GreaseSpot Cafe

Why are Mormans so successful?

Hills Bro

Stats show that the vast majority of mormans are business savy. Many are into real estate ...many run their own companies like David Neeleman CEO Jet Blue.

neeleman.jpg

What makes them so successful? Many claim it's because they tithe. Some think it's because they eat right. Personally I think it's because they like BUSH!!!

The majority of Mormons that I have know are ethical and have high morals.(And being born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, I have met many Mormons).

They also believe in education and working hard for what they get.

Because of there work ethic and morals, they are not as likely to get involved with "get rich scheams" (of course there are exceptions). In short, they don't make deals with the "devil". Maybe thats why they voted for Bush anim-smile.gif

Also they are family based and faith based. Strong families make strong individuals and strong individuals make strong community.

they are accountable to the church and to their large families. I know it is more difficult to get involved in questionable activities or be lazy when ya got a large family in your face and a large powerful church in your corner.

they punish those that do not toe the line, they teach their children from birth what the line is . It is normal for them to succeed. Drinking and drugs and gambling is prohibitied that has to help .

They also have no other approved outlet for their ambitions. Like Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and probably several other church groups, the religious prohibitions against all the normal vices, philandering, gambling, drinking, etc. are so emphatic - and the perceived consequences so dire - that the normal, everday, wild, headstrong, young man has only business in which to channel his energies, that is, without carrying around a huge load of guilt.

The "iniquities of the world" are prohibited and derided in the strongest manner with the most dire of consequences and, meanwhile, success in business is still lauded. So they "rebel" in the only way they can - they succeed.

I guess there's a lesson in there somewhere...

Let's not forget about the Mormon football team

Brigram Young University).

I am going out on a limb here...

BYU will lose there last game of the season this Saturday to the University of Utah icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

(the game will be on ESPN)

According to my cousin (who is on the U of U team) they are motivated and hungry to win.

icon_cool.gif

quote:

The "iniquities of the world" are prohibited and derided in the strongest manner with the most dire of consequences and, meanwhile, success in business is still lauded. So they "rebel" in the only way they can - they succeed.

I guess there's a lesson in there somewhere...

Such insight!!! I'm withyabrotha! Gotta do something with your spare time icon_smile.gif:)--> so why not make moola!

Have had mixed experiences concernng Mormons.

1) They take care of each other very well. If someone has ever been a Mormon and hasn't been excommunicated, one always has access to Mormon assistance regardless of active participation.

I know a man who is the manager of an adult book store, lives an immoral life (you name it, he's probably done it or still does it), and hasn't been to church in over 20 years. Last summer a couple of men out witnessing for the Mormon church stopped by this guy's house. This guy got them to build him a fence and a storage shed/play house...just because he told them he was a Mormon.

2) On the other hand...

We lived on a dairy in Alaska that was owned and operated by Mormons. There were only 3 non-Mormons involved...us and another milker.

Everybody lived on the dairy.

It was not well kept at all. The cattle were diseased (TB...I even contracted bovine TB and nearly died), the barns were not well kept, the water troughs had electric heaters that were shorting out and shocking the cattle every time they tried to drink (which stopped most of them from drinking), the main milkers were instructed to put plenty of antibiotics in the milk tanks, they emptied the gray water from cleaning the milk room right under the employee housing (which is how I contracted bovine TB), they milked 3 times/day, the calves were pulled out of the cows with motor pullers instead of allowed to be born naturally and mastitis was in 1 of every 3 cows.

The wives didn't fare much better. One woman nearly died after giving birth to her 8th child in 8 years. Her uterus literally fell out of her. But all her husband could talk to her about while she was in the hospital was having 2 more children. She was not the only woman to experience such a thing at this dairy.

Hmmmm...after twi and the Mormons, I'm beginning to wonder if it's just an Alaskan thing...

I had a mormon family renting a house from me. They weren't so successful. Both worked for the same dot.com company (bad move) and when it tanked it seemed like they never found jobs.

The church would pay their rent which I could understand once or twice, but this went on and on. AND not only would the church pay their rent, but they wouldn't ask for it till the rent was way late and they owed late fees so the church had to pay them too.

These folks home-schooled about 4 kids and the place was a mess when I finally sold it.

I don't fault them for loosing their jobs, but never being able to find work, not even using the church's charity wisely. It didn't look like success to me.

I guess it depends how you define success.

Actually, I think in the book "The God Makers," the author pointed out that Mormons are not as succesful as they would have outsiders to think.

According to the book - Utah has a much higher incidence of alcoholism than the rest of the U.S. population (a secret that nobody likes to be reminded of) and they have a higher than average divorce rate.

One thing's for certain though... they are as culty as a CULT can be.