GreaseSpot Cafe

GSC offers first, clear vision that twi-followers are caught in trap

skyrider

57 minutes ago, chockfull said:

The church was built to serve the community first, then denominational needs second.  I revisited the church within the last 5 years.  It was too late to reconnect with people I knew - they were kind but I had made my choices and my high school best friend who was the pastors son had died in a car crash a decade ago.  The pastor also had passed.

What I saw was that all of their office buildings had scheduled meetings for probably 15 to 20 different community interest groups who all used their offices for free for meetings.  That was still functioning according to the original idea when I was there.

Now.... that's a church model that I could really support :eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

16 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Wednesday is Bingo night

Okay....that seems fair.  Make a slot for the elderly folk :wave:

• Bingo in one room
  • Card games in another (bridge, spades, hearts)

Community activities in the church are closed Mondays and Thursdays

• Need time for cleaning, kitchen inventory and deliveries
  • Only on special occasions will exceptions be made.

Edited by skyrider

Grease Spot Monthly Cathedral & Community Center

Closed Mondays and Thursdays for housekeeping, inventory, deliveries

A subsidiary of Grease Spot Café offering original clear-cut revelations that TWI-followers are stuck in a scam

19 hours ago, skyrider said:

Church Service Once a Month

Freedom:  A Beautiful Reality

For those who continue in the religious trappings of the day.... most will scoff at this concept.  It nearly borders on blasphemy!  The avid church-going Christian will say, "Didn't God do His work for six days, but rested on the seventh.... setting apart this day for reverence and rest?  How would ONLY meeting once a month not hold dishonor and contempt to what God so freely gave?"

Here's a "radical" thought to bypass those religious barriers.  On the other three Sundays.... if someone felt that it dishonored God, then get your family together at home for 20-30 minutes for prayer and some Scripture reading.  Sing a song or two if you like.  Problem solved.  Guilty feelings assuaged.  Blasphemy stopped in its tracks.

The most dangerous man to the religious faction of the community is "the guiltless man."  There is no way to disarm this man except through guilt.  Through that which he himself has accepted as guilt.  This man simply refuses to allow others to force him to kowtow to their religious rituals.  He is the man who stands his ground having strong convictions of what he believes.  He lives by his own standards and clean conscience.  Thus, religious factions, most all, look for ways to insert aspects of coupling him to "the original sin" and/or awareness of his shortcomings.  But a man of clean conscience has already addressed these issues and asserted his position in his own mind.

Is there something about the religious ritual of sitting in a church on Sunday (for Christians) that checks all the boxes?  There are plenty of religious groups who feel that it's perfectly fine to attend home fellowships rather than church buildings.... as twi-followers would concur.  My paternal grandparents, in the 1920s-1930s, had an itinerant preacher visit their home about every six weeks.  When he wasn't there. my grandfather did the honors with family, and sometimes extended family in attendance.

IMO, the reason to even have a "church facility" is for the benefit of the community, the townspeople, the youth.  Therefore, this concept of a monthly church service has validity.  Especially a facility with break-out rooms and a gymnasium.  It pulls in the youth, the 12-18 year-olds, to healthy activities rather than have them run the streets where gang activity is increasing.  As a community service, the church could have a food pantry or food drive once a month, Saturday 8am-noon.

It is high time to break some of these religious barriers that have ingrained themselves into the fabric of our society.  It is past time that we stop this merry-go-round.... and breathe fresh air.  LIVE LIFE.

Edited by skyrider

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

For those who continue in the religious trappings of the day.... most will scoff at this concept.  It nearly borders on blasphemy!  The avid church-going Christian will say, "Didn't God do His work for six days, but rested on the seventh.... setting apart this day for reverence and rest?  How would ONLY meeting once a month not hold dishonor and contempt to what God so freely gave?"

Here's a "radical" thought to bypass those religious barriers.  On the other three Sundays.... if someone felt that it dishonored God, then get your family together at home for 20-30 minutes for prayer and some Scripture reading.  Sing a song or two if you like.  Problem solved.  Guilty feelings assuaged.  Blasphemy stopped in its tracks.

