Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasway,

Man, those are great! Is there any doubt that Ray Stevens is the master of the novelty song? Of all those you posted I'm hard pressed to pick out a favorite but my favorite lyric would have to be from Surfin' USSR...

"Thought the girls were bewitchin' back in Moscow U. 'Til we saw the little honeys here in Malibu. One look through the prescope and we all flipped. It was a mutiny aboard the People's Ship."

But you didn't post my all time favorite Ray Stevens novelty tune and I remember sending you the MP3 some years ago, too! My how the time flies by on this Nostalgia thread, huh? But here it is in the 'scaled-down-easy-to-play-for dial-up' version icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> . Click HERE!

sudo (who needs a new Rolex, too)

well, I do. Witout naming him, I will say that he was the creation of Ub Iwerks, who was Walt Disney's partner in the early years, and who animated the first Mickey Mouse cartoons.

To make a long stroy short, they had a falling out in the early 30's, and Ub started his own studio, with this fellow as his star character.

While he is hardly a household name, he was in some pretty good cartoons. They used to show them on a local channel when I was a kid.

Obviously, he did not become another Mickey Mouse, and Ub eventually went back to Disney, where he pioneered technologies such as the multi-plane camera, used in Snow White, Pinocchio,etc. Ub went from being a near equal partner with Walt in the 20's, to another cog in the creative machine in his later years-but that's another topic.

Don't know Flip the Frog, but here's one for you cartoon fans.

Does anybody ever remember watching Bosco cartoons when they were a kid? I think they might have been made in the 30s or 40s, but I used to see them all the time on tv in the 50s. Nobody else I've ever asked seems to have heard of Bosco and I haven't seen one in probably 45 years. He was a little guy and I can't even remember now what he did but I sure remember watching them.

It seems like he might have been black which is probably why you don't see them any more.

Since I know you love to hear me pontificate, here's some more stuff about Bosko, and early Warner bros.

Bosko was indeed the first 'star' at Warners, and appeared in several early talk cartoons. He wasn't black in the stereotypical manner of most black characters back then. He was black mainly as a way of making him stand out among the white backgrounds.

Either harman or ising left Warnersin the early 30's and somehow Bosko left with him. Harman and ising eventually partnered at MGM in the mid 30's on, producing some beautiful but to my mind, boring cartoons.

To replace Bosko, they came up with 'Buddy'. A bland fellow who made Bosko look innovative. As hard as it is to imagine Warner Bros were having a difficult time developing any worthwhile characters.

In the mid 30's , Tex Avery came aboard, and beagan working with animators such as Bob Clampett and Chuck Jones. They were given an edict to come up with characters, which led to such giants as Oliver Owl, Ham and Ex, and Porky and Beans. Most of them flopped, and beans eventually disappeared leaving Porky Pig as the first legitimate star. It was still a ways off from daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. The embryonic Elmer Fudd character was called Egghead, who proved to be as insufferable a character as you've ever seen.

But Bosko was there first-no relation to the fondly remembered Bosco chocolate syrup of my youth.

quote:
Originally posted by hiway29:

Since I know you love to hear me pontificate, here's some more stuff about Bosko, and early Warner bros.

Bosko was indeed the first 'star' at Warners, and appeared in several early talk cartoons. He wasn't black in the stereotypical manner of most black characters back then. He was black mainly as a way of making him stand out among the white backgrounds.

Either harman or ising left Warnersin the early 30's and somehow Bosko left with him. Harman and ising eventually partnered at MGM in the mid 30's on, producing some beautiful but to my mind, boring cartoons.

To replace Bosko, they came up with 'Buddy'. A bland fellow who made Bosko look innovative. As hard as it is to imagine Warner Bros were having a difficult time developing any worthwhile characters.

In the mid 30's , Tex Avery came aboard, and beagan working with animators such as Bob Clampett and Chuck Jones. They were given an edict to come up with characters, which led to such giants as Oliver Owl, Ham and Ex, and Porky and Beans. Most of them flopped, and beans eventually disappeared leaving Porky Pig as the first legitimate star. It was still a ways off from daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. The embryonic Elmer Fudd character was called Egghead, who proved to be as insufferable a character as you've ever seen.

But Bosko was there first-no relation to the fondly remembered Bosco chocolate syrup of my youth.

Showoff! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> wink2.gif;)-->

Kathy,

I agree.. the man's good. I never saw any Bosko cartoons and I'm wondering if those type of things will ever be shown again. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Betty Boop cartoon.

Uh, gots a new tune.. click on the pic of the lady singing it.

aab.jpg

sudo

Yes, Kathy. As you can see, the early Flip was much more frog-like. The later design was more practical and appealing.

I'm curious about Sudo's pic there. The song was from the show 'Gypsy', which was about the life of Gypasy Rose Lee, but I'm not sure if that is who is in the picture. I also don't know if that song was written for the broadway play, or if it was an old 'standard'.

well, since you asked.

I've loved cartoons as far back as I can remember. Looking back, I realize I was actually studying them when I was 8 years old. I knew there were differences between the way Bugs Bunny looked in one cartoon to the next, and wanted to know why. I knew the old Popeye cartoons were better than the newer ones and needed to know why. I thought about the 'limited animation' in Yogi Bear cartoons, and realized that didn't mean they couldn't be good.

I didn't see myself doing animation then tho. The animation industry was a dying field in the 60's and 70's. The thought of moving to California and working at Disney was not even conceivable.

I wanted to draw comic books, and saw myself drawing for Marvel comics. To that end I was an art major in college and was able to get in a class with John Buscema, one of Marvel's top artist.

I also got into the way which was as great an impediment to starting a career as anything.

In the 80's a drew comic books for some small level publishers, including 3 years working on 'Glad' magazine-the humore magazine put pout by the way corps guy in the early 80's.

To cut short a long story, I got a job in animation in 1990, and have worked in animation since then, mostly at disney, but also several years at Warner Bros., as well as other studios. My first really nice job was in the early 90's working on Tazmania, a show starring the Tazmanian Devil, which I thought was pretty cool.

Not to give my resume here, but I just finished 3 seasons on Kim Possible, which has become one of the better received shows on the Disney Channel.

I guess I could have answered your question ,'yes'. believe it or not, I'm usually not this gabby.