Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy,

Well blow me down! You tried to tell me but would I listen?? redface.gif:o--> But noooo... I had to act like I was the expert or something!! I watched that show a lot and just plain fergot about John Ritter being in it. Live and learn, huh??

sudo

Kathy,

Re:"I just love it when a man admits he's wrong."

I understand. My wife, Carol, loves it too.. because it occurs so rarely!! In fact, I remember the last time I was wrong about something and even then I wasn't ashamed to admit it. It was 1962 and I was in the 5th grade and answered my teacher's question IN ERROR!! The hit song on the radio WASN'T about Russia's Sputnick!

Click HERE! and see why I was wrong and name the song!

sudo

Guys I'm confused. Did a group called The Ventures do a song called Sputnick that wasn't about it? What was it about? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Here's a tiny bit about Sputnik.

quote:
On Oct. 4, 1957, the Space Age officially began when the Soviets lofted a 183-pound shiny sphere from their Baikonur cosmodrome in Central Asia. Sputnik, which took its name from the Russian word for "fellow traveler," went into a 98-minute orbit around Earth — and the Soviets exulted in their success.

The satellite's prime payload was a radio transmitter sending out a harmless beep-beep-beep signal merely to declare its existence. Nevertheless, Sputnik struck fear into the hearts of Cold War Americans, who realized that the Soviets could just as well have lofted a nuclear-tipped missile to North America.

"That event was really a catalyzing event for the American consciousness," says Bill Colglazier, executive officer of the National Academy of Sciences.

From there it gets into what we did and I really can't go into that. I mean that poor dog Laika. icon_frown.gif:(-->

I dug that telstar song as a kid, and really enjoyed hearing it again.

Speaking of Sputnik, here's a story that has meaning for me, that I didn't find out about until I read Stephen King's 'Danse Macabre' in 1985.

Turns out King lived in my hometown of Stratford, Connecticut as a youth before he moved to, and settled into, Maine. In .Danse macabre', which is a book where he talks about the horror genre, and his own life, he tells stories of his childhood in Startford, referring to several places I hautned myself, tho he is 5 years older than me.

One of the places is the Stratford movie theater, an even then, cheesy little theater that literally had seats in the refreshment area, and that was usually where I ent for Saturday matinee type stuff.

King was there in 1957, watching "Earth vs the Flying Saucers", which was an apt title, as it featured flying saucers blowing up Washington DC, etc. Suddenly the movie stopped, the lights went up, and the manager came out front to tell the audience of mostly kids, that Russia had just launched Sputnik.

That this guy would find it important enough to stop the movie to tell this to a crowd of kids, tells alot about the fear that sputnik put into this country. The Ruskies had the edge in conquering space, they;ll be blowing up washington themselves soon.

I'll refrain from making any political comments about what really has happened, but it certainly had an impact on little Stevie King.

When I read King's 'Hearts in Atlantis' a few years ago, it was fun to find he sets the book in Straford , Connecticut, tho he gives the town another name. All the descriptions, and there are many, of the town and it's places, mirror the Stratford he grew up in.

I know that is no interest to anyone really, but it is to me.

Question/Comment to hopefully not distract ya'll from your appointed course.

Books set in New England are just better aren't they?

The fog,the water, the interesting people..... whatever, it's better.

Headed to my grand baby's house to hang out with her while her parents are involved in friends wedding all weekend. See ya monday. Well, probably won't, actually, 'cuz I only lurk in your thread here. I'll see you but you won't see me.

wave.gif:wave:-->

Shell,

Have a bucket full of fun. Hmmm, that can't be correct can it? icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

I love New England. And King certainly stayed there in his stories didn't he? I'm not a real fan of his but I do recognize his brilliance.

You made me smile, I was just fixin to get ready for work and there you were.

See ya girl! icon_smile.gif:)--> wave.gif:wave:-->

quote:
If I remember correctly, "Telstar" is often referred to as the beginning of the "British Invasion." Wasn't it the first British pop hit to make #1 in the States? (This is two years pre-Beatles.)

The Ventures are all Americans, the top instrumental rock group of all time.