GreaseSpot Cafe

Music Concerts: How Much Will You Pay?

My husband has a part-time business recording music. He has loved music all his life. As a matter of fact, he was adopted and took an interest in music at a very young age. When he met his birth family, he found out his biological father is an avid musician.

We love concerts. I have attended quite a few in my life, but I am shocked at how much the darn things are costing. Looking back, here's what I paid for music concerts.

1977: First conert: Heart, Little River Band, and Bob Welch--$8.00

Early 1980s: Several jams which included several top bands playing in a day--$15

Late 1980sthrough early 1990's: Aerosmith, Ratt, Bon Jovi, and Monster of Rock Tour (Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica)--$17.00-35.00

I missed the conerts era in the late 90s because I couldn't make time to go to a concert on a work night while on staff.

2002: Heart--$75.00 This was a very good concert. They were better than when I saw them in 1977. Can't go to a Heart concert without hearing "Magic Man".

2004: Van Halen (yeah!! Sammy's back!!!!)--$125.00 for mid range tickets!icon_eek.gif

What has happened? I realize a lot of things change in 25 years, but from $8 to $125??? I guess they know we are big enough dummies to pay. Well, some of us........

Signed,

Big Dummy

I got great seats for Annie Lennox/Sting for $125 similar seats from resellers today are running @ $300+

I've pretty much decided to pay whatever the rate is in order to see some acts like The Stones (who may or may not be around that much longer) so I would say my max would be $250 for kick arse seats in a decent venue. Hell fer a three day event I'd be willing to ante up a grand fer a righteous time icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Herbie,

You BIG spender you!!!

Sting has made quite a name for himself since The Police. Here's a link to an article which states he still makes $2,000 per day on royalties from "Every Breath You Take". Not bad for a rich boy in England.....LOL.

I know what you mean about the Stones. Keith R. has looked dead for the past 10 years. He smokes so much that I don't think he actually needs cigarettes anymore. I wanted to see them last year, but the tickets were wayyyyyyy high.

Van Halen was in Vegas last weekend. I was there and hadn't bought any tickets because I was too damn cheap. It was killin' me to know they were playing, and I wasn't going. Thank God they are coming back to Vegas for another conert. I broke down and paid. It will just be a way of life if you want to go to concerts, huh? Oh well, I love them!! I loved Sammy Hagar, and when he joined Van Halen, I loved him even more. I was heart-broken when Sammy left in 1996. So I don't want to take it for granted that he will be with them forever.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/29/...ain575676.shtml

Keith worries me but then so do most of them old potbellied farts

I saw Willie at the Tabernacle in Atl a few years back fer @ 35$ per and being in an old church lent alot to the atmosphere he came out afterwards and signed autographs by his tour bus, staying till everybody got one.

Dylan plays at the midtown music festival every few years as do such notables as REO Speedwagon, Funkadelic, Steve Miller, Journey and Kansas. For @ 50$ for a weekend pass, gas parking and munchies you can have a great time watching the scenery pass by listening to great tunes.

Saw the Dead 3 weeks ago for $52.50 per ticket (top price). When Paul McCartney was here a year or so ago top tickets were $250 and nose bleed were $130.

My first concert was Frankie Valle and the Four Seasons in April of '67 for $2.50. Saw Alice Cooper at a skating rink for $2.00 in '70. Saw a 12 hour show in Detroit in May of '71 for $5.00 which included Johnny Winter And, Edgar Winter with White Trash, Allman Bros. with everybody still alive, J. Geils Band, Bob Seger, Mitch Ryder, Boz Skaggs, and a few others. Was at closing week of Fillmore West in June/July of '71 (5 shows in 5 nights, each cost $3.50). Thought it was a ripoff to pay $7.00 to see the Who on the Quadrophenia tour (Nov. '73).

I pretty much stopped going to concerts altogether during my TWI years. Wayfernot, I did see the Monsters of Rock tour with Van Halen, Scorpions, etc. in '88 in Detroit. That show cost me $25.00 per ticket. Seeing how much rock and roll is still in demand today makes me glad I went to all the shows I did back in the day, though.

Oh yeah, I saw Jackson Browne two years ago in Indy. Fantastic show. Believe it or not, he warmed up for Tom Petty who put on an electrifying performance. I would be willing to unload and setup the stage for Jackson and then pay top dollar for primo seats. But next time he will have to pay me to sing backup.

quote:
Originally posted by TheManOfa Thousand ScreenNames:

I saw Jackson Browne last year in Detroit. Great show.

