The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That theme was a better show-at least it featured Tom Terrific cartoons.

But for my money, it was the local kid show of the early 60's that really grabbed me. Growing up in range of the New York TV stations, I was priveleged to have Sandy Becker, Sonny Fox, Chuck McCann, and others. These shows were very inventive, and did not talk down to the audience.

Rick,

oooh.. You're right and I bet you're feeling slighted, too. I didn't know yours but googled the lyrics and got a hit. I've never watched the show but I guess it can qualify for nostalgia. Happy Days was set a couple of decades before it was actually made after all.

sudo (who liked Manfred The Wonder Dog)

By the time I was aware, Pinky lee was n't on anymore, tho I have seen kinescopes of his show, and don't feel deprived.

Another New York kid host who didn't do it for me was Claude Kirshner of Super Circus. He had maybe the worst puppet ever, some stiff generic clown called 'clowny'.

The4n there was Officer Joe Bolton, who hosted the 3 Stooges. About once a year Moe would visit, with his now white hair combed down in Moe bangs, and his ancient face. It truly was a little disturbing. Officer Joe and the Stooges hit it off, and Joe appeared In 'Stop, Look, and Laugh', which was a collection of Stooge shorts, with new material from Paul Winchell and his puppets (Jerry Mahoney, and Knucklehead Smiff), Joe Bolton, and the ever annoying Marquis Chimps.

Jo also appeared in the last Stooge feature, "The Outlaws is Coming". This western featured Stooge kid show hosts from around the country playing members of an outlaw gang vs the Stooges. If you lived near a major city, chances were your local host was in it.

Pinky Lee did sing 'jellybeaners'. He was sort of a Pee Wee Herman type, tho nowhere near as odd.

All I remember of Pinky Lee's show was his houndstooth checked suit and (IIRC) the Gumby cartoons.

I do remember him having his own show at the New York World's Fair in '65, though. I remember my mother groaning and walking quickly past the stand-up cardboard cut-out signs along the walkway. Lloyd Bridges had a show there as well, but what the hay he did, I haven't a clue.

Oh, and the Claude Kirshner show I actually got to see live at the Radio City Music Hall, if I'm thinking of the right show. I remember being tremendously disappointed that I didn't get to play in the game. I sooo wanted to see how well I'd do scooping up all those new pennies in the Penny-Pile part of the show.

Kathy,

Those were New York programs it appears. Nostalgia even happened there!! Dancing Bear was featured after I had left. Painted wings and giants' rings had made way for other toys icon_frown.gif:(--> . About the time of Dancing Bear, I was listening to the English invasion and here's a snippet of a song that was so very popular at the time but so very different from today. Other worlds and other values.

What's foremost in today's popular songs about love?? Is it getting married?? I don't think so.. and our culture suffers banghead.gif Here's what appealled to young people back in the middle 60's. Romance. It's in all the songs. Click HERE! and see my point.

Anyone even remember this group and very popular song???? I have the whole thing in a good MP3 format if anybody's interested.

sudo

It's the Hollies, and since we know that, I'll reveal that the song is Bus Stop. A friendly bouncy, tune that was quite listenable. I heard 'he Ain't Heavy, he's My Brother ' by them recently, and am starting to think that is one of the great pop songs. It's real good.

I was talking about New York programs, as I said. Your own local kid show host is just as relevant to you.

Wasway,

Why, yeah, I noticed that Hammond organ. Sounds just like Whiter Shade of Pale!! I want your MP3 version, dude!!!

Hiway29.. here's a little treat just for you. Uh, you do have broadband, don't 'ya?? Click HERE! The Hollies were pretty typical and though I don't want to sound like some old geezer talking about how things were better in MY day.. just listen to the lyrics. I hear what my kids listen to and some of the stuff is just filthy!

sudo

P.S. As an aside.. anyone familiar with the play Purlie? Or Purlie Victorious?? Probably not. It was a musical back in the early 70's and one of my favorites was a tune called Walk Him Up. Seems some old scandalous geezer had died and at his funeral they sang for the Lord to take him into Heaven. With all the news about the Pope's demise, I couldn't help thinking about the song.. click HERE!

New Lamps for Old debuted on an album called Exotic birds and Fruit(ok, stupid name but come on, it was the early 70's...they were stoned!) and, yes, I DID look that up. But it would seem that it preceeded Whiter Shade of Pale. Which would make sense...almost the same exact music but Whiter Shade of Pale had a much more mature, polished sound.

Rick

It didn't precede 'Whiter Shade of Pale" if it came out in the 70's. since "Whiter Shade.." was out in the 60's. Somewhere between '66 and '69.

It does SOUND like an earlier version of Procol Harum tho. I've never heard the 'Exotic Birds' album, but was quite fond of "A Salty Dog", which came out around 1970.

I did a little more looking and can't find any reference to New Lamps for Old before Exotic Birds and fruit. I thought Lamps was first cause that was the order they had the albums in on the website where I found the info. But you are right, whiter shade of pale was released in 1967, 7 years before Lamps. Go figure. I would have bet anything that Lamps was first, and then fine-tuned for WSOP.

Rick

This next one may be going back too far for a lot of folks. 1958. I was six years old but remember it well as it was number #1 on the charts for 6 weeks. My dad used to sing it and my little sister would get all scared. Man, how times have changed.

Look at this pic and try to think what song's gonna' play when you click on it. icon_smile.gif:)-->

ppe_ani1.gif

sudo