GreaseSpot Cafe

In Search of Historic Jesus

11 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Well, it's history. We are talking about historians doing history. Josephus was an ancient historian. The ancients did history very differently. From modern historians like Mason.

I currently accept that both passages mentioning Jesus and the one mentioning his brother, James, to be passages written by Josephus - for the most part.

The Bible is not history, it is scripture. It is not a reliable historical record of fact, that includes accounts of Jesus. I think some of the sayings attributed to Jesus are close to what he said, but most of the text are literary constructions supporting the narrative.

i've said before, it needn't be factual to be true.

There is no Christianity without Paul. Paul makes great claims for himself. He knew that he knew that he knew, but he didn't know Jesus by his own admission.

Yes from delving into Josephus and Eusebius by reading them they are opinionated and there is no baseline of “scientific method” to measure their writings against.  And there is evidence of forgeries there like the old scriptural artifacts from what I’ve read.

What is my bias in this discussion?  I have departed from fundamentalist views and as such don’t hold as high of a value on “textual criticism” or modern anthropology extrapolating truth from pottery shards in as high of a regard as I did while a cult member.

Disclosure statement.

On 2/22/2024 at 6:35 AM, Raf said:

Thank you for pointing out that the author of the epistles to Timothy, who was pretending to be Paul, identified himself as Paul in the letter he wrote pretending to be Paul.

I was starting to question his competence.

On the who pretended to be whom front do you have any anthropological references on Pauline epistles?  What are your sources?

There is a common storyline of Paul in prison verbally dictating letters to a scribe.  Where does this fit in to forgery theories or allegations?

Indeed, the "he was Christ" was not quoted by Eusebius and others, but Steve Mason argues that it would not be unusual for Josephus to give nicknames to his characters, so, it's possible, but not probable. Christ means anointed. If Josephus wrote the disputed clause, it would be a nickname meaning "the smeared one." 

14 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Thank you.  From sentence 4 the scholarly consensus if you have to call it that was that it has an “authentic nucleus” with interpolations.

Correct. I accept scholarly consensus on this one, but not because of the consensus. I am compelled by the arguments for it.

A few years ago I rejected the authenticity of TF, as Raf does now, not because it's contrarian or fringe, but because I was compelled by Carrier's argument.

4 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Indeed, the "he was Christ" was not quoted by Eusebius and others, but Steve Mason argues that it would not be unusual for Josephus to give nicknames to his characters, so, it's possible, but not probable. Christ means anointed. If Josephus wrote the disputed clause, it would be a nickname meaning "the smeared one." 

Well thankfully we have RC history to describe it in Latin, label it FT for obscurity, and assign a priest with a doctoral degree to safeguard it as “doctrine”.  :rolleyes:

I’ve read literary works translated from their original language to English.  I think I miss a fair deal of context from just that.  Chaucer might not communicate the same Over Google Translate.

Josephus from my impression - did he run a local Hebrew newspaper?  It was all 3rd party info he described not direct interaction and contact.

Eusebius if I remember right was 2nd century I have to read up again on him it’s been a while.  I think he supposedly quotes Josephus also.  But I remember thinking when reading Eusebius that whoever writes down their opinion becomes the surviving view of the time.  There were not multiple people writing with different viewpoints.  I think the harmony of the gospels seems like the first attempt at a consolidated history.

2 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Correct. I accept scholarly consensus on this one, but not because of the consensus. I am compelled by the arguments for it.

A few years ago I rejected the authenticity of TF, as Raf does now, not because it's contrarian or fringe, but because I was compelled by Carrier's argument.

So to clarify my bias I kinda rejected giving a f about a priests opinion written in Latin about a biased history account written around Christs lifetime.  

Maybe this is a fundamentalist argument that I do not care about enough to give proper attention to all the arguments of the anthropologists dusting pottery shards.

I haven’t read Carrier all the way just a summary so I will to grasp that perspective.

20 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

So the Google translate of the 2nd century did a real bad job translating jokes?  

I guess that is why TWI latched onto George Lamsa and the other manners and customs guy so hard.  Any language departing from the direct description and going into ideology or myth or stories doesn’t translate well at all.

And vague language gives plenty of room for extreme interpretation.

And extreme fundamentalist interpretation is where VP lived breathed and made his fortune off of unsuspecting dupes like us.

4 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Well thankfully we have RC history to describe it in Latin, label it FT for obscurity, and assign a priest with a doctoral degree to safeguard it as “doctrine”.  :rolleyes:

I’ve read literary works translated from their original language to English.  I think I miss a fair deal of context from just that.  Chaucer might not communicate the same Over Google Translate.

Josephus from my impression - did he run a local Hebrew newspaper?  It was all 3rd party info he described not direct interaction and contact.

Eusebius if I remember right was 2nd century I have to read up again on him it’s been a while.  I think he supposedly quotes Josephus also.  But I remember thinking when reading Eusebius that whoever writes down their opinion becomes the surviving view of the time.  There were not multiple people writing with different viewpoints.  I think the harmony of the gospels seems like the first attempt at a consolidated history.

Yes, Eusebius quotes Josephus. Josephus was not the only historian of the time. There was also Tacitus who mentions Christos (or did he misspell it Chrespus).

Josephus is not the only evidence. It's one piece of a historical picture. The topic is On the Historicity of Jesus.

Methodologies used in doing history are not the same methodologies employed for theology.

The point about the harmony of the gospels! Yes. But do they harmonize? I think historians point to the disharmony and contradictions as reasons to question the historicity.

16 minutes ago, chockfull said:

So the Google translate of the 2nd century did a real bad job translating jokes?  

I guess that is why TWI latched onto George Lamsa and the other manners and customs guy so hard.  Any language departing from the direct description and going into ideology or myth or stories doesn’t translate well at all.

