GreaseSpot Cafe

Might this be a preventative measure to inoculate children from cults?

Rocky

19 minutes ago, waysider said:

ethnocentricity?

No. Perhaps you're thinking tribalism?

I'm thinking and trying to communicate something entirely different.

The closest anyone has responded to my intended meaning is the video clip Nathan shared early on.

If we, as parents, raise emotionally mature and sound children, they'll be accepting of others and NOT NEED to find group identity in cults.

Geez, this really doesn't seem so difficult to me. But I've been studying the concept for decades.

Clearly, I didn't properly assess my audiences ability to think outside of the cult mindset.

4 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

My issue is with the presumption that strong children are those who champion and cling to the distinctiveness of their families.

Emotional maturity, the strength at issue here, is about inner peace and strength. In contrast, those who champion and cling to the distinctiveness of (only) their own families, IMO, dramatically lack emotional maturity (and intelligence).

4 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

I think emotional intelligence was shown to be bunk.  Just a person with a strong vocabulary.

Coleman was it?

You might believe it to be bunk, idk. But if you believe it had been "shown to be bunk" I'd be interested in seeing where and how that was stated.

Perhaps you were thinking of Daniel Goleman? Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ.

Social Intelligence: the New Science of Human Relationships This one was published in 2006. There has been a good bit of research on the subject in the 17 years since then.

2 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I do not believe the State should build a child's sense of self, usurp the parenting role, or consider itself family of the children.

That's "nice." However, that is brazenly political. 

22 minutes ago, waysider said:

Ethnocentricity is different than tribalism in that it also involves a sense of superiority.

Resistance of splitting up families is ethnocentric?

I'm just not sure how ethnocentric has been worked in. 

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

:offtopic:

Please just stop.

Ethnocentricy was brought up which typically means shame tactics are being employed to shut down critical thinking.

Edited by Bolshevik
Words

8 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Ethnocentricy was brought up which typically means shame tactics are being employed to shut down critical thinking.

Nonsense. Just stop.

Nobody said you were entitled to define my intended message.

"Belonging" is a phrase being forced on the population.  It comes through our jobs and our schools.

There's a story about the way east and way west on this website that sounds similar.

Edited by Bolshevik
Words

1 minute ago, Bolshevik said:

"Belonging" is a phrase being forced on the population.  It comes through or jobs and our schools.

There's a story about the way east and way west on this website that sounds similar.

image.png

Ok, I have unlocked this thread again. I  think the discussion should continue so that participants can clarify the points they are making. My only caution is to remain clear of turning it into a political discussion. Discussing how we raise children in families or as a society can easily be done without making it political.

4 minutes ago, Modgellan said:

Ok, I have unlocked this thread again. I  think the discussion should continue so that participants can clarify the points they are making. My only caution is to remain clear of turning it into a political discussion. Discussing how we raise children in families or as a society can easily be done without making it political.

"Sense of belonging" is a term used to encourage groupthink.  Being pushed onto the population at large at our jobs and our schools.

It is merging family, corporate life, school, and politics.  All into one entity. 

Steering completely clear of politics encourages the "avoid a cult by joining this cult" argument here.

"Sense of belonging" is a term that is ultimately part of a State Religion.

I'm having a hard time finding a way to explain what I meant when I raised the issue of ethnocentricity. I'll try, though.

In The Way, we were fed the idea that "our" group was somehow better than "their" group. Hey, I mean, they were just empties floating by, right?, while we held all the power of the universe at our fingertips. But, how do you maintain that personal conviction? Simple. You "renew your mind" to the prescribed beliefs and become like-minded with each other. You foster a sense of belonging. Of course, in the process, you sacrifice your own sense of personal identity.

Edited by waysider
spelling
  • Like 1