GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

quote:
Originally posted by Sudo:

Everyone cheats on this thread. Well, maybe not everyone. But Bluzeman does. I caught him once. And Pirate?? Why do you think they call him 'Pirate'?? Hmmm??? I just KNOW the guy cheats!! And Wasway?? The guy's an ex-cult member, dude!! Need I say more?? Now Kathy is probably as pure as the driven snow but... she's the exception.

sudo

Wait! I can't talk about songs or themes or especially google thingies! How many times in a lifetime do you hear something like that said about you? Well my goodness Mr. Sudo all in one paragraph you got Rick replying to you and you saying something dadgum beautiful about me. Gosh wish it were so my friend! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Okay so I have to go finish dinner, cant stay but actually I want to...what is that word anyway...well, I want to enjoy this moment of exception. redface.gif:o-->

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote:

Today, I'm posting a fun one that my wife and daughters love. I get a little worried about my daughters listening to this.. they're still teenagers and not supposed to know about these things. But it IS pretty dang funny...

sudo

But then you know they know cause you knew. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

prison.gif

I found this and thought maybe some (not hiway29) like myself may have never heard about this.

quote:
If Warner Brothers legal department doesn't realize they can fly solo on this project or King Features Syndicate refuses to sign a deal with them, Popeye will possibly become the only classic cartoon character not to have a commercial release of his best work. This is not the way to honor the pipe-tooting sailor man on his 75th Anniversary.

That Popeye pic is from one of the best Popeye's ever. A gem from 1936 called 'Goonland'. Popeye lands on Goon Island, searching for his Pappy who he hasn't seen in 40years, and has been held prisoner by the Goons all that time.

In the scene pictured, Popeye has found pappy in his cell playing checkers by himself , and doesn't seem thrilled to see Popeye.

"Popeye pleads-what's the matter Pappy, aintcha glad to see me?

pappy-'what do ya want me to da-kiss ya? I hates relictives'

King features has held up quite a few properties, but may be bending. A few months ago it seemed certain that Popeye would would be on dvd, but we're still waiting. There are dvd's and tapes out there of a few Fleischer Popeyes, and several of the much inferior Famous studios ones.

Do NOT be decieved by the 'colorized' Fleischer Popeyes shown on tv sometimes. A while back they took some of the 30's B&W Popeyes, and 'redrew' them in color. They are an abomination.

A friend from work is a HUGE Fleischer addict, and somehow has all the Popeyes on tape. he was generous to give me alot of them, in pristine shape. How he got these is beyond me.

Popeye needs to be on dvd tho. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Oddly, King features has been free with Betty Boop from the same studio and time, and it's available to get all the Boop cartoons in all their wonderfulness.

Hiway29,

Way to go. I remember only two kinds of Popeye cartoons from my youth. The old ones and the new ones. That's about all I could tell as a kid but it was obvious which ones were which. I never could figure out why Brutus OR Popeye would be interested in skinny homely Olive Oyl.

Here's the novelty song I promised. You all will remember it because you're all old guys like me. The only question will be how much you remember.. like who performed it.. what year did it come out... what's the classical music that's used etc..

As we've done before, answer how many notes or seconds it took before you knew it to anything else ya'll want to contribute, if you would. Was this not one of the most popular novelty songs?? That's how I remember it anyways. Click HERE!

sudo

quote:

Rick,

Re:"I actually take offense to that Sudo, as, I have NEVER answered a question that I googled the answer for without saying I googled. it."

OK OK.. so I never caught you cheating. It sounded good at the time, though. Oh, I know... it was Paw (not here to defend himself) who got caught cheating!! Yeah... That's the ticket.

sudo (who's gonna' have to post that novelty song tonight due to response it looks like)

Yeah, right! Don't try and change it now...you said me and you MEANT me. I don't believe it...my integrity has been brought into question playing a game on a stupid discussion forum!

I'm outta here!

First note here, too. Did he really record this on his during his March to the Sea, or was that another one with a different first name. I see that my copy is planted squarely between Aerosmith and Alannah Myles if that helps nail it down.

I often wonder if Leonard Skinner recovered from his tomain poisoning to grow up to be the coach that Ronnie VanZant named his southern rock band after???

With a face like Popeye's he probably couldn't do much better than Olive Oyl anyway.

My parents had that record and my sister and I practically wore out the grooves playing it. Some of the other cuts were really a lot better than that one, like "Here's to the Crabgrass" or "Hungarian Goulash #5."

Allan Sherman. 1963, maybe?

Wasway,

Re:"I often wonder if Leonard Skinner recovered from his tomain poisoning to grow up to be the coach that Ronnie VanZant named his southern rock band after???

That sounds familiar. But naw.. they spell it differently.. 'Lynyrd' I think. You're trying to pull a fast one, Wasway nono5.gif.

Rick.. Re:"Was his name Brutus? I always thought it was Bluto."

You're right. I must have been thinking of the OTHER all time classic.. Julius Caesar angelkit.gif.

Pirate.. You had that record and nearly wore the grooves out.. Does 'ya remember what was on the flip side??

sudo

Brutus was the name given to the Bluto character in the cheap 1960 King Feature s Popeye cartoons. As far as I understand it, they felt 'Bluto' was too close too 'Pluto'. Why that should bother anyone is beyond me, but they changed it to Brutus, a name I always hated.

Those 1960 cartoons were really done on the cheap, though there are a few that have some wit.

'Thimble Theater', the comic strip Popeye starred in, was around for years before Popeye. It was originally about a small fellow named Castor Oyl, and his sister Olice. There was also Cole Oyl and Nana Oyl. Olives boyfriend was Ham Gravy, a forgettable character who Popeye literally punched out of the strip eventually.

