Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good morning Kathy

Yes I will be in chat, hanging out on the edges of what's going on. Got two finals I'm building and a Science Fair happening at K's school next week that I'm attempting to pull off.

So, I'll be there.

Sort of

Somewhat

Partly

Kinda

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Kathy, you just hinted at a dozen topics that are near and dear to me. I hardly know where to begin, so I'll just respond to a couple statements.

It actually took a while for Kirk to become a 'space ho'. The first year or so of Star trek, he was more married to the 'ship', which was eventually hardly the case. It's no accident that the best Trek episodes are from the first and some of the second season. 3rd season Star Trek is a joke.

I'd welcome any discussion on any of those other shows you mentioned, but will keep my yap shut for now.

I 've found the 'beach movies' to be guilty pleasures. There was an energy and an appeal to those Frankie and Annette movies, that sucked me in. American International was a low budget studio, that produced big entertainment.

The Beatles were not comfortable with the 'butcher' cover. I'm not sure who's idea it was, but I've read in a few places that they reluctantly went along with it, and did not 'get into' the concept. I think it shows on their faces, or maybe I'm reading into it too much.

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

And I agree with you on the Star Trek beginnings not being all lovey dovey with Kirk. But to be honest he way over dramatizes. I mean I loved the show and the adventures and yada yada but the guy is way over the top. Dang but if that isn't a tad *itchy on my part. nono5.gif

Well moving right along here. banghead.gifangelkit.gifwink2.gif;)-->

Perry Mason was great. His presence in the court room just took over the scene. And I guess we've talked about The Twilight Zone in Nostalgia 1 (God rest it's soul). Between that, Mission Impossible and the beach movies thrown in, well heck you were good to go! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Okay, so like why am I here posting on a work morning? Well the FBI assignment I was on went on temporary hiatus and I had some paid time and took it so I could better enjoy my first ever bronchial infection (getting old sucks the big one). Next week on another temporary gig till the FBI thing starts back up again, if things go as planned.

Well now that I've just gone on and on let me go do something somewhere, I just know I have loads of something's to attend to. icon_smile.gif:)-->

well, of course Shatner overacts-he wouldn't be Shatner if he didn't

I do think he turned n some remarkable performances tho-as well as some laughingly awful ones. When I have time, I'll opine on specific episodes.

Besides, he just made the understated Mr Spock that much more appealing, especially to you ladies who dreamed of bringing out the suppressed emotions in him.

While I thought the butcher cover was tasteless, they were still dolls. I felt the babies being killed in Viet Nam much more tasteless, as this was around the time of the famous photo of the viet girl crying after being napalmed.

I also 'got it' that Lennon wasn't saying he was better than Jesus Christ. He spoke candidly about the effect of their popularity and frankly he was right in that every kid my age was much more involved with the beatles than with going to church. It was a dumb thing for him to say, but just like today, the right wing zealots went ballistic and turned a sound bite into a cause.One can only imagine the party Limbaugh, Hannity, Fox News, and Tom DeLay would have with that.

Kathy,

When I first glanced at the pic of Annette and Frankie you posted, I thought it was Jethro Bodine in the family jalopy. Hee-hee! My take on those Beach movies is that they seemed more a part of the 50's than the 60's. That's because the 60's didn't really start until the Beatles "invaded" Feb. 1964, IMO.

Here's an oldie that was all the rage.. click HERE!

sudo

P.S. Hiway29, we DO try to keep politics at a minimum here, 'ya know. Makes too many people crazy confused.gif.

ok sudo-I'll shut up. I got caught up in the memory of the hysteria over the Lennon comment, and realized nothing has changed.

The beach movies bridged the gap between the 50's and 60's. They certainly had a 50's sensibility, but a 60's look with the bikinis, and frenetic pacing.

The 'plot' of 'Bikini Beach' featured a rock singer called the 'potato bug', who was Frankie Avalon in a Beatle wig and awful english accent.

The beach movie franchise was pretty limp by '66, and had no place in the 'hippie, drug induced 60's we all know and love.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

well, of course Shatner overacts-he wouldn't be Shatner if he didn't

I do think he turned n some remarkable performances tho-as well as some laughingly awful ones. When I have time, I'll opine on specific episodes.

Besides, he just made the understated Mr Spock that much more appealing, especially to you ladies who dreamed of bringing out the suppressed emotions in him.

Well, I was going to leave that alone, but Spock did have it going you know. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

While I thought the butcher cover was tasteless, they were still dolls. I felt the babies being killed in Viet Nam much more tasteless, as this was around the time of the famous photo of the viet girl crying after being napalmed.

Granted there was no comparison but two wrongs still don't make a right. OMG I sound like my mother. icon_eek.gif

I also 'got it' that Lennon wasn't saying he was better than Jesus Christ. He spoke candidly about the effect of their popularity and frankly he was right in that every kid my age was much more involved with the beatles than with going to church. It was a dumb thing for him to say, but just like today,

Lennon was more right than wrong. But like anyone in the limelight a sound bite can haunt you till you die.

..the right wing zealots went ballistic and turned a sound bite into a cause. One can only imagine the party Limbaugh, Hannity, Fox News, and Tom DeLay would have with that.

So since I am a right winger more than anything else does that mean I have to smack you now? wink2.gif;)-->

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Kathy,

When I first glanced at the pic of Annette and Frankie you posted, I thought it was Jethro Bodine in the family jalopy. Hee-hee! My take on those Beach movies is that they seemed more a part of the 50's than the 60's. That's because the 60's didn't really start until the Beatles "invaded" Feb. 1964, IMO.

