GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Kathy,

Re:"I'm stumped! I know Rick's I think."

Then that means you have to take a guess. Simon says. Rules are rules. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->. I forgot that only one other person had guessed Rick's. I think the guy who went nuts in that movie acted kinda' strangely as well as a TV detective.

Hiway29.. I KNOW you've seen the movie I keep harping on and giving hints for. I've got something a little different 'fer 'ya... A karaoke version of the theme song!! When I play it I can sing the heck outa' the song but if I didn't know what song it was, I'm not sure I would be able to tell.. just from the music. So.. click on the pic and see if it helps..

apic.gif

sudo

You need to come take a taxi, "old chum".

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's what I get for paying attention!

So hiway29, would you be offended if I were to ask you some questions about Kim Possible?

My kids completely love that show!

Do you concentrate on backgrounds? Ron Stoppable? the naked mole rat? the villains?

It's a team effort, right? How do you divide up the work?

Do you pattern mouth movements according to the voice actors? or do they make their words match the mouth movements that you've already drawn?

Forgive me if I'm being nosy, the subject just fascinates me. And Cindy!'s and my kids are psyched that we have a connection with an animator on Kim Possible.

Happy to answer your questions, Steve, tho it's not exactly on topic with this board.

My main role on Kim Possible, was layout artist, background designer, tho I also did storyboard and character design in a pinch.

Most studio animation is indeed a team effort, with perhaps too much specialization.A typical crew for a show like Kim Possible would consist of a director, character, background and 'prop' designer, several storyboard artists, and 2 painters-one to paint backgrounds, and the other to paint characters and props (cars,moving objects).

Most of the work done in the states is considered 'pre production'. We design the show down to the last detail and storyboard it. The whole package gets sent overseas to japan, Korea, or anywhere where they can pay low wages and exploit people to animate it.

They would love to do the whole thing over there if they could, but that has never worked. Fortunately, the creative process still needs to be done here at home.

One of the earliest steps after the script is approved is the voice actors record it. There are mouth charts for all the characters that are used when it's finally animated and they are animated according to the mouth chart. A notable exception in animation history was the old Popeye cartoons from the 30's , where the process was reversed and the voice actors recorded to the finished cartoon. That's why you had those great Popeye cartoons with the characters ab libbing and muttering under there breath. They played off the finished cartoon.

In a nutshell-we receive a script after it's approved, and design the visuals first. In the case of Kim Possible, that would include new characters, villains etc, and new locations,villain lairs, african jungles, etc. That all goes to the storyboard artist who works off of the script and designs. The whole mess is approved by the director, and it somehow all comes together.

Hope that answers your questions. Gotta get back to the mountains of Peru here.

Is it nostalgia?? I think so because in all the movies and TV shows... this was the ubiquitous theme for a college, was it not? Here's the college's OWN band playing the theme. It's a great alma mater. Arguably one of the best in the nation. It's a great college with a superior reputation for academics. Engineering.. physics... probably lots of other stuff too but... I don't think they're reknown for their music dept.

Folks, I went through college on a band scholarship so I knows a little about college bands and can tell you.. this one's pretty bad. My neice and nephew's high school band in Olive Branch, Ms. sounds better. Really. Be that as it may.. click HERE! and name the Ivy League university.

sudo (If they could just remove the clarinets)

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Is it nostalgia?? I think so because in all the movies and TV shows... this was the ubiquitous theme for a college, was it not? Here's the college's OWN band playing the theme. It's a great alma mater. Arguably one of the best in the nation. It's a great college with a superior reputation for academics. Engineering.. physics... probably lots of other stuff too but... I don't think they're reknown for their music dept.

Folks, I went through college on a band scholarship so I knows a little about college bands and can tell you.. this one's pretty bad. My neice and nephew's high school band in Olive Branch, Ms. sounds better. Really. Be that as it may.. click (removed) and name the Ivy League university.

sudo (If they could just remove the clarinets)

I'm not an expert but they didn't do anything for me Sudo. icon_frown.gif:(-->

And I agree with geo on that little doggie, what a cute little bugger. icon_smile.gif:)-->

It finally has dawned on me that those are pics of Sudo and his family. Boy, do I feel stupid.

I don't know the college, but I sure know that song. It WAS used all the time as the 'college' theme. Maybe it was the crashing cymbals that kept driving the answer out of my head. Reminded me of the recording of the Star Spangled Banner we had to listen to every day in high school. I dreaded those overwhelming cymbals every morning.

Geo,

Thank you muchly. Yes.. we indeed got ourselves a brand new puppy dog 'Laddie' nearly three weeks ago now and are in love with him. He's a Scottie. A Scottish Terrier, and he's taken to us as well. Most Scotties are black (like FDR's Fala) but our Laddie is a Wheaten Scottie. This was the original Scottie, white to blond on the top, but are rarer today.

Laddie will grow to only about 16lbs as he was the runt of the litter and we didn't want a large dog. A lady who works for me raises Scotties and told us about her puppies. We went over to her house to take a look and the whole family fell in love with this particular puppy... Laddie.

