GreaseSpot Cafe

The Ways key belief

Refiner

Ex Cath.

Youre right. Private topic would be a bit rude of me at this stage.

Forgive a newbie.

I will hold the discussion about Witless date setting another time with Raf.

Or perhaps Raf could start a thread and I'll respond to it publicly and other readers can ignore if they choose.

Grizz:

I know a fair Whack about Mormonism. Ive been baptized into it (not much of an achievement) when I was researching their beliefs.

Im not a believer in anything. Im merely a wandering "Expert" in cultic beliefs and practises.

I was writing a book about cult groups which I commenced writing in 1992 and ended on December 31, 2000. During that time I joined dozens of millenial/ expectational/ hysterical movements.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words of Socrates, pthpthptphtphpthppthpthppthppthptphptphth!

I think that was Socrates, anyway.

Oh, no, wait. That wasn't him. That was Plato. Socrates is the one who said, "I drank what?"

i admit: i am an emotional big baby OK ?????

and i'm super sensitive to people who think they have a BIBLE (BIBLICAL) perspective

just ignore me

and james, thank you, you owe me crappola

and rafael, you were in the "way" for less than a year. it drives me nuts that you come across as an expert

There is nothing rude about a private topic, Refiner.

But the appropriate forum would be the Doctrinal. I'll post there.

EDIT: oops: you beat me to it.

We now return to "Flirting with Excy."

oh screw you all about the flirting crap

i just hate "know-it-alls"

oh yes here is a newbie from austrailia, let's show him how much we know the bible

puke

and rafael should know me better goddamnit

oh shoot she cursed, she can't be a real christian or whatever y'all are into

i better go take a pill

Refiner,

Just a quick question about JW's, if you will.

What, if anything, do they have to say about Reverend Miller of New York? You know, the guy that predicted the return of Christ was going to be in 1842, uh, no, make that 1843, uh, wait a minute, make that...

Anyway, from what I've read, it was Rev. Miller's ministry that gave birth to both the Seventh Day Adventists and the JW church (eventually). So, is there any acknowledgement of this guy in the "Kingdom Halls"?

George Arr.

Entirely correct.

The Witnesses are a spin off from Millerism.

Raf is holding a discussion of this matter in the Doctrinal forum.

I'll be happy to discuss it there, or here, as people see fit.

But go easy on me,I dont have the quotes to back my position right at my fingertips and might not be posting completely accurate details.

The general thrust is correct though.

Welcome refiner- You asked if TWI revises and or burns its materials- the answer is yes.

Before I left the minstry in 1995 I was told and helped to destroy all my materials, tapes books etc. from before about 1992. The classes to teach TWI doctrine were reworked, renamed and re-released in about 1995.

One reason why you may have been asked by another poster is because we have occasionaly had a "drive by poster" who often arrives with provocative topics and then promotes their own doctrine or agenda.

It appears to me that you only agenda is fellowship and curiosity which is always welcome and refreshing.

Like the philosphers on mars hill we are always looking for something new to discuss. icon_wink.gif;)-->

George, all history pertyaining to the churches roots in Millerism, and the predictive history of Russell has been expunged.

Witnesses do not have access to published materials of the Watchtower Society prior to about 1930.

It is a classic case of history fabrication and a book burning exercize to conceal the fact that they have uttered error and falsehood as "divine Truth".

Refiner,

One belief held by The Way, only briefly touched upon by Garth, is that a major key to the abundant life is tithing and then some. God's blessings to Israel were dependent on the tithe, and since Christians have been given so much more by God than Israel was, surely Christians can give more. In Wayspeak, giving above the tithe is called "abundant sharing"; and giving everything beyond your need is called "plurality giving."

Incidentally, I still give my present ministry more than 10% of my income, not because some psycho screams at me but becuase I do feel blessed by all God has given me.

George (not Aar)

P.S.: There really are a lot of posts for a new thread here. It's going to be a long weekend!

Refiner,

Re:"all history pertaining to the churches roots in Millerism, and the predictive history of Russell has been expunged."

I sorta thought that would be the case. Like with the Mormons and the early "religious" efforts of Joseph Smith, nobody knows much about it. Likewise in WayWorld, "Doctor" Wierwille's early ministry shenanigans and unrepentant sexual predations are seldom the topic of conversation at TWI functions.

Of course, the true believer - whatever brand of religiosity he smokes - is totally uninterested in anything that diminishes the sheen of his chosen denomination. Funny how the mind works. "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up!"

GSG Said:

Quote:

"In Wayspeak, giving above the tithe is called "abundant sharing"; and giving everything beyond your need is called "plurality giving."

And the more you give, the more you shall recieve.

Tenfold even.

That must be why so many ex cult victims are living in caravans and have no generations to continue their bloodline on.

Sigh.

,Refiner,

Actually, according to TWI, the tithe is sufficient for God to supply all one's physical needs. Abundant sharing and plurality giving are indicative of greater spiritual depth, and the rewards are in that category.

I'm confused by your statement that ex cult victims "have no generations to continue their bloodline on." I'm not sure how you're connecting financial giving with posterity.

George