GreaseSpot Cafe

Leviathan

Schwaigers

What do you guys know about Leviathan? TWI taught that it had to do with alcoholism, addiction, etc. I can't find anything from other sources which make this connection. Ideas? Stories?

I was reading Job and chapter 41 is really fascinating. What is Leviathan or the Spirit of Leviathan? Whatever it is, it sounds like we shouldn't mess with it. -Pat

I was also taught it was about alcohol. I heard VPW teach it but I do not recall the particulars... did he relate it to a python snake or something. I dunno.

Glad to see you are back I was concerned after the neck op when you were missing for a while everything okay?

I'm OK. I've become the bionic woman. Recovery from my surgery has given me time to think and read and paint and think some more.

The info I've found about Leviathan ranges from trouble within a church (gossiping, etc) to handling finances poorly. Everybody seems to have a different explanation, but they all seem to agree it represents some sort of power or force, and that it's not just a sea monster. I think I would prefer that it be a sea monster.

Where did TWI get the notion it represents alcoholism? -Pat

From "The Oxford Companion to the Bible" (edited by B. Metzger, M. Coogan, p.433-34, OUP, 1993), under the heading, "Leviathan":

"A mythological sea monster who was one of the primeval adversaries of the storm god. In the Ugaritic texts, Baal defeats Lothan...described as a seven-headed serpent, apparently identified with Baal's adversary Prince Sea. In the Bible Leviathan is also identified with the Sea (Job 3.8) and has many heads ( Ps.74:14), and his defeat by God is a prelude to creation (Ps.74:15-17). According to apocalyptic literature, that battle will be rejoined in the end time when the evil Leviathan will be finally defeated (Isa.27:1; Rev.12:3; 17:1-14; 19:20; 21:1), and, according to later tradition, given along with Behemoth as food to the Elect (2 Esd.6:49-52)..."

I'm sure you will discover much from any number of Bible dictionaries available.

But darn if I understand where the alcoholic stuff came from. Sea = alcohol? Maybe someone was drunk when they came up with that one.

Danny

TWI said Leviathan swallowed the Nile River, alcoholics drink a lot, hence leviathan is alcoholic. Hmmmmmm???

----------------------------------------------

Leviathan

a transliterated Hebrew word (livyathan), meaning "twisted," "coiled." In Job

3:8, Revised Version, and marg. of Authorized Version, it denotes the dragon

which, according to Eastern tradition, is an enemy of light; in 41:1 the

crocodile is meant; in Ps 104:26 it "denotes any large animal that moves by

writhing or wriggling the body, the whale, the monsters of the deep." This word is also used figuratively for a cruel enemy, as some think "the Egyptian host, crushed by the divine power, and cast on the shores of the Red Sea" (Ps

74:14). As used in Isa. 27:1, "leviathan the piercing [R.V. 'swift'] serpent,

even leviathan that crooked [R.V. marg. 'winding'] serpent," the word may

probably denote the two empires, the Assyrian and the Babylonian.

Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

quote:
Originally posted by TheInvisibleDan:

From "The Oxford Companion to the Bible" (edited by B. Metzger, M. Coogan, p.433-34, OUP, 1993), under the heading, "Leviathan":

"A mythological sea monster who was one of the primeval adversaries of the storm god. In the Ugaritic texts, Baal defeats Lothan...described as a seven-headed serpent, apparently identified with Baal's adversary Prince Sea. In the Bible Leviathan is also identified with the Sea (Job 3.8) and has many heads ( Ps.74:14), and his defeat by God is a prelude to creation (Ps.74:15-17). According to apocalyptic literature, that battle will be rejoined in the end time when the evil Leviathan will be finally defeated (Isa.27:1; Rev.12:3; 17:1-14; 19:20; 21:1), and, according to later tradition, given along with Behemoth as food to the Elect (2 Esd.6:49-52)..."

I'm sure you will discover much from any number of Bible dictionaries available.

But darn if I understand where the alcoholic stuff came from. Sea = alcohol? Maybe someone was drunk when they came up with that one.

Danny

Well if Leviathan is drinking up all the alcohol and will be fed to the elect, I'm all for it.

IMO

I learned from some messianic Jews that anything "from the sea" referred to Gentiles, whereas anything "from the land" referred to Isreal.

Don't know if this fits in here or not, and it may not even be correct. But it may help shed some light to those who are deeper thinkers than I. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Ever noticed a theme with TWI?

You take perfectly good piece of scripture and put a twist on it

Alcoholism is Leviathan-

This big huge MOnster--Gee you can't expect just a mere man to be able to control A monster now can you ? --Need another shot of Drambuie to deal with that--

Leviathan ---used once in JOb, twice in Psalms, and Once in Isaiah-

has always, outside of TWI, been taught to me as representative of Satan and the outreach, if you will, of his kingdom. He is a prince in his own right-a fallen, rebellious prince but a prince.

It is he who takes Jesus Christ to the mountain tops and shows him the whole of the earth --all to be Jesus' in return for worshiping Satan--

It is this kingdom of Satan's in it's totallity that is Leviathan. Most assuredly alcoholism, adultry etc are just some of the "Fruits" of that kindom but they ae not Leviathan in and of themselves.

Thanks Temple Lady and everybody. It's interesting that many of us have referred to TWI as "twisting" scriptures. In the big description of Leviathan in Job 41, it mentions how he/it twists and writhes.

When I have time, I'll list out the multitude of theories about what Leviathan represents. Lots of theories, but none of them has anything to do with alcohol or addiction. -Pat

I haven't heard about you, Song, but I have heard people assigned various devil spirits when they were m&a by the twi(t)s. I wonder what mine will be when I finally leave....

I remember lcm teaching on Leviathan but can't remember which class. I'll go through my syllabi when I can...I think I still owe someone information from one of them...