GreaseSpot Cafe

Divergent Tactic -- Spend More Time On Devil, Than God

skyrider

2 hours ago, chockfull said:

He taught some practical business type class in the corps that mostly was about turning off lights and saving pencils.  

Oh snap! I forgot all about Practical Management. I never had the official class but read the syllabus in-residence. What a waste of paper. Howard has NO business sense and treats EVERYTHING like an old farm tractor. Which, for an old farm, having an old farm tractor that you can repair forever makes sense. But my Lord! Most equipment, apparatus, facilities even have a natural end of life where their usefulness has expired and items need to be replaced. They were wasting so much money trying to cobb and string things together that couldve easily been replaced with newer and better technology. Crazy. We could do a seperate thread on this non-sense. TWI wastes more money trying to strech resources --- so much for H.A. practical management. Im sorry but turning off lights and saving pencils are not sound business practices, not talking to you here Choclkful as I know Im preaching to the choir.

Yeah, I remember back when guys from the first twig I was in (1972) joined the Way Corps. They came home at Christmas and were talking about how you could live a more abundant life by using less toothpaste and saving old buttons. I should have run for the hills, right then and there.

edit: The last time I looked these guys up, a couple of years ago, they were no longer active with The Way, but still deeply entrenched in all things Wierwille.

Edited by waysider

21 minutes ago, waysider said:

Yeah, I remember back when guys from the first twig I was in (1972) joined the Way Corps. They came home at Christmas and were talking about how you could live a more abundant life by using less toothpaste and saving old buttons. I should have run for the hills, right then and there.

edit: The last time I looked these guys up, a couple of years ago, they were no longer active with The Way, but still deeply entrenched in all things Wierwille.

What’s it gonna take?  Another 20 years before these guys die off?

6 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Lmao....sounds counterintuitive at best. You can have more if you use less....make that make sense...lol

Sure, makes sense.

I took “power for abundant living” to have less. /s

Edited by skyrider

22 hours ago, waysider said:

What is it about cults that keeps people "hooked"..... even AFTER they separate from The Way?

What could it possibly be?  A combination of things?

• They have this attachment to their youth and days of nostalgia?
  • They want to be right..... not able to admit their errors of judgment?
  • They really do have a man-worship association with wierwille?
  • Breaking free of mother-cult.... gives them a false sense of "growing up?"
  • Living under "wierwille's roof"..... they are sheltered living in the basement?
  • This mental disorder gives them license to "stay in their youth?"
  • Others?

I guess, even if these corps grads and advanced class grads (300-1,000 people??)  live in their little echo chamber till the day they pass away.... what harm will it do?  Sure, family members are affected and a few in the communities at large.... but how many people dismiss their ramblings as quirks in society?  There are plenty of people in cults everywhere.  And, there are fringe trappings that obsess others.... occultists, witch covens, UFO sightings, Big Foot, Loch Ness, Abominable Snowman, etc.  

It just seems to me that there is a "convenience" to have their little world wrapped with a bow.  They like how it looks and feels under the Christmas tree.  It makes them feel good, special and important.  It all comes back to being **self-absorbed**.... not caring one whit as to all the questions that swirl around the illogic of it all.  Obviously, that doesn't bother them, because they refuse to address it in conversation or debate.  They like their little world of make-believe.

39 minutes ago, skyrider said:

What is it about cults that keeps people "hooked"..... even AFTER they separate from The Way?

• Living under "wierwille's roof"..... they are sheltered living in the basement?
  • Others?

I guess, even if these corps grads and advanced class grads (300-1,000 people??)  live in their little echo chamber till the day they pass away.... what harm will it do?  Sure, family members are affected and a few in the communities at large.... but how many people dismiss their ramblings as quirks in society?  There are plenty of people in cults everywhere.  And, there are fringe trappings that obsess others.... occultists, witch covens, UFO sightings, Big Foot, Loch Ness, Abominable Snowman, etc.  

It just seems to me that there is a "convenience" to have their little world wrapped with a bow.  They like how it looks and feels under the Christmas tree.  It makes them feel good, special and important.  It all comes back to being **self-absorbed**.... not caring one whit as to all the questions that swirl around the illogic of it all.  Obviously, that doesn't bother them, because they refuse to address it in conversation or debate.  They like their little world of make-believe.

I believe we have an innate desire to make sense of the world - and it's really a lifelong  endeavor - a lot of work, ups and downs, learning curves, etc.  The Way International appealed to me because it seemed to be a shortcut - to my young and naive mind they seemed to have definitive answers for everything…it lasts for a little while - until repeated attempts to apply the things they taught failed. Reality is a hell of an acid test.

Edited by T-Bone
punctuation?! that's a dandy...

5 hours ago, skyrider said:

• Others?

How human of them. :wink2:

On 3/9/2023 at 9:07 AM, waysider said:

mean, wasn't VPW the guy who had the original concept for McDonald's?

Yeah...he was planning to sell wow burgers as big Macs...was right after he invented the hook shot....I think he invented the basketball too...:jump:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

Yeah...he was planning to sell wow burgers as big Macs...was right after he invented the hook shot....I think he invented the basketball too...:jump:

Nah. Basketballs existed before VPW, but nobody knew what to do with them so he invented the hoop.

Edited by waysider
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, skyrider said:

Wierwille was a false teacher who interlaced erroneous doctrine in his pfal class.

Other than that, how was the class...play, Mrs. Lincoln?

I know that. As far as people not rejecting Wierwilleism, or any other cult, I don't know why.

I suspect some cult researchers may have some insight. I haven't read them yet.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I know that. As far as people not rejecting Wierwilleism, or any other cult, I don't know why.

I suspect some cult researchers may have some insight. I haven't read them yet.

Hey Rocky.... my response was not necessarily directed at you.  It's just that when you said, "How human of them"..... I thought of the human response to neglect obvious reality by quipping, "Other than that, how was the class....play, Mrs. Lincoln."

Translation:  Other than wierwille being a serial plagiarist, lying, low-life, drunkard predator..... that pfal class was great, wasn't it?!

Edited by skyrider

4 minutes ago, skyrider said:

Hey Rocky.... my response was not necessarily directed at you.  It's just that when you said, "How human of them"..... I thought of the human response to neglect obvious reality by quipping, "Other than that, how was the class....play, Mrs. Lincoln."

Translation:  Other than wierwille being a serial plagiarist, lying, low-life, drunkard predator..... that pfal class was great, wasn't it?!

Alas, one of the limitations of this form of communication. As an aside, I'm confident our "good friend" Mike might be able to provide some insight. :wink2:

So, otherwise, if I understand your point, you posed a rhetorical question, for all readers to ponder thoughtfully.