GreaseSpot Cafe

Social and Emotional Learning: BITE me

Bolshevik

Just now, Bolshevik said:

I did not hear of SEL until I was "confonted" with it in a series of matters I found odd.  I am asking people in other states their experience.

I hope you don't expect us to come up with a solution.

6 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I did not hear of SEL until I was "confonted" with it in a series of matters I found odd.  I am asking people in other states their experience.

My son goes to a private Baptist K-8. (Neither of us are Baptist.) We haven't experienced any of this... yet.

Just now, Nathan_Jr said:

My son goes to a private Baptist K-8. (Neither of us are Baptist.) We haven't experienced any of this... yet.

They were not up front about it.  Looking back I felt it was sneaky.  

SEL sells itself as science backed such as meta-analysis or studies (rollseyes).  I think they are also trying to generate data with bogus problems that solve themselves anyway.

4 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

They were not up front about it.  Looking back I felt it was sneaky.  

SEL sells itself as science backed such as meta-analysis or studies (rollseyes).  I think they are also trying to generate data with bogus problems that solve themselves anyway.

When he starts high school I'm sure we will get a full initiation. High school will be public and racially, ethnically, religiously, politically, economically diverse - precisely what I want him to experience.

Right now he is in a very white, very affluent, very homogenous.... bubble.

Unless accreditation requires demonstrable implementation of SEL, his middle school wouldn't bother.

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

When he starts high school I'm sure we will get a full initiation. High school will be public and racially, ethnically, religiously, politically, economically diverse - precisely what I want him to experience.

Right now he is in a very white, very affluent, very homogenous.... bubble.

Unless accreditation requires demonstrable implementation of SEL, his middle school wouldn't bother.

My kid was 3.  I believe the intent, looking at my State's website, is that it is to be for everyone, everywhere, all the time.

17 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

My kid was 3.  I believe the intent, looking at my State's website, is that it is to be for everyone, everywhere, all the time.

3. 3!!  WITAF?

I'm reading Louisiana's site now. This will take a while. Lots and lots and lots of words saying very, very little -- like a sermon, class or book from victor paul wierwille.

It seems CRT is explicitly baked in.

I'll repeat: teaching a child he is born racist is as wickedly stupid and as spiritually irresponsible as teaching a child he is born a sinner or born in sin or whatever it is religious charlatans teach.

23 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

3. 3!!  WITAF?

I'm reading Louisiana's site now. This will take a while. Lots and lots and lots of words saying very, very little -- like a sermon, class or book from victor paul wierwille.

It seems CRT is explicitly baked in.

I'll repeat: teaching a child he is born racist is as wickedly stupid and as spiritually irresponsible as teaching a child he is born a sinner or born in sin or whatever it is religious charlatans teach.

Yes vpw.

SEL is primarily funded by CASEL.  Billions of dollars are going in.  This is big money.  So corporate buzzspeak. CASEL's mold was greatly influenced by the Fetzer Institute.  Fetzer was a big spiritualist influenced by Bailey (who wrote about education), another spiritualist under Blavasky who was a Theosophist.  Whatever that is.  Blavasky may have written about Aryans.  That's one rabbit hole.

My son makes friends with all the humans on all the intersection lines I can think of.  (Aparently fertility is also a privilege to be checked).  But that matter of race has not come up.  It's certainly suggested.  . . . When something is wrong when nothing is wrong anything could be wrong. 

The issue of focusing on these emotional and social matters cannot be standardized.  That's a goalpost that can't stay still.  And at the expense of the traditional purpose of school.

There's more rabbit holes, of course.

30 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Bailey (who wrote about education), another spiritualist under Blavasky who was a Theosophist.  Whatever that is.  Blavasky may have written about Aryans.  That's one rabbit hole.

A vast and cavernous network of rabbit holes. Haven't seen anyone reference Theosophy in many years.

Rudolph Steiner was a a Theosophist... or broke away from them... (must renew my mind). He developed an agricultural practice called biodynamics... I used to have a connection to some of its practitioners. Weird stuff, but their results were undeniable, if debatable as to causation, correlation or coincidence. 

9 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

A vast and cavernous network of rabbit holes. Haven't seen anyone reference Theosophy in many years.

Rudolph Steiner was a a Theosophist... or broke away from them... (must renew my mind). He developed an agricultural practice called biodynamics... I used to have a connection to some of its practitioners. Weird stuff, but their results were undeniable, if debatable as to causation, correlation or coincidence. 

