GreaseSpot Cafe

I Have Doubts About This God

When people have to face an uncomfortable situation they create some kind of spiritual outcome to deal with their uneasy feelings. Prior to the 1990’s, when a pet died they were buried and that was the end of it. Then, to make grieving “pet parents” feel better, the Rainbow Bridge concept was introduced. Now, not only will grieving “pet parents” see their dead relatives in the future, but they will also be reunited with their deceased dogs, cats, turtles, birds, rabbits, worms, or any pet they owned who died. 

I can see how the concept of being reunited with dead ones came to be. Overtime, the grief of being away from deceased family became too much to bear. And the belief of being reunited with one’s loving relatives was born. Of course, for some reason, there were caveats thrown in. If Christian, and depending on which religion you followed, some family members might not meet you in the air. If RC, hope and pray your did not die with a mortal sin on your soul, because you will suffer life eternal with the devil. If you were of the belief one had to confess Roman 10:9&10, and your brother Andy didn’t confess, you can forget seeing him again. If your family worships Islam, the best you can get is 27 Virgins wating for you. I am sure there are religions you and I have never heard, who have their own rules for seeing lost loved ones.

The hereafter world is sure getting more and more complicated and crowded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waysider said:

I think the song covers very well the saying, “Life’s a bit** and then you marry one.” Not much to look forward to, eh?

Trying to keep up with all the religions of the world can also get harder everyday. Which one will you follow to ensure you get to cross into the pearly gates? Or is it purgatory, first? It is just so complicated anymore.

Edited by Stayed Too Long

5 hours ago, waysider said:

My life, it's only a season A passing September that no one will recall.

HERE

Great song to underscore the actual worth of one’s life. It demonstrates how we are but a drop of rain, a spec of sand sweeping through a large desert, or  a small ripple across the mighty oceans, as we venture through our short existence on this planet. Some have the need to be remembered much more than the falling crystal of snow that helped fill a large river.
They donate huge sums of money to have schools named after themselves, pay $5 for a brick with their name engraved on it to be used in making a walkway, or give $millions to be remembered by having their names attached to a newly discovered planet billions of light years away.

Some have the need to be immortalized, and do so by creating a god(s), who were, are, and always will be. They have no beginning and will have no end, and only exude love. Their followers will also become immortal. However, these created god(s) do have their limits, given by those that created them, as to whom they will love, or even allow into their group(s). One group of creators, decided their god would only accept others who believed on the lord Jesus Christ. This Jesus Christ god will only love those, that believed he died and was raised from the dead. But a branch of the JC’s dropped this requirement all together, and proclaimed their JC god will only accept you if you get dunked in the river and are baptized. Another sect of the JC’s only demanded you pray the sinner’s prayer, and you would be welcomed in.

A simple search on the World Wide Web of “gods”, will open a whole world of created beings by those who decided to give up their free wiil thinking, and submit to made up creations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stayed Too Long said:

Great song to underscore the actual worth of one’s life. It demonstrates how we are but a drop of rain, a spec of sand sweeping through a large desert, or  a small ripple across the mighty oceans, as we venture through our short existence on this planet. Some have the need to be remembered much more than the falling crystal of snow that helped fill a large river.
They donate huge sums of money to have schools named after themselves, pay $5 for a brick with their name engraved on it to be used in making a walkway, or give $millions to be remembered by having their names attached to a newly discovered planet billions of light years away.

Some have the need to be immortalized, and do so by creating a god(s), who were, are, and always will be. They have no beginning and will have no end, and only exude love. Their followers will also become immortal. However, these created god(s) do have their limits, given by those that created them, as to whom they will love, or even allow into their group(s). One group of creators, decided their god would only accept others who believed on the lord Jesus Christ. This Jesus Christ god will only love those, that believed he died and was raised from the dead. But a branch of the JC’s dropped this requirement all together, and proclaimed their JC god will only accept you if you get dunked in the river and are baptized. Another sect of the JC’s only demanded you pray the sinner’s prayer, and you would be welcomed in.

A simple search on the World Wide Web of “gods”, will open a whole world of created beings by those who decided to give up their free wiil thinking, and submit to made up creations.

