GreaseSpot Cafe

Giving Money to Strangers

Nottawayfer

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Like some of you, my sons and I have had our struggles financially. Unless I hit the lottery, guess I'll always be on that razor's edge. If I am so moved to help someone, and I do so whenever I can, I realize that sometimes there may indeed be a scam in the works. I really hope not, but in the final analysis, it won't be me that will have to answer for it.

I work in an office, and one day several ladies were griping about scammers, welfare, and lazy people who never worked. One woman, who had been silent, raised her head up and said that had it not been for welfare, charity, and the kindness of others, she and her siblings would have starved when they were growing up. She admitted that her parents were both deadbeats and p*ssed away money and wouldn't work if it was offered. But the children couldn't help it. They survived on what was offered to them by others. I can still hear her voice as she said this. I will never forget it. Yep--the parents may be shiftless and worthy of contempt, but what of the children ? I do not begrudge one penny of my money that goes to help a child.

I see quite of folks here near the freeway ramps with signs that say "Will Work For Food". On several occasions I have offered to take them up on thier offer. Everytime there has been an excuse why they can't work. I no longer offer and seldom put anything in thier hat. Lazy bums and alcoholics many of them, just trying to get money for a beer.

Then a few years ago I saw this fellow with a sign that said, "Lazy Bum - Spare Change for Beer". He was smiling at folks and joking around with motorists stopped on the exit ramp. I liked his approach. I usually gave him a buck or two.

Come to find out, he did not even drink at all. He was just down on his luck and needed some money to get back home.

Yep Goey, we really don't know when we hand that buck or two out, do we ? Like I said, sometimes I do and sometimes I can't. I read a book written by a homeless guy that stayed on the road for years, just he and his dog. They survived on odd jobs and handouts. He finally settled down, got some work and education, and became a writer. His story really opened my eyes to how it must be to have to live like that. Maybe that handful of change or that bag of burgers will help someone get through the day and enable them to get one step closer to having a stable life. Hope so, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Goey:

I see quite of folks here near the freeway ramps with signs that say "Will Work For Food". On several occasions I have offered to take them up on thier offer. Everytime there has been an excuse why they can't work. I no longer offer and seldom put anything in thier hat. Lazy bums and alcoholics many of them, just trying to get money for a beer.

Goey, that's exactly what I'm saying. My heart does go out to those who are truly hard on their luck, but it's hard to determine who is and who is really just a lazy bum.

"Lazy Bum Just Wants A Beer" LOL!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Maybe I oughta try that? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Don't laugh, I've seen that sign. Well, close to it. The guy was outside Yankee Stadium. His sign read, "Why lie? I need a drink."

I hear he made quite a chunk of change.

I just looked that phrase up on the Internet. Seems a lot of folks decided on the honest approach. The guy I saw at Yankee Stadium may not have been the first to draw up that sign.

In the Baltimore Sun a few years ago, there was an article about the homeless in the city. Someone had enough money to inaugurate a project that would give free shelter and meals and clothing to the homeless, no strings attached, except I think they were to repent of panhandling perhaps, I don't remember. When he solicited his availability to the homeless, NONE of them were interested!!!! STRANGE???? What was the reason??? PRIDE???? What they do right now is awful shameful by comparison. Or is it the end of their free handouts, and subsequently the end of their wine parties? I would assume a person who is truly hard on his luck would find such an availability an OASIS!

A large percentage of homeless people are mentally ill. A decade or two ago they'd have been in mental hospitals, but the laws/funding changed and they were put out on the streets.

Many of these mentally ill homeless people are paranoid schizophrenics. They avoid going to shelters for fear of being killed, robbed, raped, whatever.

I know that doesn't account for the other people who decline help from a shelter, but it accounts for a lot of them.

Linda Z

I'm gonna step in this and hope I don't stink afterwards...

There is far more involved to getting into a shelter than most people know.

A "wants and warrants" is usually done. If anything is found, you'll get a cot...and you'll find yourself arrested later on. Married people must produce marriage licenses to have a room together. People with children must produce birth certificates. Always, always, always, one must produce valid and current state picture ID issued by the state in which the shelter is located. Many shelters these days ask for at least one family contact "in case of emergency". Most shelters contract for time allowed. (In other words, how long one gets to stay in the shelter depends on how well one lives up to the contract. Usually the first 3 days are "freebies" to allow a person time to decide if they want to sign a contract. Most shelters charge, too. Either in money or in labor.) If one has a vehicle, one must also have proof of insurance, valid and current registration and valid and current driver's license...all valid and current in the state and community that the shelter is in. If one does not have these things, one is often denied ability to access one's vehicle without violating the contract.

It's very difficult to get into a shelter if you're not part of the community in which the shelter is located.

The whole concept behind many homeless shelters is that there is something terribly wrong with one if one needs a homeless shelter.

The contract usually consists of three things: 1) Behavior modification plans, 2) Work agreement and, 3) Program involvement.

These things are all wise and good. I have quite often participated in designing programs for homeless people.

The problem is that most homeless shelters are staffed not by professionals or even by paid staff...but by current and/or former clients.

Of course the "official" staff meets minimum guidelines and qualifications. But an "official" staff usually consists of a director and an assistant or two. The day-to-day operation of a homeless shelter is generally left up to the "volunteer" staff.

Shelters are usually the very last place anybody wants to go...because inside a shelter is an atmosphere much like inside a jail: the "trustees" run the show.

Even in the best shelter I have ever seen, survival inside is determined by how well one kisses the "trustees" butt.

I have opted to sleep under picnic tables before going to a shelter. And, yes, with my children. We were all safer.

I'll get the "leftovers" from my restaurant meal (the doggie bag), and if I pass someone in need, I'll give it to them... they've never turned it down... on a couple of occasione, I've passed a homeless person on the way to a restaurant and ordered a "to go" meal and dropped it off with them on the way home...

just a couple of thoughts...

What harm does it do to give someone a meal, leftovers or a few coins (dollars, even)? Doesn't hurt me at all and so what if they don't need it. They have to answer for that I've done what I felt right about doing.

TWI doesn't teach anything about doing or giving to people. All they care about is signing people up for their classes and being "especially good to the household".

Really sad.