There are only a couple of more concerts I would like to see. I want to see Tom Waits (in a small venue) and Jackson Browne on his solo acoustic tour.

I would be willing to go about 150 for Jackson Browne and about a hundred for Tom Waits.

They are way out there now aren't they? I remember back in the early 70's and $10 to $15 was the top ticket price... saw about two shows a week... oh well... then I found "The Way" icon_smile.gif:)-->

I June, I took the boys to see Rush and paid $75 per (these were not the highest priced tickets)... In July, the wife and I paid $250 per for 12th row at Simon and Garfunkel and worth every penny of it... but I'm guessing that's my ceiling, and only for a "once in a lifetime" show... (I'd probably pay that for McCartney if he comes around again)... I'm pretty much concerted out...

quote:
In July, the wife and I paid $250 per for 12th row at Simon and Garfunkel and worth every penny of it...

$250 EACH??? That's a lot of dough there TommyStrange. But if it was worth it, I believe you. I know there are just some things in life we don't want to miss out on and we would be willing to pay through the ear for it. I just know I will NEVER miss anything in life again because of a cult. icon_cool.gif

iloveallaccess.com has a special concert package to go to a party, sound check, back stage, get a ticket in the first 10 rows, a tshirt, a hat, and a few other things for $475. I would LOVE to do this, but I don't have the fundage for it now. It's $100 dollars cheaper on the rest of their tour. Why are they jacking up the price in Vegas????

Scalpers here do us moderate income folks in. That's the only explanation I can find for all 3 S$G concerts here in NJ being sold out 20 min after they were "officially" on sale.

By that time all that was left was $125 for nosebleed seats...litterally the top 10 rows.

I think my concert days are over....cd's for me. (not minding really...._

The problem is because of corporations like Ticketmaster having a monopoly on big venues, as well as a monopoly on deals with major record labels for setting up the concerts.

Personally, I'd rather listen to a small local group that recorded their music in a garage and burned it to a CD on their home PC. It seems like anyone that becomes a musician for the money loses their talent as well as self respect, at least now in the days of Britney Spears and N'Sync.

I agree with Mosh, I dont see many of the 'big acts' anymore. There are some great small venues in my area with plenty of highly talented musicians, who havent felt the need to become corporations, or fall into the thinking that more is better, but still think the music itself is enough.

My money goes these days to musicians who are still musicians and not public relations firms.

Last concert: sat in the 1st row for David Bromberg last week in a club that holds 70 people for $18.00. I was about 5 feet away while he played -gimme that anyday of the week.

I know what you guys are talking about... and believe me, if I could've seen S&G at a small, intimate venue I would have much rather preferred that!

Yeah wayfer! that's each...

Krys, if you want to try to beat the scalpers and re-sellers, subscribe to Ticketmaster's All Access... they send out emails with upcoming events and you also get to take advantage of internet "pre-sales" where you get a chance to buy the tickets a day or two ahead of when they go on sale to the general public...

...if you want to!

I will never, ever complain about the price of tickets to classical music events.

I heard Bach's Mass in B Minor, 2 hours of arguably the finest choral music ever written, in a world-class concert hall performed by a world-class group, in box seats, for $36 a ticket.

Gawddam, you guys like to part with a lot a dough.

Suzie and I saw Boz Scaggs at the pier in Seattle (there couldn't be a better venue) for $28./ea. And a great show, at that.

Normally we see some jazz act at "Dimitrios Jazz Alley", the top Seattle jazz club. Real cozy place where you sit a few feet from the performer and can talk with them after - or even have a drink with them (as I did with Mose Allison). We've seen some great talent there, Ray Brown, Horace Silver, Spiro Gyra, Manhattan Transfer, Ahmad Jamal, Karin Allison, Marian McPartlan, Leo Kottke, and lots of others. We've never paid more than $25. for a seat. And these are actual musicians (as opposed to being overhyped celebes with a guitar pick for a penis).

I'm with mstar on this one. Give me a small venue where you can actually see the performer (and hear them) any day. The "get mashed in the crowd to see the rockstar" days are over for me - longsince...

Oh, but we will be parting with $36/ea. this coming February to see the "Kodo Drummers".

