The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You two are wonderful to not have looked at the properties. And hiway29 you know who they are.

As to how I found it, well I like looking for pictures. I wish I would get my butt together and stop and learn how to do songs (Sudo so graciously offered to teach me).

The older cartoons were jumpy and not so high-tech as today, but they were great fun and showed quite a bit of talent. Unlike many today that are just plain insults they're so lame! Makes me glad I ain't a spring chicken in some ways, because I got to enjoy some greatness of days past. As time goes on if we don't introduce some of this stuff to our kids and grandkids they will think Barney and Sponge Bob were actually important talents. Oh dear God, we really need to step it guys. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Keep the pictures coming, kathy. I think they're fun.

I couldn't agree with you more about keeping older animation alive. The gentlemen in the above picture may not be the best representatives of 30's animation,but they don't deserve to be forgotten.

A good Fleischer Popeye, or Betty Boop cartoon can still amaze. There are many others.

There are good cartoons being made today tho. Maybe I'm more aware since I work in the industry. As always, cartoons range from excellent to just awful. In it's own way,SpongeBob is quite good.

I really know nothing of it except these few facts.

The Van Bueren Studios still stand in Times Square at 729 Seventh Avenue.

Produced in 30's (31-33) by RKO and Van Bueren studios.

And I think they also did Felix the Cat and Cubby Bear.

As far as their subject matter and how they handled it I have no idea actually.

Bye y’all.

And hiway29, you know more than me so I gladly give over to your opinion. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Cartoon Network and most other tv stations rarely show cartoons that old-with the exception of old warner bros- and only those either in color or colorized.

The thinking is that kids will not accept b+w . They may be right, but I love b+w cartoons. And I also believe that kids will still respond to many of the old cartoons. Somehow the 3 stooges have escaped the b+w prejudice.

Plus cartoon network largely shows original stuff, and alot of Hanna Barbera and Warner bros. This is because Cartoon network is basically the result of Warner Bros having bought hanna barbera, and cartoon network has sorta sprung out as a result.

The van Beuren studio was never very popular, and really not as good as others. Still, they produced some very likeable cartoons. They acquired Fleix the cat-who was extremely popular and innovative during the silent era, pre-Disney. The Felix cartoons they made in the 30's were quite elaborate, lushly drawn, and lacking much of the imagination of the original fe;ix's.

Both incarnations have little resemblance to the Felix we grew up with. No bag of tricks, professor, or Rockbottom.

Anybody up for another novelty song??

The group that made this has Memphis connections, so I thought it was just a local hit back when it came out. They had their biggest hit a year or two BEFORE this one came out but... I prefer this one. Click HERE! I don't think this group did anything BUT novelty songs and I liked most of them.

sudo

That was a big hit in Connecticut, Sudo. I always like the name of the group, with it's inconrous 'egyptian' reference, and the description of the lead singer.

In other words, I'm searching for a way to not reveal the group. I'm also racking my brain to come up with their bigger hit.

And for another tune they did that was popular(and there weren't very many) click HERE! As you listen to it, ask yourself why we don't have fun songs like that coming out and being played on the radio today.

I mean, they were so common back then. Remember Ahab the Arab?? All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth? Alvin wanting a Hula Hoop for Christmas? Even if there WERE a novelty song today, would they not be asking for something a little more vulgar at Christmas. I'm sick of of the coarsening of our culture. But I rant and rave..

Now for something that makes the heart glad and lightens the soul, click HERE! Who's doing the duet with Shirley Temple?? Ahh.. some wonderful movies.

sudo

There was a Marx Bros marathon on Turner Classics tonight and hubby was watching it off and on. They were something were they not?

Some of what they showed tonight was: Duck Soup, Horse Feathers, and Monkey Business. Some of the stuff they said really does reflect a difference in how we speak to each other, or was it just the humor? I admit to ignorance on slapstick.

See y'all tomorrow. Sorry no time to play the tunes and guess. icon_smile.gif:)-->