Hiway29.. you just haven't been hanging around the Nostalgia thread long enough to know when I'm pulling a fast one. You also had never seen pics of me and my family so don't feel dumb, man. I was just being cute. OK.. the name of the movie IS..... Laddie Come Home. Ka-ching!!

Guess I need to post another theme, huh? Nobody's getting the college theme one (HERE!) though I have another hint... the college sits far above one of the finger lakes.. Cayuga lake. Boy.. that band REALLY sucks though, doesn't it??

sudo

Rick has another message. He was working on getting caught up after finally having a moment to deal with getting a new monitor. Thanks to the wonderful efforts of wasway. When a bad storm blew out his DSL modem. That same storm is over top of me so I'm closing her down.

And just so you know I really am blonde at times I called him yesterday and left a message for him at lunch. Not a call back thing just a message. So he calls me back at work and starts going "so..." and I responded don't you listen to your messages. To which he replied "well you left it on my computer message thingee (I forgot what he said) and I don't have a monitor right now so I can't read it. Duh I think. Then he said "so I know you aren't blonde so....". icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Bye y'all, have a good night.

Well, I hope this actually goes through. I got a new dsl modem, but my connection speed is now like 13k...REALLY sucky! This is the first time GS has come up all day...just kept timeing out. NOW, I have to wait till next week for an SBC tech to come and check out my lines! Thank God I'm working out at customers locations the next few days!

Well, I'll be back to play again when SBC get's thier **** together!

Rick

Sharon, your little dude makes mine look funny. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick, your having way too much fun you know that don't you! banghead.gif

Pawnbroker, I see you logged in. Which means on the main screen if you look down at the bottom it tells you how many folks are logged in and shows the ones that have not opted to be hidden. Glad to see you around. wave.gif:wave:-->

See y'all later.

Pirate,

And you would be right! Click HERE! to listen to the song while following the lyrics below:

Alma Mater (Cornell)

FAR ABOVE CAYUGA'S WATERS

Far above Cayuga's waters

With it's waves of blue

Stands our noble alma mater

Glorious to view

Lift the chorus, speed it onward

Loud her praises tell

Hail to thee, our alma Mater

Hail, all hail, Cornell

Far above the busy humming

Of the bustling town

Reared against the arch of heaven

Looks she proudly down.

Hi Pawnbroker!! With that little kind of post, it looks like you'll fit right in here! Welcome, guy! Yeah.. I think I know the movie, too. What it took me a while to figure out when I watched it was whether the lady was going mad or the husband was responsible. Am I right???

sudo

P.S. Kathy.. we seem to have similar tastes so here's one I like a lot. Its from the black musical Purlie. An old ne'er-do-well has died and the congregation is trying to pray him (or Walk Him Up) to Heaven. It doesn't really start rocking until a minute and a half into it, though... click HERE!

Sudo, that's a great song. Thank you for the treat. When I was very young there was this store front southern gospel church. I use to think it mustn't really be a church though because they were always singing and animated and that just wasn't what I'd seen in church. I still remember the choir bellowing out of the crowded front door as my family passed by. I loved the sound then and these songs you brought us reminded me of those sweet days. Thanks Sudo. icon_smile.gif:)-->

And hope y'all are all doing well.

Kathy,

Thank you! I thought you might like that selection from Purlie (HERE!). Do you have good speakers on your computer? These good songs I'm not converting, but if your speakers aren't so hot.. it doesn't make a lot of difference, really. I bought a $100 Creative Labs speaker system on-line that's great. Has a really good sub-woofer that BOOMS!~~

That picture you posted didn't have me scratching my head for long as we're usually on the same wavelenght. Yes, it's a hinge but it looks like wings, too. Angel wings. You had to have been thinking of Shelley Fabares' big hit of 1962, Johnny Angel. I remember the teenage girls playing that one over and over on the juke box at Rainbow skating rink on Lamar.

Before you go getting all disappointed, click HERE! and listen to a little snippet I have just for you. I, of course, have the entire MP3. icon_cool.gif

sudo (wondering if we'll see Rick this weekend)

Oh yeah, while listening to your selection from Purlie again. icon_smile.gif:)-->

In answer to your question about speakers I have an awesome set of speakers for my pc but I use my laptop 95% of the time which has laptop speakers. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

And I doubt you'll see Rick this weekend, but he could pop up from somewhere just to call me on my prediction. nono5.gif

Okay back to things around the house, see ya later.

This was playing while I was doing things around the house. I love her version of the song. But am making no mention of the song subject matter.

Here's a verse.

So I chose freedom

Running around, trying everything new

But nothing impressed me at all

I never expected it to

hokey smokes Bullwinkle! I wouldn't have figured that hinge to represent angel wings in a gazillion years! I figured those screws HAD to have something to do with it.

I enjoyed the second song snippet there, Sudo. Brought me back to the first time I heard it. A friend had converting a room in his basement into a 'head' experience, with aluminum foil covering the walls and ceiling, some black light posters and a strobe light.

It was also one of the first times I got 'turned on', and sat like a zombie while that song played and the strobe light turned my brain to mush.

Yeah, that was healthy for a 15 year old kid. Gotta admit I get sentimental about those days though.