GreaseSpot Cafe

VPW and real research people

JustThinking

I doubt if he even read Karl Barth let alone knew him. There were some people he said he hung out with in the early days - Oral Roberst, Starr Daily and some others.

They aren't who I'd call heavies. But I also heard (and don't know where I heard it) that they ostracized him. Wouldn't surprize me if it happened and if he spun it his way.

People have posted here about how vpw's attendance at certain

weekend-long events somehow morphed into great friendships

where vpw learned so much from these people. It's probably

a lot like his claim of having taken all the Moody

correspondence course extant when he was studying, which Moody

has no record of.

He also claimed, at ROA '77 AND '79, to have reproved

Norman Vincent Peale face-to-face, where Peale claimed to

discard the Bible on a subject and prefer his 5 senses.

Anyone know if he actually MET Peale?

VPW probably talked to KB once

and Barth probably complimented him

just as he describes in PFAL.

VP could be charming. Hell, he charmed us out of our money, time, and pants, didn't he?

Barth and VP were kinda similar - they both held a sort of magical belief in the letter of the "Word" as holding secrets and answers to 'life's persistent questions.'

However, Barth's brilliant, scholarly, and erudite Church Dogmatics were in service of the church. Wierwille's borrowed and tortured bibical machinations were largely in service of his wiener. They were Wiener Dogmatics.

NB: Barth was barred from preaching in churches of his own denomination for having an improper relationship with his secretary. So Barth preached in prisons.

Would that Wierwille had found such a Christian solution.

Yes, JT, you're right.. it was MORE than a compliment. Why would VPW settle for just a compliment from a famous theologian? After all, he was the MOGFODAT.

Anyone got the exact quote?

VP passed it along to us in PFAL as an epiphany with large theological implications for KB (or whoever) to the best of my recollection.

I seem to recall Wierwille reporting that the theologian said "If what you say is true, we'd have to sit here for at least two weeks to work over this And I loved that man for that."

This is with reference to tongues et al being manifestations as opposed to 'gifts.' right?

Barth later wrote that 'the church that does not yearn for the gifts of the spirit is a lazy church'* Given this quote, I guess Barth (or whoever) was not fully or lastingly convinced re: gifts vs. manifestations.

* Is there any other kind? Disciples sleep while Jesus agonizes in the garden. (mixing metaphors) They dramatically jump off the lifeguard chair in such a way that their heads hide in the sand when drowners cry for help.

I once skimmed through Mrs. VP's book on her hubby. The encounters listed in there didn't exactly show a lifelong bond between VP and the other folks. More like a one-time meeting.

We do have some folks who were around HQ a long time. Could they provide insight into whether or not people like Stiles actually came to there?

Or even Billy Graham. I was told more than once that VPW and Graham knew each other in their early years but "Billy Graham sold out because he wanted a big ministry." Really, that was said at twig more than once.