GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Hey guys...

It's been a fun weekend around here for a change hasn't it?? I appreciate the compliments Kathy but I'm not really a sensitive 90's kind of guy icon_cool.gif. OK, I can cry during scenes at movies (I really turn on the faucet when dogs are involved) but I don't care for most "chick flicks".

Was Driving Miss Daisey a chick flick? If so I liked THAT one but the ones my wife likes?? Fried Green Tomatoes?? When Harry Met Sally? Steel Magnolias? Nope!~ Not my cup of tea. I got roped into watching The Notebook with her a while back on video and boy was THAT a bummer of a movie. When all is said and done, Kathy you have to remember one thing... men really are from Mars!! Hee-hee!

Okay I will keep that in mind when interacting with any of you men folk. And I loved Driving Miss Daisy. I must rent that movie next. I do so love seeing these oldies. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I understand on the chick flick thing, hubby would agree with you. In fact before I could even put on Anastasia yesterday I had to let him watch the tale end of Predator. Mind you he didn't even know it was on before I turned on the TV but oh "wait-wait this is where I left off yesterday." icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

We have no hard and fast rules here and going on tangents can be fun. For practice shall we try to do things the way Kathy spelled out for us on this next one? I know some TV shows and movies are tough to answer in a cryptic manner without giving the whole thing away. But this next one was such a fun movie!

Oh don't go telling me I made a new rule man! icon_razz.gif:P-->

I don't know that its old enough to qualify for nostalgia but we bought the video when it came out and for awhile it was my kids favorite movie to watch. Those memories qualify it for me angelkit.gif Click (removed) and even if you don't know it.. its fun music, no??

As soon as I saw sharon's excellent clue I knew it before I even listened to the music. Great fun in a movie without question!

sudo

P.S. I can't understand a word in Shakespear movies either, Hiway29!! I have to have ENGLISH sub-titles!!

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sharon, I reckon some may say it's a chick flick but I think men would enjoy it as well. After all with him as lead and the subject matter I just can't imagine it not being interesting to a man. Oh who am I fooling they are just different creatures aren't they? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But wowsie on that ending. I mean did it just take your breath away?

Hey Kathy! And Everbody Else!

Have you ever seen "A Walk In The Clouds" with Keanu Reeves? One of my all time favorites, and if you have not, then, you must!

Or how about "Rob Roy" with Liam Neeson and, oh, now I can't remember her name! A blond chick who lives down in Virginia. She only plays quality rolls though. Anyhoo, although Rob Roy has lots of great violence (Scottish Highlander broad sword fighting as well as fencing), it is also an incredible story about a man and his wife and their love for each other. But the over all greatest principle highlighted in the movie is that of Honor.

One of the last lines in the movie is perhaps one of my favorite quotes of all time. To be said with a Scottish accent:

"Honor. It's somethin' no man can give ye. But it's also somethin' no man can take away ..."

-Robert Roy MacGregor

Hi Jonny! Nice to see ya here on the nostalgia thread!

Rob Roy was a pretty good flick. I've only seen it once a long time ago...will have to add it to my dvd collection.

I haven't seen A Walk In The Couds, but I'm not a big Kenau Reeves fan. I've really only seen him in the Matrix movies. Liked the first one, but the second one was so bad I didn't bother with the third one.

Rick

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Lingo:

Hey Kathy! And Everbody Else!

Have you ever seen "A Walk In The Clouds" with Keanu Reeves? One of my all time favorites, and if you have not, then, you must!

I haven't seen it but will make a point of doing so. Like Rick I'm not a fan of his. And I only liked the first Matrix and again like Rick the second one was SO BAD I had no interest in the third.

Or how about "Rob Roy" with Liam Neeson and, oh, now I can't remember her name! A blond chick who lives down in Virginia. She only plays quality rolls though. Anyhoo, although Rob Roy has lots of great violence (Scottish Highlander broad sword fighting as well as fencing), it is also an incredible story about a man and his wife and their love for each other. But the over all greatest principle highlighted in the movie is that of Honor.

Actually only half paid attention when hubby was watching it once. There was a scene with his wife that affected my desire to continue. I never gave it a chance.

One of the last lines in the movie is perhaps one of my favorite quotes of all time. To be said with a Scottish accent:

"Honor. It's somethin' no man can give ye. But it's also somethin' no man can take away ..."

-Robert Roy MacGregor

After reading that line I'll give it another try.

It's good to see you here. Come back and play. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Jonny,

Re:"Have you ever seen "A Walk In The Clouds" with Keanu Reeves? One of my all time favorites, and if you have not, then, you must!"

