GreaseSpot Cafe

100 years ago..................

Cowgirl

Back in 1905.....

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14% of the homes in the US had a bathtub.

There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

The average wage in the US was 22 cents an hour.

The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year.

More than 95% of all births took place at home.

Sugar cost 4 cents a pound. Eggs were 14 cents a dozen. Coffee was 15 cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Crossword puzzles, canned beer and iced tea hadn't been invented.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two of 10 US adults couldn't read or write. Only 6% of all Americans had graduated high school.

Marijuana, heroin and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores.

Eighteen percent of households in the US had aleast one full-time servant or domestic.

And the one I find the most interesting......

The three leading causes of death in the US were:

1. Pneumonia and influenza

2. Tuberculosis

3. Diarrhea

Well. It seems to me then, that the money I pay in taxes in one year these days would have made me a rich man "back in the day" of 1905. Hah!

I coulda had my own herd of quarter horses and worked as a cowboy out in Oklahoma or Texas, and I coulda done it just fer sport! Woulda been nice fore shore. Hard work of course, but it's all relative. I'm forty seven and still hanging sheetrock on a regular basis, so cowboyin' would seem to be a welcome relief as far as I kin see...

I did cowboy once every two weekends out at my wife's uncle' 79,000 acre ranch in Oklahoma (Freeman Ranches) for a little while. We'd spend a whole day (7-8 hrs in the saddle) roundin up the "800 pounders" for the feed lot, and then when we got to the feed lot, we'd weigh them by the batches. And oh man! That first three days after my first time I was about dead! Talk about a sore a$$ and thighs! But I got used to it after awhile by riding in between roundups and trying to learn to rope with my wifes' cousins. I was lousy at it, but it was fun!

Sometimes I just wish life were a whole lot simpler...

1905 was probably a lot harder, yet maybe alot simpler too. At least the women folk wouldn't have spent so much time in the damned bathroom primping! Hah!

Just think:

No TV, computer, stereo cd's, dvds, mpgs, vhs's, cars to fix on, insurance to pay, taxes to pay, spam to delete, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum...

Instead, folks could make their own music with guitars, mandolins, banjos,, pianos, and, their own sweet voices! Yeah! Or, at night, folks could tell stories, or read them from books to their kids and such...sigh...

Cowgirl I like ya. If I had the chance, I'd play my harmonica for ya. You inspire me to think of simpler times and things...Thanks. icon_smile.gif:)-->

And today, if you could shrink the world down to 100 people (keeping the same ratios and proportions) there would be:

51 females and 49 males;

57 Asians, 21 Europeans, 14 from the Americas and 8 Africans;

70 non-white and 30 white;

50% of the wealth would be in the hands of 6 people living in the US;

80 living in substandard housing;

70 who were illiterate;

50 would be suffering from malnutrition;

1 person would be near death and 1 person would be near birth;

1 person with a college education;

and not one person who owned a computer.

Shoot! I have been practicin the song "You're the reason God made Oklahoma" for the past half hour so my wife and I can sing it right when we do the karioke thing tonight, and, I am so nostalgic for the Prairie, and the sweet smell of horse that I just want to pack up and go!!

Cowgirl! What have you done to me here?! The cabin fever is gittin to me! I feel like old Sam McGee who was pining for his home in Tennessee!

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Lingo:

I coulda had my own herd of quarter horses and worked as a cowboy out in Oklahoma or Texas...

Oklahoma is a horrible, worthless place full of lunatics and people who have post-traumatic stress disorder from the constant barrage of tornadoes.

Texas, on the other hand, is a great place with lots of good people and good things to see and do. It's not a hellhole worthless landlocked state like Oklahoma. :-D

I think I can explain why diarrhea was the #3 killer back then, Cowgirl. It is still a big killer of babies and young children in third-world countries. If unchecked, severe diarrhea can result in fatal dehydration. Unfortunately, many uneducated mothers thought that the best treatment for diarrhea was to restrict fluids.

Regards,

Shaz

Hi Shaz, the reason I found it so interesting, is today even though the life expectancy is 76.8, we have dieases that are the leading causes of death that nobody even heard of back then.

I've been reading a book you might find interesting, called "The Okinawa Program" how the world's longest-lived people achieve everlasting health. it's absolutely facinating!!!

Cowgirl

Perhaps many of the things we die of now, either they didn't know that their symptoms were actually a disease, or they died before they were old enough to get sick from them!

For example, the DNA of Borrellia burgdorferi, the bacterium which causes Lyme disease, has been found on some hundred-year-old pelts. Perhaps people were getting infected back then, but didn't realize what it was.

I have also seen many young children who would have probably never survived infancy back then, who continue to have medical problems. I suppose we may be creating more people who are living longer, but needing more medical assistance to do so ('course, I wouldn't think of changing that).

When people talk about the "good old days," I wonder if they really know what they mean...

Regards,

Shaz

PS -- yeah, the book sounds interesting.

Shaz, here's an excerpt from the book...............can't get the page for you, but here is the web site www.okinawaprogram.com/

When the authors were doing their study on these people their first conclusion was it had to be genetics, but later found out it was what they ate and their way of life, some of the young people were leaving the island and adapting the western way of life and were succumbing to the same dieases that we in the western world deal with.

