GreaseSpot Cafe

Might this be a preventative measure to inoculate children from cults?

Rocky

"Belonging" is a corporate buzzword used for bolstering their CEI.

This term I find threatening to children.

Edited by Bolshevik
Word didn't "belong" . The other redundant and so marked and avoided

8 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

"Belonging" is a corporate buzzword pushed used for bolstering their CEI index.

This term I find threatening to children.

It's not a corporate buzzword, IMO. It's founded in social psychology research, but thanks for playing along, in a seemingly disturbing way.

In social psychology, the need to belong is an intrinsic motivation to affiliate with others and be socially accepted.1 This need plays a role in a number of social phenomena ... From here

Edited by Rocky

In all seriousness, if "sense of belonging" at one time was an innocuous term, it is indeed used by companies and governments.

In this thread you used it for family.

If anything is disturbing, it's the facts.

Edited by Bolshevik
Spellcheck doesn't belong!

57 minutes ago, Rocky said:

image.png

From 

To build strong children 
reinforce their sense 
of belonging to a family 
by articulating exactly what is 
distinctive about your family. They should be able to say with pride 
“Our family does X.”

Kelly, Kevin. Excellent Advice for Living (p. 52). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 

I can't agree with this. It sounds like a strategy for cultivating division and alienation.

As children make their way through the world, they will see for themselves what is distinctive about their own family and what is distinctive about others.

My son has two families: His mother's, a family built on the sand of wierwillian indoctrination, blindness and insularity; and his dad's, who is always having to remind him not to beleeeve anyone and find out for himself.

I hope he doesn't think tribalism is something to be proud of. Mankind is so divided. Beleeef is to blame.

I hope he can learn to quiet his mind and simply look, observe. I will be distinctively proud of him if only he can do that.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

image.png

From 

To build strong children 
reinforce their sense 
of belonging to a family 
by articulating exactly what is 
“Our family does X.”

Kelly, Kevin. Excellent Advice for Living (p. 52). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 

Through my conditioned eyes I can see distinctive differences among these children: race, gender, ethnicity, physical disability, genetic chromosomal disorder...

When these children are asked about the differences between each other... well, you'll have to watch for yourself. The video is a whopping 49 seconds long! 

As they grow older, they are bound to be conditioned and indoctrinated with beleeef. They will never see as clearly as they do now.

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Gloves

46 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

In all seriousness, if "sense of belonging" at one time was an innocuous term, it is indeed used by companies and governments.

Okay, you're disturbed by facts. I can't help that or you. I'd rather not continue to disturb you. Therefore, please don't read this thread. :love3: :wink2:

33 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I hope he can learn to quiet his mind and simply look, observe. I will be distinctively proud of him if only he can do that.

Giving your son an anchor in a storm doesn't mean he has to use the insight to exclude others, does it? 

Now you have an objective to guide you on how/what to teach and train. :love3:

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Giving your son an anchor in a storm doesn't mean he has to use the insight to exclude others, does it? 

Now you have an objective to guide you on how/what to teach and train. :love3:

Don't let failures of imagination set you up for catastrophe. Btw, that's not the first time I've viewed that video clip. I think it's wonderful.

Thanks for asking/commenting in ways that help clarify. 

THE point, with the meme to which you responded, is to set your children up for personal emotional and social intelligence. To not do so might be well illustrated by the verse in Ephesians 4 about being tossed about with every wind of doctrine.

You DO want to help your kiddo(s) grow up with strong and healthy emotional and social resources, right? :beer:

IF your child(ren), as young adults, have developed a strong sense of self-worth and belonging, will they be less vulnerable to the likes of Victor Wierwille or Loy C Martindale? I would hope so.

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Not at all.

My issue is with the presumption that strong children are those who champion and cling to the distinctiveness of their families.

For my son to pridefully say, "My family lo shontas the crowing cocks all day long, and, additionally, we possess the truth like it hasn't been know since..." does not make him strong.

I disagree with the postulate. I'm not arguing.

Is self worth dependent on belonging to any group? It seems we have a desire to belong. Can we teach our children to be strong enough, self aware enough, with enough self worth to go it alone when the group or ideology fails them or when the family dies?

What do the Stoics say about desire? What do they say about the desire to belong? The Taoists say to extinguish desire.

I think a lot of kids were caught up in a desire to belong to something in the 1970s that they perceived as distinctive... enter GSC.

Well I'm warning the term "sense of belonging/belonging" could easily inspire many to follow the mob into the hands of something worse than VPW.  

In fact the term "family" is malleable.

Probably requires defining.

2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Is that the point of the meme? I missed that part.

I reread that meme several times. Sorry, Rocky, I‘m still not seeing the point about emotional or social intelligence. I don’t think I missed anything.

Here it is again:

To build strong children 
reinforce their sense 
of belonging to a family 
by articulating exactly what is 
“Our family does X.”

The more I read this, the angrier I get. This is the kind of wicked ideological bullshonta cults propagate. I can hear the fellowship commander uttering a very close variant of this right now.

We can agree to disagree. 

:beer:

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Well I'm warning the term "sense of belonging/belonging" could easily inspire many to follow the mob into the hands of something worse than VPW.  

In fact the term "family" is malleable.

Probably requires defining.

Well, I see your position as a failure of imagination and curiosity. 

4 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Are you trying to say that YOU (Bolshevik) understood it to mean ... ?

You seem to be slipping into what MIKE used to do a lot. You don't get to decide what I intended to mean. You DO get to tell me/us what you understood it to mean and then to ask if your understanding was/is correct.

51 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

I reread that meme several times. Sorry, Rocky, I‘m still not seeing the point about emotional or social intelligence. I don’t think I missed anything. [What did I (Nathan) miss.]

Now you're doing it?