about who he was to impress others who were more capable than him so he could steal their work. We agree.

mmmm....whats that word Nathan_Jr used.....mmm....h..h..u..c..k...s....t...e..r.

Edited by OldSkool

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

Reading thru the silliness, I just had an idea why VPW wanted that PhD.

Help me here, historians.  When was the date of his PhD ???

Wrong. Again.

It wasn't a PhD. It was a Thd. And it wasn't earned. Not REALLY. It was purchased.

The reasons for purchasing this ThD were to manufacture credibility with his tithing dupes and to maintain a competitive edge among a rising tide of newly-credentialed charlatan preacher men.

It's the same reason why so many MLB SUPERSTARS took PEDs -- to compete with everyone else jacked on roids.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves, snow and grammar. Always in that order.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

My reason I repeatedly post what I do on this topic is to remind people that MUCH of the building that goes into the pure evil, intense evil anti-idol here is a flimsy house of cards.  Plagiarism and the PhD are two examples of the really weak arguments GSC posters are constantly propping up to maintain the pureness of the anti-idol.

These are extremely minor points for me: VPW's degree and being called "doctor."  
I posted all I know and care on the topic, so I am back to whittling down backlog responses to earlier this week, that still await me on my MS Word processor.

The intense evil VPW idol worship is even stronger and actually IS a thing that the Bible teaches you not to do.

Stealing and lying are wrong no matter how many times you call it a weak argument to say so.  Tell it to Jesus at the return we don’t care.

The reason you post so much is because the intensity of the idol worship in your mind is so strong you can’t help but speak about it.  You think you are doing good.