Wikipedia says Steiner had mixed relations with the nazi party.  The theosophy symbolism should make it apparent there's possible influence from theosophy to the nazis.  Until recently I hadn't realized how religious Hitler's speeches sound.  (Probably because they weren't in English, and the practice of changing the meaning of words is what cults do)  Blavasky's Theosophy divided people into races with certain jobs or missions.  One race was the Aryans.  

That's not to imply CASEL is of the Nazi's, just they seem to both have common influences related to theosophy.

12 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

. . .

http://changingminds.org/techniques/conversion/lifton_brainwashing.htm

Guilt and Shame are step 2.  (After the assault on identity . . . and notice step 3)

• Like 2

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/se/

While many teachers instinctively know that SEL is important, historically schools have been primarily focused on teaching academic content such as reading, math, science, and history, and less intentional about supporting the social and emotional skills that are so important to learning and life success. 

There is a growing body of research proving that SEL is fundamental to academic success, and must be woven into the work of every teacher in every classroom and every after school and summer learning program, if we truly want to prepare all our students for college and careers. 

This is California.

This is not a new class.  This is everything, everywhere, all at once.  Because WESAYSO.  This is pseudoscience.  This is mysticism.  This is a cult.

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/se/

This is California.

This is not a new class.  This is everything, everywhere, all at once.  Because WESAYSO.  This is pseudoscience.  This is mysticism.  This is a cult.

https://louisianasaveourschools.com/social-emotional-learning

This is an organization in Louisiana fighting SEL. The link to the July 2019 article authored by CASEL researchers is a scary self indictment. It appears SEL is a Trojan horse for CRT and other "theories."

Lot of fights over all this in the Louisiana legislature recently.

Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead were required reading (as were the works of Kate Chopin, Maya Angelou, Zora Neale Hurston...) when I was in high school. I don't know if Ayn Rand will fit intro CASEL's agenda or values of collectivism.

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

https://louisianasaveourschools.com/social-emotional-learning

This is an organization in Louisiana fighting SEL. The link to the July 2019 article authored by CASEL researchers is a scary self indictment. It appears SEL is a Trojan horse for CRT and other "theories."

Lot of fights over all this in the Louisiana legislature recently.

Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead were required reading (as were the works of Kate Chopin, Maya Angelou, Zora Neale Hurston...) when I was in high school. I don't know if Ayn Rand will fit intro CASEL's agenda or values of collectivism.

Collectivism?  . . . shouldn't raise any eyebrows . . . nope . . . 

I haven't read those books.  Did have a history teacher who made everyone read many sides of an issue and then decide what you would have done.  . .  What were his views?  He never gave them away. - That wasn't the point of the exercise.

https://casel.org/casel_sel-3-signature-practices-playbook-v3/

Again with "Belonging" BS. . . . I remember getting training to help adults with "belonging" . . . I said I wasn't their daddy, they can grow up.  You can have school spirit, but school is NOT your family.  (My state actually says SEL helps build a "sense of family")

Why would we want to trust the school teacher to reinterpret small children's emotions for them?

Vintage soda ads: Can you spot the fake? | Grist

SEE . . . "gaining acceptance"  . . . "fitting in"  AKA "sense of belonging".

• Like 1

https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp/the-social-emotional-learning-establishment-seeks-progressive-reordering-of-society/

This is about Virginia and collectivism

but but but .  . .

so maybe "critical" is like "spiritual" in Wayworld

Because adjectives redefine nouns, right?

52 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Did have a history teacher who made everyone read many sides of an issue and then decide what you would have done.  . .  What were his views?  He never gave them away. - That wasn't the point of the exercise.

To my point with the broad survey of literature. This is what it means to have a liberal education in the classic sense of that term.

38 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

To my point with the broad survey of literature. This is what it means to have a liberal education in the classic sense of that term.

Right.  SEL shows up, touching everything with endless new jargon and vacuous explanations that in my experience, ultimately defer to authority.

25 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Right.  SEL shows up, touching everything with endless new jargon and vacuous explanations that in my experience, ultimately defer to authority.

A familiar playbook.

Abracadabra… accuracy!

Hey! I didn’t write the book…  

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

A familiar playbook.

Abracadabra… accuracy!

Hey! I didn’t write the book…  

But they're promising a brighter future for all the children!  To end the school to prison pipeline!  

A release from your prison!  Nobody's ever offered that!

5 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

But they're promising a brighter future for all the children!  To end the school to prison pipeline!  

A release from your prison!  Nobody's ever offered that!

No one has ever put it all together like that - not since the 1st century.

Just beleeeve it!