The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Peanut is the expected first guess, but is wrong. The thought of Edgar Bergan with a giant peanut on his lap is disturbing.

Maybe this character has faded into obscurity. He was the symbol of a popular men's magazine of the day. The magazine is still around and they still trot out the icon now and then, tho I know of noone who buys it anymore. He was so well known at the time tho, that Bergen wanted to oust Charlie, and make a dummy out of it. When he couldn't get the rights, he figured that they didn't own the rights to a top hat or monocle, so he just stuck them on Charlie.

nope-not the New Yorker-but another good guess, since they do have that foppish character with the monocle and top hat.Geez-monocles and top hats were all the rage back then, as a symbol of wealth and status.

The New Yorker still is relevant as a magazine too.

This character always reminded me of the guy on the Monopoly game-like i said, he may be TOO obscure by now.

"The manof a thousand screen names" is correct. There is a website that features every cover, going back to 1933-if you start back then, you will find the character cover featured often-tho he didn't always wear the top hat and monocle. It's an interesting study on how a character can go from a cover featured icon to total obscurity. At least it's interesting to me. Kind of like if they took Alfred E Neuman off of Mad magazine.

OK-here's the answer. Esquire Magazine has a dirty old man character named Esky. Well, he's not really dirty. He looks alot like the old man in the monopoly game, kind of.Back in the 30's , he was on almost every cover, but has since disappeared.

TV Land is doing a special tribute tomorrow to the late Howard Morris, who created one of the greatest characters in television history: Ernest T. Bass.

Ernest T. only appeared in five episodes of "The Andy Griffith Show" but they were some of best ever on the show.

TV Land is going to show all five back to back

Mountain Wedding

"I'm kinda mean, but I make up for it by bein' real healthy."

Ernest T. Bass Joins the Army

"The only thing standing twixt me and sweet romance is a u-nee-form."

My Fair Ernest T. Bass

"How do you do, Mrs. Wi-ley?"

The Education of Ernest T. Bass

"I want to do my sen-tence!"

Malcolm at the Crossroads

"Wrong or right, I'm here to fight."

Howard Morris died Saturday at the age of 85.

morris_image.gif

"It's me, it's me, it's Ernest T."

Edited by Pirate1974

Howard Morris will forever be remembered for Ernest T. Bass. That's only part of his resume tho. He played character parts of all kinds on almost any 60's show you can think of. He directed many sitcoms, including episodes of Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, Get Smart, Bewitched, and many others.

In short, if you were watching TV in the 60's, Howard Morris was providing alot of the entertainment.

He also was a regular on the Sid Ceaser show in the 50's, and did many cartoon voices.

Pirate,

Thanks for the 'heads up' as I was able to catch two episodes last night. And guys... Rick is right... the tune I posted was the theme to The Life And Times Of Grizzly Adams. Seems to me it was around that time that Hamm's beer came out with that bear commercial, too. Anyone remember that one??

sudo

Possibly all you men know this recipe but it's a first for me. It began with my hubby and a neighbor repairing a mowing tractor for the one. I only mention that because as a woman I fail to understand how they jumped to talking about cooking a chicken.

And it ended with what I just witnessed my hubby doing in the kitchen. Apparently you get a large chicken (I've seen smaller turkeys) and some type of short neck bottle beer. You rub seasonings into the chicken then you stick this bottle of beer....well where the sun don't shine and stick it on the grill and cook it for an hour or so. But to see this preparation which ended with this headless chicken sitting on a bottle of beer....well lets say I'm glad I have no small children around. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Just in case it's important the beer he used was a Jamaican beer called Red Stripe.

Thanks....Marvin the Martian. Didn't he stand on top of a planet and have a real funky voice?

As it was explained to me the beer in the bottle will boil forcing some of it boil out into the chicken. Adding moisture and flavor which it really did, it was delicious and I don't like beer except to boil brats in before you grill them. Also I guess the boiling beer adds heat and helps cook the chicken from the inside out while the grilling is cooking it from the outside in. The left over chicken (remember this thing was bigger than some turkeys) I cut up and made into chicken salad.

But the vision of that thing sitting on that bottle with no dadgum head.....hahahahahaha.

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Pirate,

Thanks for the 'heads up' as I was able to catch two episodes last night. And guys... Rick is right... the tune I posted was the theme to The Life And Times Of Grizzly Adams. Seems to me it was around that time that Hamm's beer came out with that bear commercial, too. Anyone remember that one??

sudo

Sudo, you probaly have to live in the Midwest to remember Hamm's beer. Of course, with Hamm's commercials appearing every inning of Cubs games, it's hard to forget "From the land of sky blue wa-a-ters..." even after thirty years. Most of the commercials had a guy sketching the bear on a cocktail napkin, the sketch becoming a live cartoon involving the cap from a a Hamm's bottle. icon_cool.gif

George

ChattyKathy, you're right. this is a fun thread, though i doubt I'll pick up the 34 pages I've missed!