The most dangerous man to the religious faction of the community is "the guiltless man."  There is no way to disarm this man except through guilt.  He simply refuses to allow others to force him to kowtow to their religious rituals.  He is the man who stands his ground having strong convictions of what he believes.  He lives by his own standards and clean conscience.  Thus, religious factions, most all, look for ways to insert aspects of coupling him to "the original sin" and/or awareness of his shortcomings.  But a man of clean conscience has already addressed these issues and asserted his position in his own mind.

Is there something about the religious ritual of sitting in a church on Sunday (for Christians) that checks all the boxes?  There are plenty of religious groups who feel that it's perfectly fine to attend home fellowships rather than church buildings.... as twi-followers would concur.  My paternal grandparents, in the 1920s-1930s, had an itinerant preacher visit their home about every six weeks.  When he wasn't there. my grandfather did the honors with family, and sometimes extended family in attendance.

IMO, the reason to even have a "church facility" is for the benefit of the community, the townspeople, the youth.  Therefore, this concept of a monthly church service has validity.  Especially a facility with break-out rooms and a gymnasium.  It pulls in the youth, the 12-18 year-olds, to healthy activities rather than have them run the streets where gang activity is increasing.  As a community service, the church could have a food pantry or food drive once a month, Saturday 8am-noon.

It is high time to break some of these religious barriers that have ingrained themselves into the fabric of our society.  It is past time that we stop this merry-go-round.... and breathe fresh air.  LIVE LIFE.

In the soul of every human is the desire to examine one’s own existence, to align their ideals with practices and to give meaning to their own life.

A person needs the time to be spiritual.  They need time for loved ones closest.  They need time for community.  They need time to work.  They need time to relax and escape in hobbies.

Religion especially religious organizations tend to blur the lines between all these categories and blend them together like a large crappy pesto.

You can be spiritual by serving they say.  Your loved ones can move the word with you they say.  Work isn’t your true calling your free volunteer position is they say.  Don’t spend your time and money on second rate causes they say.

I am not even talking about Christianity exclusively here.

The same abuse of people toward a cause and lack of logic and compassion and understanding exists in all modern cults and most hardcore intense religions as well.

If your pesto has more than 2 or three simple high quality ingredients then it is gonna taste like a dirty football field.  And boundaries will be overstepped.  And life increases suckage.

My spiritual time is me time.

My time with loved ones is not to be usurped by any group of idiots with goals.

My work deserves my full commitment and having someone who feels they have a calling  or talent in a profession.

My hobbies help expand my world and experience help me rest and help me connect with people all over the world.  As opposed to your first rate sitting on a phone hookup?

My life quality increases in the little things.  And church fits in there.  But not as the diva who needs 100 percent spotlight 24/7.  She can learn to do her own nails.

Edited by chockfull

On 2/17/2023 at 10:50 AM, skyrider said:

GreaseSpot Cafe offers the first, clear vision that twi-followers are caught in a trap.

One of the great things about Grease Spot Cafe is all the eye-opening anecdotes, personal experiences, interesting books and hyperlinks that Grease Spotters share here. It's helpful in so many ways and it often whets folks' appetite to explore these things for themselves.

Escaping the harmful and controlling mind games of The Way International should be driven by something from within you.

And probably the first  of hurdles to overcome is to work on self-respect – a healthy pride and confidence in oneself – which has been deliberately whittled down by The Way International through various means with the end goal of you trusting what the ministry says over anything else – even your own cognitive skills and intuition…

...In the wake of the ministry-wide meltdown after the Patriarch Paper, all kinds of red flags, questions, and doubts popped up in my head! That propelled me to investigate and reevaluate just about everything I learned from the ministry…

It's probably the most difficult part of the journey – the beginning.

Because YOU have to THINK – not just absorb what someone at Grease Spot Café said.

YOU have to mull it over – examine the matter, analyze it and meditate on the possible actions as well as their outcomes – and then at some point YOU will have to CHOOSE what action to take – and of course deciding  NOT  to think about this stuff anymore but remain comfortable in your little TWI-world is  YOUR  CHOICE  also.