For the uninitiated, this is a group of young Japanese men who dedicate their lives to playing drums for a few years. They live in a commune of sorts, and do nothing but play the drums day in, day out.

In performance they wear nothing but a Sumo-sort of g-string and a headband. And they work themselves half to death by beating those drums with clubs. To say it's an energetic performance would be a ridiculous understatement. I've only seen them on T.V. before, but was seriously impressed. Looking forward to that...

In the past couple of years, Paul Simon (along with Bob Dylan), showed up -- as did Brooks and Dunn, Rod Stewart, James Taylor, Bob Dylan again (by himself), Willie Nelson, and the Eagles. Average price for tickets were in the $75.00 to $125.00 range. Rod was the lowest at $35.00 per ticket. Eagles were highest at $175.00.

I just got back from a 4 day Bluegrass festival, and the ticket for it was $60.00 for all 4 days, and 8 different nationally known (bluegrass) acts were there, and performed at least 2 sets each, as well as doing workshops for any who cared to show up.

I guess I've gotten spoiled by the bluegrass circuit, and the festivals. If you can't meet the performer, have them show you how they do things, hear them tell stories about their life on the road, inter-act with them live (over a beer, or a cup of coffee, or at dinner, or in a jam session), I'm not interested in concerts.

I'd be hard pressed to name an artist that I would actually pay money to go see in just a concert venue (rather than a festival venue), but if such a person/group did come to town, $20.00 would be tops, since I'd have to save some for the CD's that are invariably sold!

I'm willing to pay the "cover charge" to get into a small venue, but the bigger ones (imho) just don't cut it.

We have a friend who gets special seating at one of the larger venues here in Tampa. Along with the seating is a lovely buffet and bar (beer and wine are free). The seats could be better but I never have to worry about not getting tickets for something. The most I have paid for a concert was $185 per ticket for Simon & Garfunkel last year, which included all the nicities. It was worth every penny.

We saw the Dixie Chicks and Springsteen the same way. The tickets weren't as costly, but they were both above $100.

I'm going to try to get tickets for the James Taylor/Dixie Chicks "Concert for Change" in October - but I think they'll be hard to come by.

Oh - the best concert I saw last year cost me $15 per ticket. It was Christine Lavin in the auditorium of an old school building here in town - put on by the university's NPR station. I would have paid more - she was marvelous.

Cowgirl - We saw The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" tour when it passed through here a few years ago. They were amazing.

I'd love to see Bruce Hornsby. He came to town on tour with Bonnie Raitt. I missed it because it was Halloween night and my kids were still small. I wanted to write to them and tell them not to do that again!!!!

MStar - Wow - David Bromberg - haven't heard that name in years. There's a whole folk circuit out there that I know very little about. The only reason I know anything at all is because of my fondness for Christine Lavin's music. She promotes many other folk artists on her site. When Napster was up and running, I used to sample a lot of them. Can't find too much of their stuff in regular stores.

You'd pretty much have to pay me to go to a live concert these days.

The high pathetically high prices that these greedy musicians demand, the large crowds, bad parking, and poor acoustics - it just aint worth it to me. 100 - 300 bucks to see a bunch of old farts performing tunes from the 70's?

The music sounds so much better through a good stereo system in my living room - and the price is right.

For live music, I would much rather go to one of the free concerts in the park,a music festival, or to a small night club. No football staduims and crappy acoustics for me. (UNless Elvis, Hendrix or Joplin made comebacks.)

Hi Hope!

Pssst the folkie stuff is in the Northeast.

David Bromberg was a real treat, great personality, great guitarist, a worthwhile event...

I feel very fortunate to be in the area that I am in -it is very music rich, I moved alot of times looking for the places that I could find the type of music that I really loved but could never really find it until I landed here.

For a small area it is truly amazing. We have a three day

folk festivalevery summer for about $100.00(or free if you volunteer), which is a great way to get exposure to lesser known but high quality artists, a bluegrass festival, a great little club that hosts a lot of people from off the beaten track, Arlo Guthries Church(from the Alices Restaurant Movie)that has folk, acoustic and blues stuff, a world class symphony, our own frikkin opera house, and just about nightly open mikes, all this just about within walking distance in a town of 5000.

You're a natural folkie you should come up to Falconridge next year ---it is great fun