GreaseSpot Cafe

Wayspeak, or good spiritual guidance?

Lifted Up

Consider the following statement...

"The next time someone says they would like to find God's perfect will for their lives and that they want to be in the center of His will, send them to the center of His Word!"

Is this "wayspeak" or good spiritual guidance?

Does where it came from make a difference? I mean, does it make a difference whether it came from TWI, an offshoot, a mainline church, or some other source?

probably not a "biggie" question to most, and I don't expect to be deluged with reading material here. Still, I am interested in any responses.

P.S. I have no intention to argue with anyone's response. I don't know if I will even be responding again, but I will be checking to see if this gets an answer or two.

Or if there is a difference, does it depend more on us? Is it good spiritual guidance for others that becomes "wayspeak" because of our TWI/exTWI background?

Seeking God's will and studying the Bible-good things.

Rattling off a pat answer to all problems without actually

getting involved with the people-bad thing.

Beware, lest any man beguile you with "pithanologias",

pithy sayings, catchy phrases, clever sound-bytes.

God was issuing a warning for a reason.

quote:
Originally posted by Lifted Up:

Consider the following statement...

"The next time someone says they would like to find God's perfect will for their lives and that they want to be in the center of His will, send them to the center of His Word!"

Is this "wayspeak" or good spiritual guidance?

Does where it came from make a difference? I mean, does it make a difference whether it came from TWI, an offshoot, a mainline church, or some other source?

It absolutely makes a difference where it comes from, imo.

This question is based upon the assumption that what is found in the bible is the only truth.

?????????????

Ignoring for a minute the source or even if it's a valid statement, it's not guidance, imo. It is, at best, a vague philosophical principle. It can mean almost anything you want it to mean.

This is, imo, very typical way-speak. This statement can't be taken as guidance as it doesn't actually give you a course of action. It puts all of the interpretation and decision-making back on the person asking. Translation: no help at all!

It's Wayspeak or it's equivalent (since I don't know the source). It's a pious platitude.

Just where is the center of His Word? Psalms, right in the middle? Ephesians? Amos?

If the statement is followed up with specifics, then that's a different story, but mouthing a slogan helps few.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Lifty

I disagree with that statement. I think for a Christian to "be in the center of God's will" he/she needs to spend much time in prayer and "seeking the Lord." The bible isn't gonna tell me specifically how to handle the relationships in my life, and point out the best choice in life's situations. But "the Lord knows the way through the wilderness," and we can hear his voice in our lives, through many means, not just bible reading.

Lifted Up I see that statement as definite "wayspeak". I have heard no other group except twi (or it's off-shoots) talk about "going to the center" of God's Word.

Oak Spear good point about pious platitude! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

This statement does seem like a "catch-all" answer. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Just about everything one finds enshrined on a plaque and hanging above ones sink is very helpful in a context where that "pious platitude" is the answer to one's problem.

That is why it got enshrined.

However even John 3:16 becomes rather useless as it becomes just ink on paper or air exhaled over vocal cords.

And the Way never did corner the market on that activity.

UT1

Thanks for the replies...volume of response is just about what I expected.

As mentioned, I will not comment on the replies. I'll probably go into semi-hibernation again, but in the unlikely event someone wants to discuss this further, I am still at... smile092850@hotmail.com

The source, by the way, was the online newsletter of a Lutheran Church (ELCA). I am not a member of this church, but it is the one that played an indirect role in my deprogramming 24 plus years ago.

LiftedUp said:

>>

Well it might not be specifically wayspeak but as far as I'm considered, its mere preacher-babble which is typically used to invoke a few amens. The hard part of this statement is determining just how to "going to the center of His Word". There aren't any specifics to help

the person along.