In the 1999 movie   The Matrix   the main character Neo is offered the choice between a red pill and a blue pill by rebel leader Morpheus. There’s only two options and Morpheus explains the stark difference between the effects of each pill. The red pill will enable Neo to learn a potentially unsettling life-changing truth. The blue pill will permit Neo to remain in contented ignorance. The red pill represents an uncertain future…it would free Neo from an enslaving dreamlike control system and allow him to escape into the real world…Grease Spot Cafe is like the red pill 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Escaping the harmful and controlling mind games of The Way International should be driven by something from within you.

Hopefully, that something from within you is what drove you to seek out the Greasespot Café. 

Indeed, T-Bone, your analogy is apt. New reader, I hope you're interested in this adventure. :love3:

10 hours ago, T-Bone said:

In the 1999 movie   The Matrix   the main character Neo is offered the choice between a red pill and a blue pill by rebel leader Morpheus. There’s only two options and Morpheus explains the stark difference between the effects of each pill. The red pill will enable Neo to learn a potentially unsettling life-changing truth. The blue pill will permit Neo to remain in contented ignorance. The red pill represents an uncertain future…it would free Neo from an enslaving dreamlike control system and allow him to escape into the real world…Grease Spot Cafe is like the red pill 

“An enslaving dreamlike (sleep-walking thru life) CONTROL SYSTEM…. sounds about right for twi.  Where they encroach upon one’s own 1) Behavior, 2) Information, 3) Thoughts and 4) Emotions…. attempting to micro-manage the clones “to do the work of the ministry.”

Choosing the “red pill” opens the pathway to independent thoughts and actions.  Some might even call this red pill choice “Release from your prisons” found in twi’s Blue Book…. the fundamental guide and guardrails that keep you from straying from the cult.

And, even though twi has all sorts of ways to manipulate control…. why is it that very few, having escaped, come crawling back to twi’s “sanctuary” love nest?”  In fact, testimony after testimony here at GSC gives birth to newfound freedoms.  Some might refer to leaving the walls of twi as “an uncertain future”…. but in actuality, STAYING THERE brings uncertainty on multiple fronts.  In my experience, the worst possible situation is being field way corps who daily scramble to appease twi- leadership, working for free AND constantly confronted to keep their abs-levels up, with no deep consideration about their future or anemic retirement funds.

Pick the red pill to enjoy the thrill of LIFE.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, T-Bone said:

In the 1999 movie   The Matrix   the main character Neo is offered the choice between a red pill and a blue pill by rebel leader Morpheus. 

In April 1999..... Paul All*n started up Waydale and presented us with a choice.  With open forums, lively discussion and an ongoing document section.... we were offered an insider look at twi's underbelly of lies and deception.  Paul was truly a rebel leader for our generation.

Thank you Paul.  Hopefully, you and yours are truly enjoying a fulfilled life.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

In April 1999..... Paul All*n started up Waydale and presented us with a choice.  With open forums, lively discussion and an ongoing document section.... we were offered an insider look at twi's underbelly of lies and deception.  Paul was truly a rebel leader for our generation.

Thank you Paul.  Hopefully, you and yours are truly enjoying a fulfilled life.

It really cannot be overstated the value of a connected group of people questioning the validity of the organization.

I have taken the time also to join some Reddit channels of ex cult members and the vibe is similar.

Questioning facts and teachings, holding leaders accountable for present and past decisions and ensuring dishonesty is highlighted.

The Mormons have a big scandal going on because they use a bunch of shell corporations to hide financial activity just like the big mob families do.  That’s where all the tithes go.  All of the top leadership of that org is multi millionaire rich due to hidden stipends.  Highlighted on /r exmormon.

The JWs have a scandal around little kids.  They hush booted a GB member with no explanation.  Highlighted on /r exjw.

Those channels all deal with family issues of shunning and acceptance of various things, pressure and guilt, and factual sources for issues.

There is a /r cults also that has a broader reach.

One of the tricks of cults is isolating information to make it feel like nobody deals with anything similar, that your history is unique and shameful because of your lack of obedience and believing.

In reality they all play a similar version of 3 card Monte.  Switching the expected for an unexpected loss and blaming the person.

Broadening my horizons help me to see the cheap power plays for what they are and to expose them.

I too hope Paul and Fern have a better life than their past and am sure they will.  Obviously their nda prevents further discussion of anything from them but I hope they got enough of a settlement to secure their family’s future, that was in jeopardy because of the actions of the Way International.

