GreaseSpot Cafe

Natural remedies for depression

Abigail

My first thought was alcohol but I don't think thats what you had in mind.

Seriously you might want to check out EFT- Emotional Freedom Tewchnique It has apparantly helped some people- I have used it for personal development and it has helped me. 2life can help you with it if you ask. She uses it to help people. The manual can be downloaded for free from the website.

Dear Abigail,

I took SAM-E for about 6 months. It worked well for me, with the added benefit of easing joint pain, which I have due to Lyme. The effect seemed to be similar to what is reported with prescription antidepressants: it takes the underlying "down" feeling away, leaving you with the whole range of normal emotions, and making it easier to recover from everyday slights and tensions. Cost: about $1 a pill.

I went off it when I thought I might be relapsing from Lyme. I was.

I also have taken St. John's wort, in a tea form. Worked for tension/anxiety, not depression. I guess there are now side effects reported, so I would not take it regularly.

HTH,

Shaz

Abi:

Here's the Web M.D. article I was telling you about:

Vitamin D May Ease Depression

Vitamin D May Ease Depression

Low Blood Levels of Vitamin D May Be Linked to Cause of Depression

By Sid Kirchheimer

WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD

on Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Aug. 2, 2004 -- Vitamin D supplementation, shown in recent studies to help lower risk of certain cancers, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and other conditions, may also relieve depression, according to new research.

Canadian researchers say the benefit of supplementation may come in creating stores of this vital vitamin in the bloodstream to carry people through the dreary months of winter, when a lack of sunlight may lead to or worsen mood disorders -- most notably seasonal affective disorder, the aptly acronymed SAD that affects some 11 million Americans.

Patients with this so-called "winter depression" are advised to treat the condition with a special "light box" that mimics the effects of sunlight during winter months.

Problem From Low Blood Levels?

For this study, published in the July issue of Nutrition Journal, the researchers first identified 130 patients whose blood levels of vitamin D in the summer were considered normal -- about 24 ng/mL. However, some researchers believe that many Americans are vitamin D-deficient and that their blood level may be too low.

"If a patient measures at 24 ng/mL or less in the summer, it will likely drop to 16 ng/mL in the winter because the value you have in the summer is greater than what you'll have in February," says lead researcher Reinhold Vieth, PhD, a vitamin D researcher at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Toronto.

He then gave those patients a questionnaire to gauge their likelihood of depression. Those whose answers suggested a strong possibility of depression were then given supplements containing a daily dose of either 600 or 4,000 international units (IUs) of Vitamin D. They started taking the supplements in summer and continued through the winter.

The patients were re-evaluated a year later. With both doses, patients suffering from depression improved as their vitamin D levels increased to at least 40 ng/mL, what some vitamin D researchers recommend as a normal blood level.

"If I were to provide advice, I would say that anyone in North America should be able to walk into any drug store and buy 1,000 IU vitamin D supplements. And if you consume those supplements every day, you should feel better," Vieth tells WebMD. "It appeared that instead of feeling worse in the winter, they actually felt better with the supplements."

How Much Is Enough?

The Institute of Medicine recommends 200 IU a day up to the age of 50, 400 IU from 51 to 70, and 600 IU over age 70. About 100 IU are found in an 8 ounce glass of fortified milk. Other nutritional sources of Vitamin D include:

• Canned pink salmon: 3 ounces contain about 530 IU of Vitamin D

• Canned sardines: 3 ounces contain about 231 IU of Vitamin D

• Fortified orange juice: 8 ounces contain about 100 IU of vitamin D

• Fortified cereal: 1 serving (about 1 cup) contains about 40-50 IU of vitamin D

In his study, Vieth found benefit from both dosages, although those taking 4,000 IU -- 10 times higher than what it found in most multivitamin supplements -- showed the most benefit.

"If you were to take 600 IUs forever, you'd be doing fine," he says. "But if you haven't taken supplements, taking the 4,000 dose over one winter is better."

These findings come as no surprise to John Cannell, MD, who heads the Vitamin D Council, a group of doctors and researchers who study the effects of this nutrient. He is staff psychiatrist at Atascadero State Hospital, a California psychiatric hospital.

"Basically, what vitamin D does is increase levels of the [chemical] serotonin in the brain," he tells WebMD. Many antidepressant medications work the same way.

"About 90% of patients in my hospital are vitamin D deficient, and I put them on a vitamin D regimen, and it does improve their mood disorders," says Cannell. "It also raises their vitamin D blood levels to above what is considered normal, to about the 40 ng/mL levels."

Don't Stop Other Medication

His advice: First get a simple blood test to measure blood levels of vitamin D. If it falls under 40 ng/mL, he recommends taking daily supplements of at least 600 IU and up to 10,000 IU a day. However, if you are currently taking antidepressants, don't stop taking those drugs if you begin taking the vitamin supplements.

"What this study suggests that is vitamin D deficiency may be an explanation for depression, and that boosting vitamin D levels may help prevent or ease symptoms," Cannell tells WebMD. "But how much vitamin D you need depends on several factors, such as the environment you live in, what time of year it is, your skin type, and sun exposure.

"Taking 4,000 IUs may sound like a lot, but there has never been a single reported case of toxicity at levels up to 20,000 IUs a day," he says. "Your body takes in about that much from sunlight by spending 20 minutes outdoors ... during the summer months. The problem is what happens in winter, when sunlight -- and vitamin D -- is in shorter supply."

SOURCES: Vieth, R. Nutrition Journal, July 2004; vol 3. Reinhold Vieth, PhD, director, Osteoporosis Research Center Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mt. Sinai Hospital, Toronto. John Cannell, MD, staff psychiatrist, Atascadero State Hospital, Atascadero, Calif.; president, The Vitamin D Council.