And vague language gives plenty of room for extreme interpretation.

And extreme fundamentalist interpretation is where VP lived breathed and made his fortune off of unsuspecting dupes like us.

To be clear. "The smeared one" is Steve Mason's phrasing of what Josephus might have meant if he actually wrote the clause. Greek was not Josephus' first language. Not every Jew at that time would have been expecting and looking for the messiah. Christos in other Ancient Greek texts meant the smearing, as of plaster, according to Mason.

Josephus was a historian and propagandist for the Flavians. He wasn't writing scripture.

Edited by Nathan_Jr

7 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Yes, Eusebius quotes Josephus. Josephus was not the only historian of the time. There was also Tacitus who mentions Christos (or did he misspell it Chrespus).

Josephus is not the only evidence. It's one piece of a historical picture. The topic is On the Historicity of Jesus.

Methodologies used in doing history are not the same methodologies employed for theology.

The point about the harmony of the gospels! Yes. But do they harmonize? I think historians point to the disharmony and contradictions as reasons to question the historicity.

Yeah and also we have the VPW “new and improved harmony of the gospels 2.0” in the book written by Charlene’s co-workers “Jesus Christ Our Passover”.

The lack of harmony produced a gap allowing Metallica to insert a band in there and make their own harmony with “Enter the Sandman” and “Nothing Else Matters”.

As an obscure reference, this also won’t translate lol :biglaugh:

• Upvote 1

To be clear. "The smeared one" is Steve Mason's phrasing of what Josephus might have meant if he actually wrote the clause. Greek was not Josephus' first language. Not every Jew at that time would have been expecting and looking for the messiah. Christos in other Ancient Greek texts meant the smearing of plaster, according to Mason.

Josephus was a historian and propagandist for the Flavians. He wasn't writing scripture.

Ok so we have an immigrant who doesn’t speak the common language writing history in the new language.  And he might have mixed in a few inappropriate colloquialisms like me learning all the cuss words in Spanish first?   And we don’t see any problems here with arriving at “sola scripture” through external sources?

Sheesh the first 100 yards of this walk is nothing but garbage laying around.

35 minutes ago, chockfull said:

That is my understanding, but that's how history was done back then. Third party transmission from authority was the primary method. That in itself should be cause for questions

That is my understanding, but that's how history was done back then. Third party transmission from authority was the primary method. That in itself should be cause for questions

3rd party from the authority.

Its the North Korea News Network 

oh the dictator is so smart, accomplished, beautiful, desired, intelligent.  Long live the dictator.

3 minutes ago, chockfull said:

And we don’t see any problems here with arriving at “sola scripture” through external sources

Sorry. I am missing something. Probably the joke. My fault, I'm sure. Sola Scriptura is a theological doctrines.... but we're talking about history, right?

1 minute ago, chockfull said:

3rd party from the authority.

Its the North Korea News Network 

oh the dictator is so smart, accomplished, beautiful, desired, intelligent.  Long live the dictator.

Yeah. Reliability should be rightfully questioned.

Ironically, this goes to the heart of why mythicists doubt the historicity of Jesus. And I can understand that.

16 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Sorry. I am missing something. Probably the joke. My fault, I'm sure. Sola Scriptura is a theological doctrines.... but we're talking about history, right?

The essence is questioning the reliability of Josephus given nobody claims divine inspiration for his writings but many want to squeeze that last bit of profit making juice out of scriptural writing.

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

The essence is questioning the reliability of Josephus given nobody claims divine inspiration for his writings but many want to squeeze that last bit of profit making juice out of scriptural writing.

If Josephus or anyone else claimed his writings to be divinely inspired, I would be even more skeptical.

I've said many times here on GSC: The one who claims to speak for God is surely the one who does not.

I apply that to victor and to any charlatan wearing that glove and also to those with misapprehensions and mental illnesses. And it is one of many reasons why I question Saul of Taurus.

Edited by Nathan_Jr

17 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

If Josephus or anyone else claimed his writings to be divinely inspired, I would be even more skeptical.

I've said many times here on GSC: The one who claims to speak for God is surely the one who does not.

I apply that to victor and any charlatan wearing that glove and also to those with misapprehensions and mental illnesses. And it is one of many reasons why I question Saul of Taurus.

Saul of Tarsus could become the linchpin in someone’s faith I guess.

I mean if you just compare surface stories it might show similarities between Saul of Tarsus, Joseph of Utah, and Victor of Ohio.

Should we do a harmony of the meeting Jesus stories?

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

Saul of Tarsus could become the linchpin in someone’s faith I guess.

I mean if you just compare surface stories it might show similarities between Saul of Tarsus, Joseph of Utah, and Victor of Ohio.

Should we do a harmony of the meeting Jesus stories?

Or we could compare victor’s letters to “his corps” with those Paul wrote to his more problematic ekklesiae.

A tone of whiny passive-aggression pervades both. 

1 hour ago, cman said:

I can imagine how badly talked about Paul was in his day.

Easy to do so for anyone familiar with human nature and how challenging accepted orthodoxies can cause massive consternation. I suspect that's not substantially different now than it was two millennia ago. :wink2:

I suspect those talking badly of Paul were in the minority, limited to a few orthodox sects of Judaism. Maybe even those who received the secret teachings directly from Jesus himself did, also. Or maybe they ignored him as they ignored all the other apocalyptic preachers who just knew that they knew that they knew God’s timeline.

I might say, poor Paul…

….But Paul won!

Even among the various Christian sects, later called heretics like the Marcionites and gnostics, Paul was championed.

So, I won’t say, poor Paul. He got what I suspect he always wanted: the last word.