3 hours ago, chockfull said:

One of the tricks of cults is isolating information to make it feel like nobody deals with anything similar, that your history is unique and shameful because of your lack of obedience and believing.

In reality they all play a similar version of 3 card Monte.  Switching the expected for an unexpected loss and blaming the person.

Broadening my horizons help me to see the cheap power plays for what they are and to expose them.

When I went on hq-staff in August 1979 (interim year) and 1981-1984 (after corps graduation)..... I started to see a disconnect in wierwille's mandates of putting staffers on salary and paying them "according to their need."  Supposedly, this policy had been instigated since the days Rhoda Becker Wierwille was hired.  None of us knew what one another's salary was (accept the Finance Department).... but there always seemed to be this small talk of purchases made that didn't fit into the category of "need."

For example, my wife and I were invited to a corps grad couple's apartment for a nice, home-cooked dinner.  And, it was lovely.  But while we were enjoying this nice dinner.... the husband casually drew our attention to their newly-purchased dining room buffet.  He was brimming with pride when he added, "And, we are waiting on our new matching dining room table soon."  I held my thoughts and composure, but underneath it all... I remember thinking, "...how does that qualify for need?  Wouldn't everyone on staff like to furnish their apartments and homes with two or three nice pieces of furniture each year?"  Seemed like my wife and I had much lower "need levels" that what others were getting from their paychecks.

One of the unjust realities of living by this "needs basis" policy is the manipulation of guilt.  Obviously, we had NOT padded our level of need, because we were trying to emulate Rhoda's example of simplicity.  I remember when our interim corps group (9th corps, Family Corps 5) were invited to have a night with Ermal and Dorothy Owens.  As Dorothy remembered the early days of twi where staff were compelled to live frugally, she relayed the story that when they invited couples over for cards and/or social evenings.... they served cinnamon and sugar toast cut in triangles.  But then.... (thinking back on it all) she never mentioned that twi provided them a nice double-wide unit for the rest of their lives next to the brc.

Were the auto mechanics to be paid at the same "need level" as the janitor who waxed the floors?  Or the person in the kitchen who did prep work for each meal?  What about the heavy-equipment operators.... was their skill level the same as the newly-hired bookstore employee who stocked the shelves?  Were the guys who cut the grass at the same caliber of skill as seasoned electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and cabinet-makers?  And, why.... after just a few short years did these skilled tradesmen leave twi for higher pay and a better living elsewhere?  Whereas the lawn mowing crew remained relatively the same?

Wierwille's policy was determined illegal by lawyers around 2000... just after the out-of-court settlement with the Allens and January Barn*s Park*r.  So, it took LAWYERS to get twi to change wierwille's mandate that was in effect from 1957-2000.  For 43 years, twi was doing illegal practices.  What kind of reparations are we going to see from THAT???  LOL  And further, twi had us sign those waivers that gave them leeway to not pay withholding taxes... so I have zeroes on my annual statement which reduced social security payouts.  Just more cheap tricks by wierwille and twi to ensure power and finances over others.

So yeah.... it's good to come here and remind others of twi's shady past.  That way, at least, they cannot say that they were not warned.

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, chockfull said:

Perhaps very closely related to GASLIGHTING. Readers would do well to note how CULTS are not the only (manipulative) organizations to use these or other confidence games. I've run into them from employers and public education entities. Experience is a harsh teacher, but the critical thinking lessons learned are quite valuable. 

54 minutes ago, skyrider said:

None of us knew what one another's salary was (accept the Finance Department).... but there always seemed to be this small talk of purchases made that didn't fit into the category of "need."

I suspect many organizations employing people do this. My second employer (a small retail chain for which I was hired as an accountant) after graduating from college controlled store managers in a similar way. The president/owner was deeply afraid of networking akin to unionization. She didn't call it "need basis." She simply knew it would jeopardize her empire if she wasn't able to control the information sharing.

59 minutes ago, skyrider said:

One of the unjust realities of living by this "needs basis" policy is the manipulation of guilt.  Obviously, we had NOT padded our level of need, because we were trying to emulate Rhoda's example of simplicity. 