But I gave joy to my mother And I made my lover smile And I can give comfort to my friends when they're hurting And I can make it seem better for a while.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, waysider said:

But I gave joy to my mother And I made my lover smile And I can give comfort to my friends when they're hurting And I can make it seem better for a while.

I agree we contribute to people and events to make our life worthwhile, or it would not be too much fun at all. But that doesn’t seem enough for many people…..They have to become immortal and live forever, instead of being a being a passing September.

By the way I think she has a horrible voice.

1 hour ago, Stayed Too Long said:

I agree we contribute to people and events to make our life worthwhile, or it would not be too much fun at all. But that doesn’t seem enough for many people…..They have to become immortal and live forever, instead of being a being a passing September.

By the way I think she has a horrible voice.

Not everybody's cup of tea, for sure. I'm blown away by her songwriting skills. She's like a female counterpart to John Prine. Speaking of which, THIS may have some loosely related relevance to the tone of this thread.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, waysider said:

Not everybody's cup of tea, for sure. I'm blown away by her songwriting skills. She's like a female counterpart to John Prine. Speaking of which, THIS may have some loosely related relevance to the tone of this thread.

Beautiful song. Thanks again for posting it. :love3:

• 1 month later...

I posted this just now on a thread in About the Way. It's very likely this is a HUGE reason many people have doubts about God these days.

From Hector Alavos' book (page 16, btw, he's an actual academic who does legit research on religion and biblical studies and he has an actual THESIS),

Begin quote here:

For our purposes, we can summarize our plea to end biblical studies as we know it with two main premises:

1. Modern biblical scholarship has demonstrated that the Bible is the product of cultures whose values and beliefs about the origin, nature, and purpose of our world are no longer held to be relevant, even by most Christians and Jews.

2. Paradoxically, despite the recognition of such irrelevance, the profession of academic biblical studies still centers on maintaining the illusion of relevance by:
A. A variety of scholarly disciplines whose methods and conclusions are often philosophically flawed (e.g. translation, textual criticism, archaeology, history, and biblical theology).
B. An infrastructure that supports biblical studies (e.g. universities, a media-publishing complex, churches, and professional organizations).

[...]

... enormous archaeological treasures found in the ancient Near East in the last 150 years or so have set the Bible more firmly in its original cultural context. However, it is those very discoveries that show the Bible is irrelevant, insofar as it is part of a world radically dissimilar to ours in its conception of the cosmos, the supernatural, and the human sense of morality. In fact, in a 1975 report published by the American Academ of Religion, one scholar frankly admitted that "indeed, one of the enduring contributions of biblical studies in this century has been the discovery of the strangeness of the thought-forms of the biblical literature of the 'western' tradition to us. In short, scholars of religion themselves, not just secular humanists, admit that the Bible is a product of an ancient and very different culture.

Therefore (this is me, Rocky, now) setting aside the extreme imperfections of his character and emotional immaturity, he was kinda sorta onto something with his exploration of Orientalisms.

Even so, he failed majestically in his imagination by not recognizing the significance of the cultural differences people like KC Pillai introduced to him.

On 3/2/2023 at 11:04 PM, Stayed Too Long said:

The Word of God is full of crazy commandments that make absolutely no sense at all. Why would someone want to worship such a sadistic god? I cannot overlook a god who would treat his children this way.  If my earthly father carried out these acts, he would be in prison and possible executed, and well deserved.

"For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken. No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God." (Leviticus 21:18-21)

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)

"If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters."(Leviticus 26:27-30)

"A bitched shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 23:2)

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)

This is where I think TWI gave out some pretty good advice... i.e. if something in scripture makes no sense, 'hold it in abeyance' -- pray about it and ask God to give you the answer.     

3 hours ago, oldiesman said:

This is where I think TWI gave out some pretty good advice... i.e. if something in scripture makes no sense, 'hold it in abeyance' -- pray about it and ask God to give you the answer.     

Hmmm... 

The Torah has some wicked nonsense, indeed.

But this is not problem for me because I'm not an inerrantist. I know men wrote it. They wrote what they believed. The ancient Near East was a bizarre world. I wouldn't fit in there, and they wouldn't fit in here. I am OK with that. I don't need to make a glove fit.

The holding in abeyance was one of victor's many cop outs. But I do pray about the nonsensical and wicked -- a guided meditation, actually.

• Like 1