GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

loved that flyin' purple people eater song. I was 6 years old also, and that was probably the one song I knew from the radio.

Fortunately when I got a little bit older, they gave us the itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot bikini.

Whatever happened to 'novelty songs' ?

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Bluzeman-I'm certain that long intro on the first one was cut for radio play. Who knew one needed to buy the record for the extended version.

I doubt if Snoopy is embraced today as he was way back when. He seems to have attained icon status, similar to ,but not as big as, Mickey Mouse. A character that everyone recognizes, but isn't relevant to today.

Rick,

I barely remembered that long intro. Good work on finding it! The tune I hear more often on retro stations is the Christmas version. And even that one is slightly different.. the part about the Red Baron up and flying again?? Not sure exactly.

sudo

These were the two that I rememberd...although, not the long intro for the first one. I almost cut that out before I posted it, but then, I thought if I have never heard it, maybe the others here haven't either. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hiway29:

Charles Schulz(spelling?) made a lot of "soft" political statements with Snoopy, that I LOVED! I rememeber when his birdie buddy Woodstock first came on the scene...it was really great! Snoopy was one of the best characters to come from the Peanuts cartoons...Next to Charlie Brown, of course. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

I agree completely about Snoopy. He was such a cultural phenom back then. Schulz was at the peak of his career and "Peanuts' was at the height of it's popularity. The peanuts television specials just made Snoopy more popular.

I do think that Snoopy still exists as an icon , but is not as relevant in people's minds. Shulz is gone, and the peanuts cartoon franchise is pretty much in the past.

Snoopy greeting cards still abound. Knotsberry farm has 'Camp Snoopy', and there is not a child in the country who still doesn't recognize him.

Fantagraphic Books has started to reprint the complete "Peanuts" comic strip, from day one, in a beautifully packaged format. There have only been to volumes out as yet, with a new one every 4 months or so. I give them my highest recommendation.

For anyone who has never read the earliest peanuts, it will come as quite a jolt to see how different it is from the peanuts we know and love.It was a process of years to develop and shape the strip. Snoopy is very much a 'real' dog in these early strips, with flashes of what is to come.

Well, Kathy, Woodstock emerged pretty much as you know him today in the early 70's. He was not part of the early Peanuts strip, and came along when Peanuts was at the height of it's popularity. The relationship between Woodstock and Snoopy began right away.

Peanuts itself began in the early 1950's.

One of my favorite novelty songs... We've all heard it but click HERE! and.... name the year it came out... without looking it up. You might be surprised.

The thing about novelty songs were that they were generally just a lot of fun. Why don't we have any of that today??

sudo

I had not seen one of these until I was at Gunnison and then it surprised me because I thought it would come up to my knee and it is a little tiny thing. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Sudo, I was pretty young so I would guess maybe 59 or something in that neighborhood.

And thanks, it brought a smile. icon_smile.gif:)-->

One of my favorite novelty songs, Sudo. Let's see, Kathy may very well be right. She's certainly in the neighborhood.

The original 'Alvin' show was broadcast around 1961, and this song had already been around for awhile. It was incorporated into a song segment of the show, of course.

If you only remember Alvin from the 80's version, you don't know Alvin. The "Alvin Show' was witty and fun. The 80's version is childish and ponderous.