Guilt was (and perhaps still is) an effective method of psychological manipulation to ensure (or minimize the possibility) the scales on workers'/followers' eyes never fell away... allowing a person to KNOW the TRUTH which could then set them free.

How convenient the CULT easily justified the luxuries granted to the one who bought the corporate plane, the conveniently available clandestine meeting place for sexually assaulting attractive young women followers (the bus/motorcoach) and the extravagant motorcycle Wierwille. Because, of course, he was revered.

I wonder also how many "love offerings" Wierwille and Martindale were given when they traveled to region or limb meetings in country or overseas.  

On 2/21/2023 at 1:07 AM, Rocky said:

Pastors gotta find a better business model.

If I was wanting to figure it out now, I'd be wanting to learn from John Pavlovitz. He spent 25 years as a pastor and became disillusioned with the church. But he still writes, still ministers, and has found ways to subsist.

Just ruminating once again on this. In Acts, why did local Christian communities support their pastors and traveling ministers like Paul, or Peter and Barnabas?

There are clues in the (scripture) texts right? Did those ministers con their followers into believing they were worthy of undeserved gifts? Or... something else, like exchange of goods or services? Did they make it a social contract of sorts?  

4 hours ago, Rocky said:

Perhaps very closely related to GASLIGHTING. Readers would do well to note how CULTS are not the only (manipulative) organizations to use these or other confidence games. I've run into them from employers and public education entities. Experience is a harsh teacher, but the critical thinking lessons learned are quite valuable. 

I suspect many organizations employing people do this. My second employer (a small retail chain for which I was hired as an accountant) after graduating from college controlled store managers in a similar way. The president/owner was deeply afraid of networking akin to unionization. She didn't call it "need basis." She simply knew it would jeopardize her empire if she wasn't able to control the information sharing.

Guilt was (and perhaps still is) an effective method of psychological manipulation to ensure (or minimize the possibility) the scales on workers'/followers' eyes never fell away... allowing a person to KNOW the TRUTH which could then set them free.

How convenient the CULT easily justified the luxuries granted to the one who bought the corporate plane, the conveniently available clandestine meeting place for sexually assaulting attractive young women followers (the bus/motorcoach) and the extravagant motorcycle Wierwille. Because, of course, he was revered.

Rocky, you are right of course.... other (manipulative) organizations DO THE SAME.

But that's just it.... twi was NOT supposed to BE like other (worldly) organizations.  After all, this was (drum roll).... "God's ministry."  Why, wierwille staked his life and integrity on "standing for God."

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

I wonder also how many "love offerings" Wierwille and Martindale were given when they traveled to region or limb meetings in country or overseas.  

Lots of cash flowed thru their hands.

The one specific incident that I have full knowledge was in the Fall of 1985.  I was the Country Coordinator for Canada and Howard Allen phoned me.  He told me that their annual Trustee Meeting was at *the Lake of the Woods* in western Ontario and wanted some $4,000 Canadian money for this trip.  He requested that I withdraw it from The Way of Canada's account and bring the cash directly to him in Ohio.

Was never privy to all the details of this trip, but most likely Craig, Don and Howard were accompanied by three or so men to cook meals, clean up around the camp, get fishing bait and tackle, and be the general "go-fers" that they were.  Who knows?  I wouldn't be surprised if a corps girl or two went as well.

So, $4,000 for some limited groceries, beer, fishing gear and incidentals while in Canada.  I would assume that twi paid most of the gas and necessities thru various credit cards and petty cash funds prior to crossing the border into Canada.  So, if the motor coach was stocked with essentials.... where did all the money ($4,000) go?  What gifts did the Trustees buy themselves with plenty of money left over?  Or, did they lavishly dole out gifts to their security detail (and girls?) who joined in the fun.... er, annual Trustee Meeting (cough, cough)??

Edited by skyrider
typo

7 minutes ago, skyrider said:

Lots of cash flowed thru their hands.

The one specific incident that I have full knowledge was in the Fall of 1985.  I was the Country Coordinator for Canada and Howard Allen phones me.  He told me that their annual Trustee Meeting was at *the Lake of the Woods* in western Ontario and wanted some $4,000 Canadian money for this trip.  He requested that I withdraw it from The Way of Canada's account and bring the cash directly to him in Ohio.

