GreaseSpot Cafe

Social and Emotional Learning: BITE me

Bolshevik

42 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

Without getting into the details, SEL is what's happening in today's govt schools.   I think the kids are getting brainwashed.

Go ahead. Get into the details.

How are the kids getting brainwashed?

(Asking for a dad whose son will be in public school in thirteen months.)

19 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Would love to but the details are political and I think the back and forth would then violate GSC rules.   But you can google it if you like.   Ask for "trouble with social and emotional learning" and so forth.

20 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

It's in every state, both public and private schools.  Might start by looking at the information provided by your repspective state's website.

If you ask the school staff what on God's green earth they are doing, they will say words, say nothing's wrong get nervous and point to the next person.  The next person will say words and phrases and then defer to The State.  You will then read page after page after hyperlink after page,  in their words, "to educate yourself".  If you're the type of person who expects a straight answer and information that doesn't sound like a Way Mag, don't send your kid to school.

So, no discussion? What a gyp.

The materials from CASEL seem vague and innocuous, even common-sensical, but it seems critics see SEL as a way for schools to teach CRT and alphabet city.

Not really sure there needs to be a program for this... not really sure what the program is.

Teaching a child he is a born racist is as wickedly stupid and as spiritually irresponsible as teaching him he is a born sinner.

2 minutes ago, waysider said:

Does the controversy rest in the concept or the implementation?

Both.  Referring to school as family.  Teaching the "whole child".  What's the "whole child".  Well it's starts with "each child".  What's that mean?  Well . . 

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So, no discussion? What a gyp.

The materials from CASEL seem vague and innocuous, even common-sensical, but it seems critics see SEL as a way for schools to teach CRT and alphabet city.

Not really sure there needs to be a program for this... not really sure what the program is.

Teaching a child he is a born racist is as wickedly stupid and as spiritually irresponsible as teaching him he is a born sinner.

It is belived this gets back to dualism.  Body and spirit and becoming a God.  Familiar?

4 minutes ago, waysider said:

So, then...Kindergarten curriculum, rinse and repeat X 12? It all seems too vague and ambiguous to assign a blanket Yea or Nay.

I was clear with the school awhile ago there was a transfer of power and a crossing of boundaries.  I felt they outside their role.  But apparently this could be a move to supplant family and the first amendment.

2 hours ago, oldiesman said:

Without getting into the details, SEL is what's happening in today's govt schools.   I think the kids are getting brainwashed.

That's an awfully political statement/claim, already.

Edited by Rocky

2 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

No, just math.  Because it hurts emotions.

Banning books because of hurt feelings? Where's the social and emotional learning in that?

(Norm Macdonald had a brilliant bit on the solution to the hurt feelings caused by that book.)

Banning books because of hurt feelings? Where's the social and emotional learning in that?

(Norm Macdonald had a brilliant bit on the solution to the hurt feelings caused by that book.)

Well one issue I'm directly dealing with is the school responsible to socialize children?  As in a priority over academics and as an equal or authority to the parents?

5 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Well one issue I'm directly dealing with is the school responsible to socialize children?  As in a priority over academics and as an equal or authority to the parents?

Wow. That's a real issue.

Academics should be the priority. The very nature of school socializes children. Why do I need to even write those sentences?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Wow. That's a real issue.

Academics should be the priority. The very nature of school socializes children. Why do I need to even write those sentences?

That's what I thought.  His academics and conduct are fine.  So an issue was fabricated.  Then we were spoken down to and even put in a state of worry until I found the language rabbit holes.  Then I got more concerned.

1 minute ago, Bolshevik said:

That's what I thought.  His academics and conduct are fine.  So an issue was fabricated.  Then we were spoken down to and even put in a state of worry until I found the language rabbit holes.  Then I got more concerned.

An issue was fabricated?

8 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

An issue was fabricated?

I asked multiple people in a group setting at the school what the issue was.  I have official looking paperwork.  I have made multiple requests to visit the school so they can show me this thing I need to be educated on.  

I believe it's an issue created out of incentive.

6 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I asked multiple people in a group setting at the school what the issue was.  I have official looking paperwork.  I have made multiple requests to visit the school so they can show me this thing I need to be educated on.  

I believe it's an issue created out of incentive.

I'll take this as your own stylized way of showing me instead of telling me just how very f*cked all this is.

I'll take this as your own stylized way of showing me instead of telling me just how very f*cked all this is.

I did not hear of SEL until I was "confonted" with it in a series of matters I found odd.  I am asking people in other states their experience.