I agree completely! That's a really nice feel-good movie and one I can watch over and over. I think I've seen it three times now. You know.. I tell people about this movie and how they need to go rent it but you know what?? Nobody ever does!! Now I've got YOU for backup on this. Anthony Quinn was in this and he was such a professional at his craft..

Good to see you "down here" on the Nostalgia thread, Jonny. You got any preferences on TV shows and/or movies?? 60's? 70's??

sudo

Hey there Sudo, and thanks for the warm reception. Ya know, I've never been "down here" until this morning, but I think I like it! Hangin out with all the pretty girls like ChattyKathy I see.. wink2.gif;)-->

And yeah, A Walk In The Clouds really was quite nice. And also, I am not really a fan of Keanu Reeves either ChattyKath, but I make an exception for him in this one. He was really good in it. I for one didn't really care for The Matrix at all. "Point Break" was pretty good though...

And like Sudo says, Anthony Quinn played his role to perfection. In fact, Sudo, I think that this movie with Reeves is a re-make, and that the original starred none other than Anthony Quinn!

But I've never seen it...Probably a great one though...

And as far as "Rob Roy" goes...Yeah Kath, I know the scene you are talking about, and it was rough. All I can say is that the ending makes up for it entirely. Awesome ending..

And so Sudo, geez, tv that I like? Hmm..I don't watch any sitcoms, and tend to shun them. I did get into the Sopranos for awhile, when we had all of the first two or three seasons on DVD's. But since we don't have HBO, we just don't watch it. Right now, my wife ahs borrowed the first three seasons of "24" which has been fun, but also "kinda dreadful" with all of the "plausible" terrorism plots. Kinda scary because it is so plausible. Or so it seems.

As for old shows, do you know what I saw the other day? I laughed myself to tears! It was an episode of the old Dick Van Dyke Show. OMG it was too funny. It was the one where Rob Petrie dreamed that his wife Laura was really an "alien" from the planet "Twylo". And Laura had eyes in the back of her head, and there were always walnuts around the house signifying the presence of a "Twylo Alien". Rob would find these walnuts and wonder...And his expressions were so funny and classic. What an actor he was/is. I hadn't seen that one for ever, and it was a major stitch..

My kids liked it too. Life is grand, eh?

P.S.

A few years ago, none other than Rob "Pitter Patter" Petrie, Dick Van Dyke, showed up in our tiny town of Haines Alaska, on a privately chartered "mini" cruise ship. He was very nice and was all around town asking the locals questions, and being his funny self, making people laugh and such. Unfortunately I was away at sea and missed the fun. But My daughter and my wife met him and they said he was kind and charming. That was really nice for me to learn about an actor who made me laugh way back when I was but a "tadpole....."

quote:
Or how about "Rob Roy" with Liam Neeson and, oh, now I can't remember her name! A blond chick who lives down in Virginia. She only plays quality rolls though.

That's Jessica Lange, but I didn't know she ever lived in Virginia. I thought she lived in Minnesota.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Lingo:

Hey there Sudo, and thanks for the warm reception. Ya know, I've never been "down here" until this morning, but I think I like it! Hangin out with all the pretty girls like ChattyKathy I see.. wink2.gif;)-->

redface.gif:o-->

And yeah, A Walk In The Clouds really was quite nice. And also, I am not really a fan of Keanu Reeves either ChattyKath, but I make an exception for him in this one. He was really good in it. I for one didn't really care for The Matrix at all. "Point Break" was pretty good though...

Point Break is another I've not seen. I better start a list.

And as far as "Rob Roy" goes...Yeah Kath, I know the scene you are talking about, and it was rough. All I can say is that the ending makes up for it entirely. Awesome ending..

Well I've grown since last I saw it, maybe it will be different (that scene).

A few years ago, none other than Rob "Pitter Patter" Petrie, Dick Van Dyke, showed up in our tiny town of Haines Alaska, on a privately chartered "mini" cruise ship. He was very nice and was all around town asking the locals questions, and being his funny self, making people laugh and such. Unfortunately I was away at sea and missed the fun. But My daughter and my wife met him and they said he was kind and charming. That was really nice for me to learn about an actor who made me laugh way back when I was but a "tadpole....."

I like Dick Van Dyke. I loved that show. One of the best episodes for me was when they thought the hospital had mixed up their baby with another one until they met the couple they thought their baby was mixed up with. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

You were a tadpole? icon_eek.gif

Anybody for a round of "Name that Sponsor"?

Here's some (rather easy) slogans from the not too distant pass. Can you name the company? (no fair googling)

1. "Ask the man who owns one."

2. "Be careful what you eat." (bonus points for telling who said it)

3. "Better living through chemistry." (No, that wasn't Timothy Leary)

4. "Not a cough in a carload." (No kidding, they really said that)