Was never privy to all the details of this trip, but most likely Craig, Don and Howard were accompanied by three or so men to cook meals, clean up around the camp, get fishing bait and tackle, and be the general "go-fers" that they were.  Who knows?  I wouldn't be surprised if a corps girl or two went as well.

So, $4,000 for some limited groceries, beer, fishing gear and incidentals while in Canada.  I would assume that twi paid most of the gas and necessities thru various credit cards and petty cash funds prior to crossing the border into Canada.  So, if the motor coach was stocked with essentials.... where did all the money ($4,000) go?  What gifts did the Trustees buy themselves with plenty of money left over?  Or, did they lavishly dole out gifts to their security detail (and girls?) who joined in the fun.... er, annual Trustee Meeting (cough, cough)??

I wouldn't be surprised either and it's certainly not difficult to imagine.

But the thing that spurred my question was wondering how much cash did the capo di capos launder by taking "love offerings" at the limb and region meetings they traveled to without properly accounting for personal tax purposes. Sure, the organization "lawfully" got out of paying its share of social security taxes, but people on the payroll still had to pay and file income taxes, right? Except when they could launder those love offerings and just take home some extra cash.

Of course, I don't expect you to be able to either calculate or guesstimate. But considering the lavish lifestyle (nowhere near as lush or lavish as Kenneth Copeland), I figure both of them (Wierwille and Martindale) got away with not paying near their fair share of the cost of civilization (taxes).

But I digress. 

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

Just ruminating once again on this. In Acts, why did local Christian communities support their pastors and traveling ministers like Paul, or Peter and Barnabas?

Well, here's my take on this.

When Paul or Peter and Barnabas came traveling thru these areas.... it was electrifying times to be near these men who walked with the power of God.  Signs, miracles, wonders, healings.... could happen at any moment.  These were NOT your present-day dull church services where the pastor tries to stir the congregants with emotional appeals.... no siree!  Back in Paul's day.... these men *BREATHED THE FIRE OF GOD.*

The multitudes got wind of this God-power and brought forth sick folks and those vexed with unclean spirits and they were healed every one [Acts 5:16].  Who wouldn't want to be a part of this life-thrilling and deliverance event?  That's why support was freely given.  These were not the chief priests, high priests or Pharisees doing the Lord's work.... these were VALIANT MEN OF GOD'S CHOOSING.

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

But the thing that spurred my question was wondering how much cash did the capo di capos launder by taking "love offerings" at the limb and region meetings they traveled to without properly accounting for personal tax purposes. Sure, the organization "lawfully" got out of paying its share of social security taxes, but people on the payroll still had to pay and file income taxes, right? Except when they could launder those love offerings and just take home some extra cash.

Of course, I don't expect you to be able to either calculate or guesstimate. But considering the lavish lifestyle (nowhere near as lush or lavish as Kenneth Copeland), I figure both of them (Wierwille and Martindale) got away with not paying near their fair share of the cost of civilization (taxes).

But I digress. 

As you noted, I wouldn't begin to guesstimate how much cash went undisclosed "under the table."  I remember ushering and collecting horns of plenty at roa in the early 80s.  You know, when wierwille did the big meeting and abs-push for all that twi had done for you.

In each section, we collected the horns of plenty with cash only and were strategically told to take these to the OSC Building, thru the big door where they parked the fire truck.  At the back of this room (out of sight from the general public).... there were like 8 clean trash barrels for us to dump the cash into.  I do not remember seeing one check (only cash) in all the activity.  Make no mistake... the security guys were watching all of this movement like hawks.  I got the impression that they didn't even trust Limb/Region guys from sticking their grubby little paws into these horns and pocketing some money for themselves.

What happened to these trash cans of cash.  Well, I have no idea, but was given the impression that they were swiftly taken to the Finance Department for counting and safe keeping.  All of it, cash.  How would any one ever know if major sums never made it on the books?  Whose to say that one (or two) trash cans of cash never even made it to the Finance Department?  Everyone was glued to their chairs as wierwille opened his Bible and began teaching.  Slick, nice diversion.