After 10 years, Popeye was introduced in 1929, as a supporting character on a sea adventure. He quickly took over the strip.

Olive may have been homely, but so were most of the women in EC Segar's great strip. He drew in a kind of comic shorthand that fit the characters perfectly. A circle, 2 dots and a blob of hair and you have Olive.

In the famous Studio cartoons of the 40's and 50's they actually made Olive a little more attractive, even showing her with boobs (!) on occassion, and drawing her face and hair nicer. Still, you can dress her up and she's still Olive Oyl.

Bluto was a minor character in the comic strip who happened to be involved in the strip when Fleischer started making Popeye cartoons. He became the perennial villain, but the Fleischer cartoons did not fall into the formula that later cartoons did.

Oh-it took me 3 notes to get the song. Allan Sherman was wonderful, and died way too soon.

quote:

That sounds familiar. But naw.. they spell it differently.. 'Lynyrd' I think. You're trying to pull a fast one, Wasway nono5.gif.

sudo

Nah

got this from Wikipedia

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Lynyrd Skynyrd is a Southern rock band that gained prominence in the 1970s. The group was founded by Ronnie Van Zant, who took the band's name from Leonard Skinner, the assistant principal at Lee High School, their senior high school. Mr. Skinner required them to get their hair cut. Rather than do that they transferred to a nearby school, Fletcher High. When the band gained some fame, Leonard Skinner would attend their performances."

Pirate,

After I asked you what was on the flip side, I did some searching and found out there were 45's with at least two different flip sides. The one I listened to had the '64 version..

The new 1964 version, recorded live on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show on 27 May 1964...

G R A N A D A! Camp Granada, bleeeck!

Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh. I am back at Camp Granada.

And I'm writing you this letter just to say my compound fracture's getting better.

No one here knows where my trunk is and my bunk is where the skunk is.

And this year the food's improving 'cause the little black things in it are not moving.

Our camp nurse is quite a swimmer. She says swimming makes you slimmer.

Her name's Mrs. Balagreeni. Have you ever seen a whale in a bikini?

All our bathrooms have such thin doors. Gee, I wish they'd move them indoors.

We're all tired of Mother Goose here. So next Friday night they're having Lenny Bruce here.

Let me stay, oh Muddah, Fadduh. Let me stay, I love Granada.

Every night the camp fire's really keen. Oh mom, please send some unguentine.

Let me stay, out here in mother nature's land and tip-toe through the tulips grand.

To leave would be a shame. Besides, I'd miss the poker game.

Please don't worry, Fadduh, Muddah. I'll take care of little brother.

He plays ball here and he rows here and I hope they teach him how to blow his nose here.

He wakes up at half past six and goes directly to the quick sand.

He was lonely, now he's better. He's like all of us except his bed is wetter.

sudo

I don't remember Jerry Lewis doing that, and if he did I really don't want to hear it.

It wouldn't surprise me if he covered it tho. Record albums by celebrities used to contain all sort of strange covers, and it makes sense that Jerry would think that song perfect for his 'crazy'voice.

Hiway29,

It's been lonely at the Nostalgia thread as of late, huh?? I've been preoccupied by honey-do's and the like but see what you could do if you wanted to post stuff your_very_own_self?? You could keep things interesting... that's what!! Looking around at my files that could be posted I came across a large MP3 from a movie that I've posted before. This time I decided to take a snippet of that movie, edit it a bit and post it here just for you, dude, though Kathy may appreciate it, too. I wanted to see if you ARE indeed a lover of old movies. Uh, maybe you DO love the old movies.. I want to test if you've watched them and how well you remember them. angelkit.gif

Here's the deal, Sparky. I post this clip and you tell me what movie, actors speaking or whatever strikes your fancy. I'll tell you this much... it's on on my top 5 of all time best movies ever made by Hollywood. I'll admit that the first time I saw this movie was 1987 and though I'm not proud of that fact, you have to keep in mind that classic movies were hard to come by before video cassete recorders. One had to stay up late at night and even then in markets where TV stations played old movies.

This part in the movie you're about to hear, brought tears to my eyes, Hiway29. Listening to the clip that may seem hard to understand, but there are things happening on-screen behind what you're hearing. I swear, this movie.. of all movies I've ever watched.. has the best ending ever. Hands down. I jumped up, pumping my fists at the sky (ala 'Rocky' style) hooted and hollered at the end. Several young cast members are still alive. Click HERE!

sudo (and.. how SOON didja' know it?)

A challenge? hmmm

I've been pretty busy myself lately, but I'm ready to be put to the test.

I don't remember a whole lot about that clip, except that it's the same movie that often misquotes the request to sam to play it again.

I detect the voice of that same star in the clip, and recall that the singing of that song was an 'in your face' to the nazis.

I don't share the same awe of tghis movie as many do, tho I certainly recognize it as one of the greats. I blame it on knowing too much about it before I ever saw it, and not having a memorable 'first time' viewing . The initial experience of a great movie determines alot of how it impacts us. I had a better first viewing experience with 'To Have and Have Not', with that same actor.

I am curious what else can be gleaned from that clip. Any sharings about it are welcome, and keep em coming.

One the greatest movie scenes ever.

It's hard to get the true feeling of it just hearing it. You really have to see it to know how powerful it is.

I had seen bits of pieces of this movie over the years but I never saw the whole thing until AMC started showing it. A true classic in every sense of the word.

Here's looking at you, kid.