]

quote:
Oklahoma is a horrible, worthless place full of lunatics and people who have post-traumatic stress disorder from the constant barrage of tornadoes.

Texas, on the other hand, is a great place with lots of good people and good things to see and do. It's not a hellhole worthless landlocked state like Oklahoma. :-D

Gee thanks Mosh. Glad you think so highly of my wife, and two of my "lunatic" children who were born and raised in Oklahoma. Oh, and then there is one whole half of my family that are lunaticks as well, according to you.

Oklahoma is a beautiful state, which you obviously don't know very much about.

But the good news is that my dumb Okie wife and kids won't have to worry about idiots like you coming down and spoiling the place with your rudeness and ignorance.

And lastly, there are just as many tornados in Texas as in Oklahoma. Have you ever heard of Saragosa? Well, it was totally wiped away by a Texas tornado...

quote:

Gee thanks Mosh. Glad you think so highly of my wife, and two of my "lunatic" children who were born and raised in Oklahoma.

I guess there is a caveat about people that leave Oklahoma. My sisters were born there, but no longer live there. They're probably better people because of it.

quote:

Oh, and then there is one whole half of my family that are lunaticks as well, according to you.

I have a few relatives that live there, and actually my uncle was born elsewhere and moved to Oklahoma. They are religious nuts though, so they fit in with the lunatics.

quote:

Oklahoma is a beautiful state, which you obviously don't know very much about.

What is beautiful in Oklahoma is better elsewhere. The Ozarks are not even as impressive as the Appalachain mountains, much less the Rockies. The panhandle is a horrible place, the desert areas are not as interesting as in Arizona. The central plains have nothing special as far as I can tell.

quote:

But the good news is that my dumb Okie wife and kids won't have to worry about idiots like you coming down and spoiling the place with your rudeness and ignorance.

I had an open mind towards the place until I lived there. The people are generally lazy, rude, and a lot more ignorant than I am. There are more churches than bars, LCM is from there, and they have 3.2 beer and tattoos are illegal. Oh, and they tried to rip off San Antonio's riverwalk in OKC, but made it more "family friendly." The only good thing I can say about Oklahoma City is that there are no good restaurants (actually, the only one that is ok is Chuck House, but it's not healthy at all) so I started on my diet and not going out to eat much anymore since just about every restaurant there will give you food poisoning and e coli.

quote:

And lastly, there are just as many tornados in Texas as in Oklahoma. Have you ever heard of Saragosa? Well, it was totally wiped away by a Texas tornado...

Texas is a lot larger than Oklahoma, and is the second largest state next to Alaska. So if there are as many tornadoes in Texas as there are in Oklahoma, that means Oklahoma must have quite a few.

Anyway, if you like Oklahoma, that's your choice. I just know that it was the worst, soul-crushing, oppressive, populated with ignorant people place I've ever lived. I never went to Tulsa so maybe it's different, but OKC sucks and all of the small towns hate people that aren't from there anyway.

You are just so totally wrong in everything you say, except that Texas is bigger, and Alaska even bigger than that.

It does not surprise me though, that some Oklahomans treated you poorly, for, with an arrogant attitude like the one you have displayed here, coupled with your young age, you probably deserved it and more. You still haven't even considered for a second how you have insulted me and my family.

And now, I will retire from addressing you, and allow Cowgirl and friends to have her thread topic back....

p.s.

Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas are all nicknamed "tornado alley" by the various residents "no whut I mean, Vern?"

Here's another one for your interest...............If you were living in Los Angeles a hundred years ago:

You would take the streetcar to work.

You would work six days a week.

If you were a blank clerk you would work Saturday nights.

If you were really really lucky you might get a week's paid vacation.

A cop could arrest you on suspicion and then try to figure out what to charge you with.

You could be arrested for speaking to a crowd without a permit.

You could get 2 years in the clink for stealing seven cents from a church poor box.

You could take your whole family swimming in fresh mineral water.

If you were a teacher you couldn't get married and keep your job unless you were a man.

quote:
Originally posted by Radar O'Reilly:

Mark,

I am stuck on the "did time in both states" comment. Care to elaborate? icon_wink.gif;)-->

ror

Radar:

I don't believe I used the words "did time in both states." What I said was, "I actually have had good times in both states." Do I care to elaborate on that? Hmmmmmmm. No, I don't think so. icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif;)-->

OK STOP. I have lived my whole life in Texas and never want to leave.

Oklahoma is ok in a pinch. Well let me put it another way. I would rather live in Oklahoma in a trailer than NEW YORK in a Mansion. We wont even talk about New Jersey.

Yall just remember that Texas is a state of mind.

Now if yall want to move down here thats fine. Please stop off in Arkansas for a couple of years to wear off some of the @#$%^&*().

Actually, P-Mosh, If you really want a state to fry, try Alabama, where someone like Roy "10 Commandments instead of the 1st Amendment" Moore actually has a decent chance at nabbing the governor's trailer--err, mansion, believe it or not. icon_eek.gif

And I can talk, 'cause I lived there for many a year, until I finally had it up to here, got a far better job, and moved to Georgia about 7 years ago. And I haven't looked back since.

So leave Oklahoma be, give Jonny Lingo's family a break, and focus on Alabama. Believe you me chief, there is *plenty* to roast about 'The Trailerpark State'.

"Welcome to Alabama. Please set your clocks back about 100 years."

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->