9 hours ago, Rocky said:

But I digress. 

One of the financial numbers as you know that was made public was the around $65 million in assets that is owned by TWI.  A lot of this was left from the around 80% mass exodus surrounding VPs death.

Much like the multi billion Mormon slush fund, TWI also made money in investments off of some of that money.  Some of those assets would also be how they afford retirement and health benefits also.  

Two campuses were sold off - Indiana and Emporia.  So the $$$$ from those assets are around also.

Money in cults flows upwards.

Restrictions to life in cults flow downwards.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, skyrider said:

Was never privy to all the details of this trip, but most likely Craig, Don and Howard were accompanied by three or so men to cook meals, clean up around the camp, get fishing bait and tackle, and be the general "go-fers" that they were. 

Looking back at all this frivolous activity:  Craig, Don and Howard were three of wierwille's chosen misfits... considerably awkward at adjusting to the changing environment around them.  They were appointed by wierwille at particular points relative to situations that he wanted to control.  All three were yes-men with no leadership prowess amongst them..... at least, not in terms of leading others to greater heights.

Craig, the jock who played second string football at Kansas University knew he was a Grade-A a$$hole.... er, athlete and set out to prove it every day.  Not only was he THE spiritual athlete in that production, spirits in the athlete... er, Athletes of the Spirit... he made sports the center-right piece of his new foundational class The Way of Abundance and Power.  That class was a major disappointment and belly flop within three years.

Don was the most neutered of the three.  He had his educational background to stand upon and was readying to work on his doctorate when his old man gave him a position he, seemingly, couldn't refuse. Quit your career in Michigan (or was it Wisconsin?) and come be the "Dean" of The Way College of Emporia.  While there, he wrote his thesis paper on this project to get his doctorate.  Besides being given the title of "Dean Don" in a "college" that didn't need a Dean...how did that that work out for Don?  No wonder some referred to him as "Ding-Dong."

Howard was the head "go-fer" to wierwille thru the decades.  Whatever wierwille needed, Howard would go-fer it.  Wierwille needed a brc to start his ecumenical work at the wierwille farmstead.  Howard led the charge to build it (since Howard's background as a lumberyard foreman in Kentucky preceded him).  Wierwille needed someone to drive the camper.  Howard could do that.  Wierwille needed a secretary-treasurer when his brother, Harry, passed away.  Howard could oversee that.  The incremental steps to rising to the "trustee level" of a cult.

Yet, none of these men knew how to navigate the forces of change.  They were entrenched in wierwille's machinery that badly needed overhauling to keep leading the thousands coming to twi.  Aspiring men with academic pedigrees were stride-for-stride outpacing them and rather than make room for new leadership and growth, the "trustees" stymied their potential.  Much like wierwille, the new trustees grabbed onto these reins of control even tighter... and within a matter of years, this "horse" was outta the barn running for the hills never seen again.

Inept trustees begets an inept president's cabinet.

Edited by skyrider
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

One of the financial numbers as you know that was made public was the around $65 million in assets that is owned by TWI.  A lot of this was left from the around 80% mass exodus surrounding VPs death.

Of course, that number, reported in an Arizona Corporation Commission annual filing, when said filings required such numbers. There was no requirement for auditor verification. There is no longer any requirement for reporting assets to the ACC. So, $65million was simply a marker usable to build suppositions around.

21 hours ago, chockfull said:

Money in cults flows upwards.

Restrictions to life in cults flow downwards.

Succinctly stated, chockfull.

And, THAT should have been an early indication that we were in a cult.  The community churches that I've attended offer support and assistance in a variety of ways, not restrictions.  And, most all of these churches show transparency of money received and money spent.  Pastors and elders visit nursing homes and hospitals to offer prayer and support to the elderly.... while often, youth pastors encourage mission outreach and youth activities.

When was the last time twi's board of directors personally sent out a "Get Well" card to someone in twi that was going thru surgery?  Or, heavens-to-Betsy.... made a hospital visit to someone dying of cancer?

When one thinks about this, there is an abysmal gap between how cults function and how proper churches operate in the community.  One takes, one gives.  One spouts policy, the other exhibits love.  One constricts, the other breathes life.

• Like 1