GreaseSpot Cafe

How much authority can twi have over you?

WordWolf

Lots of thought provoking stuff here. As a once Jesus-Freak-Hippie-Flower Child, I must admit, that yes, to an extent, our youth and lack of life experience were exploited. But I also wonder about when the power plays actually began. Oh, believe me, even way back then there were signs of what was to become much more blatant and abusive.

Perhaps our inexperience allowed it, but then again, we were not totally blind. We were a generation that questioned established authority the likes of which had not been seen in a long time. We were free thinkers and dreamers. Perhaps it was those very characteristics that led to the increasing power plays and control methods. Perhaps the powers that "were" thought they had free run by exploiting our youthful inexperience, but found out quickly that we could not easily be contained, and thus began tightening the reins more and more and more. Glad I got out before they put the bit in my mouth. Others were not so lucky.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was Maya Angelou who said, "You do what you know how to do. Now that you know better you do better."

We did what we thought was the best thing to be doing at the time. We learned better and changed. Yes, we gave the twits authority over us, but some of it, imo, was taken from us very subltly.

Steve Hassan discusses this in his book about Releasing the Bonds. Not all of it applies, but an awful lot does. I think the wc would have experienced much more of this than the just plain wayfer.

1. Behavior Control

--> Regulation of individual’s physical reality

Where, how and with whom the member lives and associates

What food the persion eats and drinks

How much sleep the person is able to have

Financial dependence

Little or no time spent on leisure, entertainment, vacations

--> Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals

--> Need to ask permission for major decisions

--> Need to report thoughts, feelings and activities to superiors

--> Individualism discourated – “group think” prevails

--> Rigid rules and regulations

2. Information Control

--> Use of deception (holding back or distorting information, lying)

--> Limited access to non-cult sources of information

--> Compartmentalization of information – outsider vs insider doctrines

--> Spying on other members encouraged

--> Extensive use of cult generated information and propaganda

--> Unethical use of confession

--> Need for obedience and dependency

3. Thought Control

--> Black & White thinking – Us vs Them – Good vs Evil based on the group’s doctrine which must be adopted as the truth

--> - “Loaded” language:

“Words are the tools we use to think with. These “special” words constrict rather than expand understanding and can even stop thoughts altogether. They function to reduce complexities of experience into trite, platitudinouse “buzz words”

--> Only “good” and “proper” thoughts are encouraged

--> Use of thought stopping techniques which shut down “reality testing” by stopping “negative” thoughts and allowing only “good” thoughts.

--> Rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism. No critical questions about leader, doctrine or policy seen as legitimate

--> No alternative believe system viewed as legitimate, good or useful

4. Emotional Control:

--> Manipulate and narrow the range of a person’s feelings

--> Make the person feel that if there are ever any problems, it is always his fault, never the leader’s or the group’s.

--> Excessive use of guilt:

Identity guilt – not living up to your potential, your family, past, affiliations, thoughts, feelings, actions

Social guilt

Historical Guilt

--> Excessive use of fear

Fear of thinking independently

Fear of the “outside” world

Fear of enemies

Fear of losing one’s salvation (or eternal rewards)

Fear of leaving the group or being shunned by group

Fear of disapproval

--> Extremes of emotional highs and lows

--> Ritual and often public confession of “sins”

--> Phobia indocrination: inculcating irrational fears about ever leaving the group or even questioning the leader’s authority. The person under mind control cannot visualize a positive, fulfilled future without being in the group.

No happiness or fulfillment outside of the group

Terrible consequences will take place if you leave

Shunning of leave takers; fear of being rejected

Never a legitimate reason to leave. From the group’s perspective, people who leave are “weak”, “undisciplined”, “unspiritual”, ”worldly”, ”brainwashed by family or counselor” or “seduced by money, sex, rock and roll”