Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW folks....

We're leaving for Hollywood tomorrow afternoon. Will be staying in the Doubletree in Anaheim. Anyone gots some more good sightseeing suggestions for me??? Hiway29? Any California residents out there? Hmmm????

sudo

Sudo,

I don't know if you're much into architecture and the like, but there's a CLASSIC "Arts and Crafts" style home in Pasadena that's open to the public. The Gamble House (of "Proctor and Gamble") was built by the famous firm of "Greene and Greene" around 1910 or 1920.

I've never been there myself - though I've always meant to go - but I've seen photos of the place and it's restoration and it's simply a jewel. If fine homes or woodworking appeal to you at all, I think it would be worth the drive.

:eusa_clap:

It's a nice version but I have to admit I like Joni Mitchell's the best. Still this is very nice for a Saturday morning. Thanks.

I think Judy Collins's version is the prettiest. I don't think I've heard Joni Mitchell's. This Glen Campbell version is a nice cover, though.

George

If you want something REALLY offbeat-try the 'Museum of Jurassic Technology" on Venice Blvd in Culver City. Don't have the address but you can google it. You also have to look sharp cause it's an unassuming place and you have to ring the bell.

If youre in that area give it a try

Geo,

Thanks. Say, how far away is that castle owned by Hearst? Is that the L.A. area?? I've been to California only one other time back in '96 so I have little knowledge of what to do there. Click HERE! to enjoy and name movie from 1946. I mean, I had to post something since this is the Nostalgia thread, huh?

sudo

I think Judy Collins's version is the prettiest. I don't think I've heard Joni Mitchell's. This Glen Campbell version is a nice cover, though.

George

Actually I'm changing my mind. :unsure: I think I like the version by Clannad and Paul Young best. And to correct myself I'm not sure which I prefer actually Joni Mitchell who wrote the song as well as sang it or Judy Collins version best.

Hearst castle is about 4 hours north of LA, so unless you're factoring a trip up the coast, it's out of range probably.

For the best view of LA that I know of, and get a good hike in to boot, there's Runyan Park, off of Mulholland Drive. It's one of the few places where one can unleash their dog, so there are many dogs and their owners hiking. At the summit there is an overlook that encompasses all of LA from the Hollywood sign, to the ocean.

If you're in downtown LA , and want to eat , the legendary Filipe's is near the train station, great beef sandwiches and other deli stuff.

Just south and west of Hollywood is Pink's-LA's most reknowned hot dog stand , and most likely place to find a 'celebrity' stopping off, if that kind of thing interests you.

with sudo winging his way to california, is the nostalgia thread doomed to be pushed to the bottom of the pile,beneath the puzzles and tv reviews? Will sudo return only to find his baby perhaps even banished to (gulp) page 2. We, the stewards of the nostalgia mystery must not let it die within one generation.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the thoughts.. Here I am in a very nice room at the DoubleTree Anaheim. We got in VERY late last night, uh, this morning and I'm having trouble rousing my family. So what am I doing?? Using the data port in the room and a laptop I brought! Pretty cool, huh? I hate typing on this little bitty sucker, though.. my fingers are too big!! Later gator!!

sudo