Jethro Bodine...lmao! I mean you could put a bag over his head and all but dang if he spoke he'd ruin the moment for sure. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Thanks for the kewl song, that's an oldie and goodie.

So Sudo, you being a romantic and all, was there a special song you and your sweetie had?

sudo

P.S. Hiway29, we DO try to keep politics at a minimum here, 'ya know. Makes too many people crazy confused.gif

hiway29 I think he's talking about me. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Kathy,

Re:"So Sudo, you being a romantic and all, was there a special song you and your sweetie had?"

Well, yes there is though I've never mentioned it here, I don't think. You've gotten to know me, Kathy, because I am a real sentimentalist. The best things in life are family and friends and all that keeps that in remembrance, IMO.

Though it was a hit song long before we started dating, it was the song being played the first time Carol and I slow danced together. It's been "our" song ever since. Click HERE! for the good MP3. Which reminds me..

Sharon, are you still here?? Do you have broadband?? Anybody out there trying to click on that link and it's taking forever because you have a dial-up internet connection?? Ya'll can click HERE! to listen. I've gotten kinda' lazy on that as of late but I think the regular Nostalgics all have broadband.. right?? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

sudo

Rick,

Re:"Oh I see how you are! Everyone waits till I'm not around to have a conversation!"

Good to have you back 'ole chum. We've been missing you but your being gone can be a good thing... business must be good for you!!

sudo

quote:

Kathy,

Re:"So Sudo, you being a romantic and all, was there a special song you and your sweetie had?"

Well, yes there is though I've never mentioned it here, I don't think. You've gotten to know me, Kathy, because I am a real sentimentalist. The best things in life are family and friends and all that keeps that in remembrance, IMO.

Though it was a hit song long before we started dating, it was the song being played the first time Carol and I slow danced together. It's been "our" song ever since. (link removed)

sudo

Is that Mel Carter doing Hold me Thrill me Kiss me? What a beautiful song. How romantic and you aren't embarrassed to show it. How nice for Carol. icon_smile.gif:)-->

And you can have my share of playing with that server, I really don't know if I want to. I mean Rick says these things like SOMEHOW I'm suppose to know what the heck he is saying. And so I say uh huh a lot but he knows I haven't a clue! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

No disrespect for your server wasway. I'm sure it is very nice and all that. icon_eek.gifwink2.gif;)-->

quote:

Rick,

Are you going to give us passwords and let us play with it some?? Hmmm?? Pretty please???

sudo (loves puppies and gadgets)

Hee hee! Much as I'd like to, this client is bound by Hipaa rules. And behind a killer hardware firewall that I set up for them. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

quote:
Originally posted by Bluzeman:

quote:

Rick,

Are you going to give us passwords and let us play with it some?? Hmmm?? Pretty please???

sudo (loves puppies and gadgets)

Hee hee! Much as I'd like to, this client is bound by Hipaa rules. And behind a killer hardware firewall that I set up for them. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

Sudo, case in point! He wasn't even talking about our using this server, see what I mean. Maybe I oughta listen more closely....lmao! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Kathy,

You got it! That's Mel Carter, a one hit wonder. Didja' see that Rick also has some memories that go along with that song?? I suspect a LOT of us old coots do too.

The thing about a new server is that it's a new toy first and foremost. Oh, I'm sure Rick and Wasway see it as bidness first but even THEY like taking it out for a test drive I suspect love3.gif. Men have certain issues, Kathy. We're concerned with our size and our speed. The bigger the better. The faster the better. Whether we're over-hormoned teenage boys with souped up cars or middle-aged old men with computers, it doesn't change.

Who's got the biggest engine or hard drive?? What can it do in the ¼ mile or its upstream modem test? Who's got the most under the hood or on the motherboard? Are those overhead cams or SATA hard drives?? But there's a practical side, too. They're fun!! Did I mention they were also toys??

Most internet service providers (ISP's) give you only a measelly 5 meg worth of "homepage" space on their servers. Rick, has generously offered us gigs as long as we don't abuse it. Gigs!! You know that Mel Carter song I just posted? That song alone was 2.3 meg. Nearly HALF of what my Road Runner account gives me. I uploaded it to Rick's server instead and don't have to worry about space. I can post all the songs I want. Thanks to Rick.

And weren't we talking about speed? His server is fast. Very fast. T1 to T3 kind of fast. I know that might not mean much to you, Kathy but it means it can send the music files to you faster than you can play them. My other server (Lroom.org) has only a DSL connection and can't dish 'em up fast enough.

But I drone on and on. But just remember this.. it's really not that tough to learn how to upload to servers and then link to them in posts here. You're already linking to pics all the time. It's really the same thing with different commands. The HARD part is finding the stuff to link to. It's getting tougher and tougher to find good tunes on the internet. mad.gif

sudo

quote:
Originally posted by Bluzeman:

Oh, just thought I'd mention, I'm setting up a new server tommorrow that wasway built. He'll be delivering it early in the A.M.

Rick

Thanks for the words Rick..

This one isn't just a server..Ths thing is a real overkill beastmaster..I have been workin on it nights for a full week... twin 3.0 gig Xeon processors 2Gigs of ECC DDR registered memory 200 g-bytes of hard drive all the bells and whistles that you could ask for. This machine answers the question "Where's the beef." I am going to take a few pics of it when we get it set up tomorrow... do I sound like a kid with a new toy?? confused.gif I don't wanna let it go.... oh well