© 2004 WebM

I couldn't do the SamE,,,,

but for me the St Johns Wort was the best.

try it, w/out the drug stuff, symptoms, etc.

love,

suz

ps, you need 900 mlg of st johns wort and

there are 900 mlg pills, so you don't have to do

3/3X a day,,,etc

Abigail, I'm going to echo Shellon.

I don't know all that you're going through, but I hope you don't underestimate the "natural" healing potential of a healthy diet, long, solitary walks in the evening, and lots of sleep.

If you take any of those herbs and vitamins you've been recommended, please monitor the effects with a doctor. St. John's Wort can cause problems with your digestion, and also high blood pressure, among other things. Sometimes it aggravates anxiety. Kava-kava was all the rage for awhile, but I understand that that might negatively affect your liver (I think that's the organ).

If you take Vitamin D, or any other vitamin, be careful about the quantity. Too much of a good thing can cause a lot of damage. I remember a long time ago, someone once recommended mega-doses of B-vitamins as a cure for some ailment so I tried it and started having really disturbing, vivid dreams. Turns out that's a side effect of too many B's. Plus it didn't do much to cure anything that I could tell.

I hope you find the solutions you need. I know you're cautious by nature, so I don't need to remind you to do your research. Be careful with any treatments. And go easy on yourself.

Edited by laleo

Hi all and thank you.

It is my guess some extra vitamin D would do the trick (and yes I will be careful about how much). I think it has been a long long winter and I have the 'mid winter blues' and need some sunshine.

I'm not suicidal or anything serious like that, just not feeling like my perky up to any challenge self - and there have been quite a few challenges of late.

A trip to the doc would also be helpful and put my mind at ease, as I haven't seen one in quite a few years. But alas, in Michigan if you are an adult with no insurance you are pretty much screwed. However, rumour has it I may be able to get a routine check up through the county health department, something I am also in the process of investigating.

I hear ya on the B's laleo,

its B6 that causes the vivid dreams.

my mother in law said it first and THEN

I found I couldn't take any B's

at night.

Any meds, be it herbs or the ama's

meds should be monitored. those

of you who don't do doc's such as

myself try the over the counter stuff.

makes doc's nervous you should actually

"practice" medicine w/out a license.

some of the stuff does work tho, but of

course monitor it all and watch for signs

that aren't right, etc. do it even w/doc's

approval stuff.

i wish i could get plenty of sleep like

recommended....wish i could sleep more than

every 3 days weather i need it or not...

and melatonin doesn't work for me and

meds are out on that one!

good luck Abi,

suz

One summer I took B vitamins regularly, and noticed that mosquitos and biting flies weren't bothering me at all, and I thought to myself, "Hmmmm, could there be a connection?"

Just a few months ago it was announced that mosquitos avoid certain people, and one thing these people have in common is taking B vitamins.

Steve,

while in rez at IC I worked in the farm.

the mosquitos were eating me alive,

I tried the B solution, I tried the herbal

stuff, hell I wore garlic around my neck

in vain....NOTHING worked,

glad it did for you.

all that water around IC made it impossible

not to have the mosquitos. I think it was

f5 graduation out front when veeee peeee decided

it was to hot and to many damn mosquitos when

they decided to move all graduations in

the air conditioned chapel, (w/out bugs too!)

whew, glad about that!

Hey, Galen. I said St. John's Wort can cause high blood pressure, not that it will. But I guess I should have said may. There was an article somewhere that I ran across linking hypertension with St. John's Wort in some people, but I can't find it now. Anyway, I do have a little booklet called All About St. John's Wort by Hyla Cass, M.D. (Avery Publishing Group:New York 1998) and, while I don't feel like re-typing whole chapters, you and Bonnie might be interested in the following:

quote:
Q. Can St. John's wort raise my blood pressure?

A. . . . I have seen increases in blood pressure from the use of the herb, even when other medications are not used. There is no research information available on this, so use your own judgment. Often, the first sign of elevated blood pressure is a persistent, severe pounding headache, particularly in the back of the head or over the temples, that becomes worse when lying down. While not common, if this occurs, have your blood pressure checked immediately and discontinue your use of St.John's wort.

Anyway, my point is that these herbs aren't innocuous. And I'm with Bonnie in having a doctor monitor her while she's taking the herb.

As far as kava-kava goes, there is no mention of alcohol consumption in this advisory.

1.) Be aware of everything you put into your body, and it's potential for harm, especially in large doses.

2.) Listen to your body, how it reacts to what you're giving it.

If we are educated consumers of OTC herbals and supplements, there will be little need for the government to control such substances.

Shaz

laleo:

"Hey, Galen ..."

I apologize if I sounded offensive, I did not mean to. :-)

"As far as kava-kava goes, there is no mention of alcohol consumption in this advisory."

I partly 'trust' doctors, as I also listen to conspiracy theorys and I partly trust the idea that the medical and drug industrys operate in a manner so as to conitue making more profit for themselves.

Before doing Kava-Kava and St. John's Wort, etc; we did what research we could. I am more 'comfortable' taking things if I am equaly knowledgible of it's side-effects as is the doctor proscribing. No doubt civilian docs are likely better, but we use military ones.

http:/www.emofree.com/depr.htm#menue

(I think that link will take you directly into the archives with articles on depression)..

Ok--- It does not get any more Natural

or non invasive than this!!

BELIEVE me ---I KNOW this sounds friggin nuts---

it is such an easy, FREE, anyone can do it any where, anytime, by them selves (but it works INCREDIBLY well within a group!) easy to learn , ya don't even have to beleive it--or even do it 'right'--- its like 'emotional accupunture' (!!???!!)

BUt it has been so effective for so many people--- all over the world!!

the worst that can happen--- you can have a bit of a laugh doing it!!